'Ruthless' and 'Consequences'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
When I saw the teamsheet yesterday I was a little confused. With all the talk of being 'ruthless' and that there will be 'consequences' for players I was expecting a surprise or two.

What I actually got was:

Brayford for Freeman (which was expected when he returned)
Edgar at the back - (which was expected when he returned)
JCR for an injured Baxter
Coutts for Reed (expected)
Done for Adams (The only 'ruthless' thing that may have happened)

I realise Adkins is very limited in the changes he can make but these changes were neither ruthless nor signified consequences. A bit odd really.

It's why many take his interviews with a pinch of salt. I couldn't give a toss what he has to say anymore with his "positiveness" and little cliches. Actions speak louder than words now and though he has to be given time his interviews frankly get on my tits

When I saw the teamsheet yesterday I was a little confused. With all the talk of being 'ruthless' and that there will be 'consequences' for players I was expecting a surprise or two.

What I actually got was:

I realise Adkins is very limited in the changes he can make but these changes were neither ruthless nor signified consequences. A bit odd really.
I agree entirely . When Adkins said there will be consequences i was thinking is that a knee jerk comment or will we see a whole load of changes.

I take the point about limited options but we still do have a big squad again accepting we have some injuries .

So what can we read into his comment and actions / what do we know from his post Barnsley comments
1) he sees long as the current number 1. To concede 4 and still play there can be no other conclusion surely.
2) Baxter is injured or would have played I think
3) anyone who is on the fringe and fit might as well pack in now. Flynn ?? See below
4) Kieron Wallace must have done something wrong or has an injury
5) Diego is finished under Adkins
6) we either can't or he does not believe recalling any loan players is worth it .
7) he is confused by Collins . Takes him off at half time against Shrewsbury town leaving some blades fans thinking he's finished at the lane but then plays him again.
8) billy sharp and dean Hammond must have start clauses in their contract. For league games of course. Please let me just say I didn't go yesterday and here Hammond did well which is pleasing that he might at last be showing why there was so much fuss... Plus .. I like billy sharp and looking at highlights he got into some great positions but he's bang out of form .
9) and to the big one ... He clearly feels we are still in this ... Promotion that is ... Which is why he hasn't been as radical as he implied or some thought. He's made the comments in the heat of the moment after Shrewsbury then thought about it thinking I can't change all 11 ... Well actually he could only have have changed 9 !!

If he thinks at this moment in time we are still in the promotion race then he's either deluded or he's been told he has a small fortune to spend in January. I'll go for the first option!

Consequences and ruthlessness for Adkins yesterday seem to have been:

1) Blame Baxter for the defending on Tuesday
2) Drop Baxter as a result

If of course he isnt really injured as has been speculated elsewhere.

I feel this is all getting a bit silly now. What would the op have liked him to do. Play half a dozen youngsters? Let's say he had made wholesale changes and lost, he would have looked a fool.
From what I hear, they played ok, made plenty of chances and put on an improved performance. That's something we can build on and hopefully start winning a few matches.

I feel this is all getting a bit silly now. What would the op have liked him to do. Play half a dozen youngsters? Let's say he had made wholesale changes and lost, he would have looked a fool.
From what I hear, they played ok, made plenty of chances and put on an improved performance. That's something we can build on and hopefully start winning a few matches.
We were back to average Edin. No more no less against the worst side I have seen us play this season. We have a very large squad and he wouldn't have had to play the youngsters, however you know your in a predicament when he have to replace utter shite like Collins with utter shite like Jay Mac. It's fair to say our side is just full of it at the moment

It's why many take his interviews with a pinch of salt. I couldn't give a toss what he has to say anymore with his "positiveness" and little cliches. Actions speak louder than words now and though he has to be given time his interviews frankly get on my tits

I would say this is true for the majority of managers in the majority of interviews mate. Most of them talk b******s to be honest, and don't like to give anything away, especially after poor results.

I would say this is true for the majority of managers in the majority of interviews mate. Most of them talk b******s to be honest, and don't like to give anything away, especially after poor results.
Maybe it's his ultra positiveness when we are mid table wallowing in a sea of shite, playing nothing like promotion candidates that gets to me. I know there is little he can say but his actions can be so different....... Yet they aren't. He seems too busy looking for the bloody positives he never gets around to sorting the negatives out!!

Maybe it's his ultra positiveness when we are mid table wallowing in a sea of shite, playing nothing like promotion candidates that gets to me. I know there is little he can say but his actions can be so different....... Yet they aren't

I know what you mean, a scunny fan warned me about this when we signed him. By all accounts he used to drive a lot of them up the wall with his interviews, but it did work out okay for them in the end.

Like you say, it's what happens on the pitch that is important and right now things are lacking, no matter what anyone says.

I'm confused why people think the "consequences" spoken about were necessarily going to be focused just on the next game. Listening to the interview it felt more like he was referring to long-term futures of people at the club – something he can't really do much about for another month.

It's very frustrating at the moment with so many players off the boil yet getting picked week in week out. For a side with a huge squad he has too many favourites or the rest are even worse than what we have. I suspect a bit of both. I'm assuming he like the rest of us can't wait to get to January though his current track record for recruitment here is iffy at best

I'm confused why people think the "consequences" spoken about were necessarily going to be focused just on the next game. Listening to the interview it felt more like he was referring to long-term futures of people at the club – something he can't really do much about for another month.
Take your point...... Only time will tell

What he needs to do is get new players, we need to repeat the che Adams style signing and mix them with experienced heads, going for the old boys will not work in this division, we need a mix of experience, young talent and a desire to grab each game by the throat...

Can't understand all the uproar.
The consequences are perfectly clear. The Geese have been cooked and they are using the resultant fat for sorting out the roast potatoes.

What more do you want, for goodness sake?

What I actually got was:

so changing 5 , thats half the outfield isnt being ruthless
you get fined for doing that in the JPT
HOW MANY CHANGES WERE YOU EXPECTING 11 ?
As far as Im aware there are no such thing as start clauses in any of our league one contracts,

If he thinks at this moment in time we are still in the promotion race then he's either deluded or he's been told he has a small fortune to spend in January. I'll go for the first option!
Hahahahaha ! Small fortune :D this is Sheffield United we are talking about, anymore silly comments like that and it's the twats thread for you :D:D:D:D

so changing 5 , thats half the outfield isnt being ruthless
As far as Im aware there are no such thing as start clauses in any of our league one contracts,

4 of which were natural changes?

4 of which were natural changes?

thats a new term for me , natural , when have changes have ever been natural
he could have started brayford and Edgar on the bench I thought that was natural
If you have to make 5 changes its difficult to do more

we scored 2 v shrewsbury so there were some deserved a place , so cant change 8 or 9 or the cohesive bits we had go out the window

Hahahahaha ! Small fortune :D this is Sheffield United we are talking about, anymore silly comments like that and it's the twats thread for you :D:D:D:D
Read it carefully....... I never said he had been given a small fortune? Obviously there is no chance of that!
Now whos looking the daft twat!!!!

I agree entirely . When Adkins said there will be consequences i was thinking is that a knee jerk comment or will we see a whole load of changes.

I take the point about limited options but we still do have a big squad again accepting we have some injuries .

So what can we read into his comment and actions / what do we know from his post Barnsley comments
1) he sees long as the current number 1. To concede 4 and still play there can be no other conclusion surely.
2) Baxter is injured or would have played I think
3) anyone who is on the fringe and fit might as well pack in now. Flynn ?? See below
4) Kieron Wallace must have done something wrong or has an injury
5) Diego is finished under Adkins
6) we either can't or he does not believe recalling any loan players is worth it .
7) he is confused by Collins . Takes him off at half time against Shrewsbury town leaving some blades fans thinking he's finished at the lane but then plays him again.
8) billy sharp and dean Hammond must have start clauses in their contract. For league games of course. Please let me just say I didn't go yesterday and here Hammond did well which is pleasing that he might at last be showing why there was so much fuss... Plus .. I like billy sharp and looking at highlights he got into some great positions but he's bang out of form .
9) and to the big one ... He clearly feels we are still in this ... Promotion that is ... Which is why he hasn't been as radical as he implied or some thought. He's made the comments in the heat of the moment after Shrewsbury then thought about it thinking I can't change all 11 ... Well actually he could only have have changed 9 !!
I believe we also changed the formation? I don't think we've lost under Adkins when we've started in a 4-3-3.
In my opinion bergen fans maybe interperating ruthless wrongly he had to put a team out which could beat Barnsley (and we deserved to win in my opinion) with the players available that team was probably right.It's the end of season when being ruthless really kicks in .,players contracts will not be extended. He probably has had enough of certain players but cannot pull the plug midway through a season and transfer window .He has chopped and changed but at present cannot find a winning formula with his squad ,I'm sure things will improve but even an optimist like me wonders whether there is enough within the ranks to push up to the promotion positions (I include play offs in that). Brayford coming back is a massive lift for us all he was tremendous considerING how much game time he's had since coming back from injury he never put a foot wrong missed one header all game (nobody wins em all.)brilliant example to the others. It's still all to play for now let's have another good run in the FA cup.it was the catalyst two years ago.

so changing 5 , that's half the outfield isnt being ruthless
I must admit, the team was a surprise for me yesterday after the "consequences" comment. It was as close as Adkins has come to saying that these players aren't good enough and I expected to see at least a couple bombed out of the club entirely.

As it was he swapped Done for Sammon, dropped a couple of kids to the bench and put Brayford back in the side.

Baxter is the only one that might fit the consequences comment but it sounds like he could be injured. Overall, one of my concerns over Adkins is that he isn't being hard enough on these players. Only Baxter missing from the match day squad after Tuesday isn't any sort of consequences at all really.

You didn't watch him did you ?
I did. He worked as hard as anyone else, that I don't question but he is woefully short on confidence at the moment and it's affecting his decision making. I'm not slagging him off but he needs a breather. Being his third time around he's under immense pressure to succeed ( probably as much from himself as anyone else) and the more things don't work out for him at the moment the harder it gets

One thing (maybe not the only thing :p) Adkins has in common with Weir is management speak - they both interview like they have been to a management training course on positivity. When there is little to be positive about then you are into diversion and flannel. Trouble is everyone but them know it is a load of tripe they are flogging at times. In some ways, though it would run contrary to all the positive motivational management theory, it would be more refreshing (and may have more impact) if he came out and said that "most of these players are technically weak and don't have the guts for a fight and we need to replace them - its down to them to prove me wrong".

Not seen the Barnsley game yet but at the back our options at CH are so limited (even more so now Kennedy is out on loan) - its the elephant in the room. Top of the shopping list. Keeper wise neither inspire confidence. I'm sick of the million to one shots going in and neither command the box. Admittedly what is protecting them does not help.

I'm glad to see Brayford back for Freeman, who really is a poor defender to my mind - loses his man too often, especially at set pieces and he appears to lose concentration too easily. Personally I don't think Kieran Wallace did a great deal wrong at LB and is looks a better defender than Harris to my amateur eye. If Harris is a shoe-in at the moment I would consider giving K Wallace a try in the Doyle role as Hammond and Coutts have the same problem Doyle had - lack of pace. I would like to see Cuvelier given a go there as he is a six footer and certainly does have pace and is busy, but also injured a lot. Sigh. Someone like Millwall's Williams, Morsy at Chesterfield or even Ryan at Fleetwood would be more what we need. I like the look of Sawyers at Walsall too. I'd take Bradley Dack for Baxter.

Sammon offers little in the air for a big bloke, is an indifferent finisher and I would send him back and use the money elsewhere. From what I have seen on BP someone with a better presence in the air is needed up front I think.

that was how I interpreted it as well.

Back
Top Bottom