RIP Reg Mathewson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ancient blade

Reaction score
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reg Matthewson
Personal information
Full name
Reginald Matthewson
Date of birth 6 August 1939
Place of birth Sheffield, England
Date of death 30 August 2016 (aged 77)
Height 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
Playing position Defender
Club information
Current team

Retired
Senior career*
Years
Team Apps (Gls)
1958–1968
Sheffield United 149 (3)
1968–1973 Fulham 158 (1)
1973–1976 Chester 87 (1)
1978–1979 Bangor City
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.

Reg Matthewson (6 August 1939 – 30 August 2016)[1] was an English professional footballer. He played as a defender in The Football League for three clubs, making 394 appearances in the process.

Playing career[edit]
Matthewson began his professional career in his home city of Sheffield with Sheffield United, whom he signed a professional contract with in June 1958. He had to wait until 1961–62 for his league debut, with the Blades playing in the top-flight of English football at the time.

After six years in the Blades’ first-team, Matthewson joined Fulham in February 1968 for £30,000,[2] beginning a five-year spell at Craven Cottage that included one promotion and two relegations. In January 1973 Matthewson dropped into the Fourth Division when he joined Chester, initially on loan. He made his debut in a 1–1 away draw at Aldershot,[3] with his home debut a fortnight later ending in a 5–0 win over Darlington. Matthewson quickly joined Chester permanently and became club captain when Bob Wallace moved to Aldershot.[2]

The 1974–75 season was to be a final glory for Matthewson, as he skippered Chester to a first promotion from Football League Division Four and on an unlikely run to the Football League Cup semi-finals. Matthewson featured in all of Chester’s eight games during the cup run and missed just two league games, but he was to rarely play after promotion. His final game for Chester was a 3–1 derby defeat to Wrexham in April 1976.[2]

Matthewson had a spell on the Chester coaching staff and then joined Bangor City as player-coach, working under his former Chester team-mate Stuart Mason.[2] He later had a spell assisting Graham Turner at Shrewsbury Town [2] and away from football worked for a chemical fertiliser company in Ellesmere Port.[4] His nephew Trevor Matthewson played professionally. Matthewson now lives in a small village close to Chester and is retired from work.

Honours[edit]
Fulham

Chester

I remember him as right-half un United's first team in 1965 when I first came to Sheffield. I always liked him as a player and never understood why he was transferred.

reg and his sawn off wellies playing for st peters XI tonight
solid performer , nice guy
condolences to his family
a final cheer for the lad
go on reg

Good player was Reg, different player to Joe Shaw.
Was poached by Fulham where he went onto play well for them being a regular in the side.
RIP Reg.
He wanted to leave in the first few games of the 1967/68 season despite being a regular starter but didnt ask for a transfer until after the 2-1 home win against Newcastle in September. He was quoted in the Morning Telegraph that he didnt want to ask for a transfer until after we had won a match. After that Harris didnt start him again in a league match until his move to Fulham in February 1968

Before my time but RIP Reg
Obviously made a lasting impression on some of our older fans

Think he played at the back with Mallender sweeper and stopper perfect combo.

I've posted this before but under the circumstances feel it gives an insight to how football and players have changed.

As kids during the school holidays we often went to watch the Blades train at the Lane or up at Ball inn. One day wearing our scarves and clutching magazines and autograph books we started the long treck up Myrtle Road when this car pulls up and offers to give us a lift. It was Reg Matthewson. What a gent. Chatted away about all things Blades.

In my opinion he was never the ideal replacement for Joe Shaw ( we probably had to wait for Eddie Colquhoun before we found a really sound centre half) but as a guy you couldn't find anyone better.

In addition Fulham's £30,000 in February 1968 could well have funded the purchase of TC.

RIP Reg.

R.I.P thoughts go out to his family at times like these

As I recall as an 11 year old in 1967 the song went.

The works never done for Reg Matthewson, there's always something new.

For the time look up Cat Stevens Matthew and Son

RIP Reg
Yes, memories almost forgot, I remember singing the song - I would be 14, wonderful times

RIP Reg

I can mirror what #Bornablade says. Lived across from Ball Inn and the players were indeed a different breed from today's motley crew.
After Joe Shaw, Reg was, lets say, "different".
A battler, but not in Joe's class.
RIP Reg!

Back
Top Bottom