RLWC at Bramall Lane?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/...mall-lane-rugby-league-world-cup-3163142.aspx
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/37783226

Maybe some international recognition for BDTBL? And you have no idea how torn I was as to where this should be posted.

I hope that this World Cup gets the billing it deserves in the Media. Sadly Rugby League is so far down the list to things like Womens football that its rarely reported. So it does need a proper show piece

Hosting games at the lane would be great for the sport, but the ground would need to be full, so pack it with School kids and a proper fan park with activies to get people interested, otherwise it will just be another wasted opportunity

I'd hazard a guess the attendance at the lane would only top 2,000 if England were playing

I'd hazard a guess the attendance at the lane would only top 2,000 if England were playing

Agree, that's a concern.
South Yorkshire doesn't seem to have any interest in Rugby League.

I went on holiday a few years ago and met some young lads from Leeds.
Surprisingly non of them were that bothered about Leeds United
However they all supported Leeds Rhinos and were telling me how Rugby League is such a great sport
They said it's much more exciting than football and deserves better coverage.

I told them I'd never seen a Rugby League match, didn't know the rules and had no interest.
Told them that hardly anyone in Sheffield has any interest in Rugby League, they seemed shocked.

The significant stat to demonstrate that Sheffield is not a Rugby city is

When Sheffield Eagles reached the cup final against Wigan we sold 8,000 tickets and were well outnumbered by the Wigan fans.

A few years later United played Wednesday in the semi final at Wembley.
All 74,000 tickets were sold by lunchtime when they went on sale.
Also remember there were so many people queing and camping out for tickets 2 days before they went on sale that the police made both ticket offices open 24 hours earlier than planned.

Last edited:

I think 2000 is pessimistic but agree that crowds wouldn't be brilliant, there's not much appetite for the sport here. The West Yorkshire stadia would make more sense, but it depends if they see it as an opportunity to increase the sport's popularity here, or if they just want guaranteed large, paying crowds at every game.

I think 2000 is pessimistic but agree that crowds wouldn't be brilliant, there's not much appetite for the sport here. The West Yorkshire stadia would make more sense, but it depends if they see it as an opportunity to increase the sport's popularity here, or if they just want guaranteed large, paying crowds at every game.
Is it? I've never been to a rugby game in my life and I certainly wouldn't wake up in a morning and fancy heading into town to watch Samoa v Italy.
The tickets will need to be very, very cheap to attract us football loving dee dars

Reading the article there's a couple of hurdles to go before it happens; England need to be successful in their bid and, if they are, they still need to choose BL from the shortlist.
But if that does happen, I'd imagine they'll be quite a few RL fans from West Yorkshire that would be prepared to venture the huge distance to Sheffield to watch games.

Iam sick of our ground being used for rugby.Glad the eagles arent coming back, It ruins the pitch. Unless the rlwc is played july-august which would be fine, the money we get for rugby games is minimal anyway.

As someone who was lifted over the turnstiles in due sepia-toned fashion at Hunslet in the early 70's, I have to say I think the sport is pretty much approaching its death knell.

1973-old-stand-2.jpg

Agree, that's a concern.
South Yorkshire doesn't seem to have any interest in Rugby League.

I went on holiday a few years ago and met some young lads from Leeds.
Surprisingly non of them were that bothered about Leeds United
However they all supported Leeds Rhinos and were telling me how Rugby League is such a great sport
They said it's much more exciting than football and deserves better coverage.

I told them I'd never seen a Rugby League match, didn't know the rules and had no interest.
Told them that hardly anyone in Sheffield has any interest in Rugby League, they seemed shocked.

The significant stat to demonstrate that Sheffield is not a Rugby city is

When Sheffield Eagles reached the cup final against Wigan we sold 8,000 tickets and were well outnumbered by the Wigan fans.

A few years later United played Wednesday in the semi final at Wembley.
All 74,000 tickets were sold by lunchtime when they went on sale.
Also remember there were so many people queing and camping out for tickets 2 days before they went on sale that the police made both ticket offices open 24 hours earlier than planned.

Maidenhead always says that L***s people support the Loiners and out of towners (e.g. Donny) the Dirties.

It doesn't ruin the pitch.
Didnt go to the lane 2 years ago then when eagles were there ?, if you did it was obviously a complete mess from november to march.Rugby churned up mud, unrooted grass and left large divets. it would be a bit better now we have a hybrid pitch but still, we dont need rugby ruining our pitch.

Is there a major city in England that's less interested in either code of Rugby than Sheffield is?

My experience of either code at school consisted of one two hour PE lesson, and until I went to University I'd met the grand total of one person who played, watched, or liked either code.

I also remember being at Ipswich the day England won the Rugby World Cup and singing en masse "you can stick your f****** chariot up your arse". The Blades support seemed completely indifferent to the win.

I predict the Sheffield eagles will not exist this time next year ,maybe Xmas ,well done Sheffield Council and all the backhanders that closed Don Valley stadium and all the reneged promises.

It certainly won't do the pitch any good.

The extra pitch markings are hard to get rid of - weren't they visible for most of the relegation season?

I don't want us to become the go to place for rugby matches to be played.

There should be places for the Eagles to play other than the football stadiums. Closing Don Valley was a horrendous yet typically Sheffield decision.

Is there a major city in England that's less interested in either code of Rugby than Sheffield is?

My experience of either code at school consisted of one two hour PE lesson, and until I went to University I'd met the grand total of one person who played, watched, or liked either code.

I also remember being at Ipswich the day England won the Rugby World Cup and singing en masse "you can stick your f****** chariot up your arse". The Blades support seemed completely indifferent to the win.

The ex-grammar schools were the ones that played rugby union in the 70s/80s.

I don't want rugby played at Bramall Lane. Not because of the damage it'll do to the pitch, but because rugby of any code is fucking shit.

It certainly won't do the pitch any good.

The extra pitch markings are hard to get rid of - weren't they visible for most of the relegation season?

I don't want us to become the go to place for rugby matches to be played.

There should be places for the Eagles to play other than the football stadiums. Closing Don Valley was a horrendous yet typically Sheffield decision.
With the Desso pitch it doesn't have any effect, just look at some of the other grounds that hold both football and rugby (Liberty Stadium been a prime example). No visible lines either if done properly.

If it gets extra revenue in and doesn't ruin the pitch (which it doesn't) then I don't know why it would bother people.

Dont forget that from its creation, Bramall Lane has hosted various sports.

Back
Top Bottom