RIP Lynn Anderson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Indeed. A song forever associated in my mind with TC, Woody et al. Even now the song evokes memories of the noise of the kop, the smell of beer, fags and sweat and a pre-match atmosphere that hooked me forever into being a Blade.

RIP Lynn.

I beg your pardon...........

Slightly before my time (or, more accurately, as a child I had nobody to take me to the games), but was this song played before each game or at half-time?

Slightly before my time (or, more accurately, as a child I had nobody to take me to the games), but was this song played before each game or at half-time?
Usually played before the match....I think it was played most matches in the early to mid 70's

As a Prog Rock fan I hated it but acknowledge its place in history. Just built my own Rose Garden.

At my old school, St.Barnabas (now the bed shop opp The Golden Lion), my teacher was a big Blades fan and he sang that song all the time.

Apparently, 'Rose Garden' was played at every home game during the 70-71 promotion season, apart from the Hull City match, the only home game we lost that season.

Although it wasn't released until October 1970!

You may be confusing it with "Ilkley Moor" which I believe is the song that was missed on that night... or maybe that applies to both songs....

(The song that should have been played that night is "Ken Knighton is a murderous, butchering, leg-breaking, sly, cheating dirty fucking bastard"... but apparently it wasn't due for release for another 2 weeks).

The song that should have been played that night is "Ken Knighton is a murderous, butchering, leg-breaking, sly, cheating dirty fucking bastard"... but apparently it wasn't due for release for another 2 weeks

No, no, no. It went like this (to the tune of "we shall overcome"):

"Ken Knighton is a murderous, butchering, leg-breaking, sly, cheating dirty fucking bast-aa-ard
But he'll have to play for Wednesday as punishment one daaay
Chris Simpkin is also a murderous, butchering, leg-breaking, sly, cheating dirty fucking bast-aa-ard
But he'll have to serve two years in prison one daaay
And also pay over £90k under the Proceeds of Crime legislation
On balance Knighton has the worst of the deeeal..."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...surrender-163-90-000-made-from-vice-1-2570450

Indeed. A song forever associated in my mind with TC, Woody et al. Even now the song evokes memories of the noise of the kop, the smell of beer, fags and sweat and a pre-match atmosphere that hooked me forever into being a Blade.

RIP Lynn.

Beautifully put.

Another favourite in that era was, dawn, tie a yellow ribbon.

No, no, no. It went like this (to the tune of "we shall overcome"):

"Ken Knighton is a murderous, butchering, leg-breaking, sly, cheating dirty fucking bast-aa-ard
But he'll have to play for Wednesday as punishment one daaay
Chris Simpkin is also a murderous, butchering, leg-breaking, sly, cheating dirty fucking bast-aa-ard
But he'll have to serve two years in prison one daaay
And also pay over £90k under the Proceeds of Crime legislation
On balance Knighton has the worst of the deeeal..."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...surrender-163-90-000-made-from-vice-1-2570450

I had read about Peter Storey (played for Arsenal and England- TC said he was the most difficult opponent he has played against) running a brothel some years ago but didnt realise Chris Simpkin did the same until I read your post. He was dirty in that Blades v Hull match that evening but he scored a stunning equaliser at the Kop End

40 odd thousand there, no tickets needed in those days, just get there early and pay on the gate. Never seen the John St terrace as full as it was that night. Bert was on the Kop, we thought that we might have blown promotion, but it all went right after that defeat.,

I thought Hull had just signed Bill Baxter from Ipswich. I felt he was putting it about during that game.

I felt the same after that defeat as I did when we lost to Watford at home in the 2005/2006 promotion season. On both occasions felt we'd blown our chances.

Rose Garden - memories of going to the Lane with the young woman I lost my virginity to.

We're still good friends even to this day.

RIP Lynn Anderson

You may be confusing it with "Ilkley Moor" which I believe is the song that was missed on that night... or maybe that applies to both songs.... QUOTE]

I think that the record forgotten on the night of the Hull match was You can do Magic by Limmie and the Family Cookin.

For younger viewers, the song behind KonKan's 'I beg your pardon'

My dad wasn't much bothered about music and I think Rose Garden was the first (and possibly only) record he ever bought. At weddings he'd only dance with my mum if they played Simon Says and You Can Do Magic as well.

Funnily enough,there were only two occasions when he took me to the match and ended up angry enough to forget his parental responsibilities and one of them was after the Hull match when he insisted on telling some Hull fans what a set of dirty, cheating bastards there team were. The other occasion was when Fulham came back to beat us 3-2 in 1968, when his anger was directed at the pigfans who had turned up and were supporting Fulham. at a match that more or less saw us relegated.

My first match was Boxing Day 1970 - and I didn't see us lose until the following October to Stoke. I didn't really understand the concept of defeat after such a heady introduction to my Blades supporting career.

My recollection , which I'm fairly sure is bang on , was that Rose Garden was played routinely when the opposition ran out ( teams emerged separately back then kids) sometimes being rudely interrupted about 75% through with the rather more raucous strains of Ilkley Moor accompanying the introduction of TRAWW.

In the days when a massed crowd of football fans looked only slightly groovier than a Lowry potrait, I can still see Steady Eddie leading out 11 red and white Gods standing out like beacons against the cigarette fug and monochrome 'leisurewear'.

Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be ...... Pass the Bovril ....

Back
Top Bottom