Ryan Flynn

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blader

Reaction score
Had to start this, as I feel extremely sorry for this lad. For years, he's been a fairly average to good League 1 wide midfielder, who has the odd blinder, but generally a consistent workhorse who you know what to expect from him week-to-week. However, this lad has been a class above since moving to right back. He has more than made it his own, and fail to see there being a better right back in League 1 at the moment.... except the one who is about to dislodge him!

So, now what? Do we revert back to Flynn at RM, where he was reasonable but far from stand out, and drop JCR who (barring last night) has been exceptional of late? Or do we use him as back up for JB, due to the fixture congestion and rotate the two? But then there's Freeeman as well....

It's a difficult decision for Clough to make, and whatever the outcome, will probably be unfair on Ryan Flynn, who was my MOTM last night and has grown into the position with each passing game. Genuinely not sure what the solution is to this, as I don't particularly rate him as a winger, and have called for him at RB since his first season. Over to you, Nigel!

Flynn and JCR challenging for the RM spot.

Brayford RB with Alcock/Freeman/Flynn back up

Harris LB with Freeman backup.

Happy with our defensive and midfield options now. The squad is really coming together, just missing 1 striker IMO.

Had to start this, as I feel extremely sorry for this lad. For years, he's been a fairly average to good League 1 wide midfielder, who has the odd blinder, but generally a consistent workhorse who you know what to expect from him week-to-week. However, this lad has been a class above since moving to right back. He has more than made it his own, and fail to see there being a better right back in League 1 at the moment.... except the one who is about to dislodge him!

So, now what? Do we revert back to Flynn at RM, where he was reasonable but far from stand out, and drop JCR who (barring last night) has been exceptional of late? Or do we use him as back up for JB, due to the fixture congestion and rotate the two? But then there's Freeeman as well....

It's a difficult decision for Clough to make, and whatever the outcome, will probably be unfair on Ryan Flynn, who was my MOTM last night and has grown into the position with each passing game. Genuinely not sure what the solution is to this, as I don't particularly rate him as a winger, and have called for him at RB since his first season. Over to you, Nigel!

I agree it is harsh on him as he has done really well but him and Brayford linked up really well on the right wing together last season - though Coutts and Brayford do too. Personally I would play Brayford and Flynn in front of him with JCR as an impact sub. Coutts central.

We are going to be playing Saturday Tuesday, Saturday Tuesday so every player will be needed, hopefully the strentgh of our squad will be a big advantage in the run in.

I made this point last night, when Flynn plays down right midfield he always looks a much better player with a decent full back playing behind him. This was also noticeable in 11/12 when he had Matt Lowton behind him.

I don't see much of a future for Craig Alcock now at the club though

5/10 last night at best.

(Think Flynn and Brayford down the right overlapping and covering for each other will win us games on their own).

Simple! Drop JCR an have beard overlapping Flynn with Murphy on left wing. Flynn can cover for the beards forward runs, JCR I wouldn't hesitate to drop. Murphy is better than him so is the beard and flynns better at covering than JCR so easy decision really.

I don't think Flynn will be playing on Saturday. He was ready to drop at the end of last night (switched off to lose Eriksson) and apparently he could barely walk after the game with his injury.

Think from what derby said brayford only looked as good when coutts was in front of him although he looked pretty good for us last season without him

Flynn is great going forward, but unfortunately does not have the height or defensive abilities required to,cement the spot, however he will be wonderful swapping roles down our right with the beard, good cover with freeman and whispering bob down the left and we are well covered

Flynn has been struggling with injuries for awhile..was told he's having injections just to get on the pitch at the moment, which makes his performance last night all the more remarkable.

Well done Flynny!

It will strengthen us if Flynn is allowed to challenge for a winger position again. I've never been his biggest fan, but backed up by Brayford it's a very solid combination. Let's not forget though that JCR has had a very good season and should still have a big part to play.

Hope Flynn's achilles problem isn't the same as mine, which has forced me to quit football and jogging.

Felt Flynn was culpable for the equaliser yesterday. Easy to say because we were chasing the third but he should have been tucked in next to Basham. That said, he made the first so I have no real complaints with him but Brayford is a far better full back so it's a bit on a non-decision really.

You are an incredibly harsh judge, to describe his performances as fairly average would be unfair. Inconsistent maybe but fairly average isn't accurate.

I really think Flynn can play right back, however with Brayford I would expect us to play them together with JCR making way.
Flynn will have learnt a lot in his time of right back around positioning and the need to fill in etc and I think they will work really well together both offensively and possibly more importantly defensively.
Of course Coutts may further muddy this issue but that what I'd expect Clough to go with.

Brayford RB and Flynn RM. We'll then have the same full back/winger combo we had on both sides for the second half last season when we were winning games easily.

Ironically that is when Flynn started to find some consisten form.

You are an incredibly harsh judge, to describe his performances as fairly average would be unfair. Inconsistent maybe but fairly average isn't accurate.

I really think Flynn can play right back, however with Brayford I would expect us to play them together with JCR making way.
Flynn will have learnt a lot in his time of right back around positioning and the need to fill in etc and I think they will work really well together both offensively and possibly more importantly defensively.
Of course Coutts may further muddy this issue but that what I'd expect Clough to go with.

Anyone thought that Brayford might be after the CM position ??

I like the sound of a Beard/Flynn combo on the right. JCR will have a role to play as impact player from the bench.
Bob Harris looked out on his feet at the end so might miss Saturday and suspect Freeman will slot in there.
Shame about Alcock, looked decent at start of season, but suspect won't get many starts, especially as we have Terry Kennedy to cover the centre backs.
God knows where this leaves Collins!

Anyone thought that Brayford might be after the CM position ??
Interesting. Baxer withdrawn alongside Brayford and one other?
It could work but I don't think it's the plan because it means only one from Doyle/Reed/Scoogs/Wallace/DeMaio.

I like the sound of a Beard/Flynn combo on the right. JCR will have a role to play as impact player from the bench.
Bob Harris looked out on his feet at the end so might miss Saturday and suspect Freeman will slot in there.
Shame about Alcock, looked decent at start of season, but suspect won't get many starts, especially as we have Terry Kennedy to cover the centre backs.
God knows where this leaves Collins!
Collins is up for sale and will go on emergency loan if no takers in January for a permanent deal.
I think that tells us exactly where he is.

Simple! Drop JCR an have beard overlapping Flynn with Murphy on left wing. Flynn can cover for the beards forward runs, JCR I wouldn't hesitate to drop. Murphy is better than him so is the beard and flynns better at covering than JCR so easy decision really.
You wouldn't hesitate to drop JCR? Wow.

He's been one of our top performers, and top attackers, in a team that's too often afraid to attack.

I'd really hesitate to drop JCR, but I understand the dilema.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom