Ring of steel v Spurs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
Just read on the Cricketers facebook that the wonderful SYP will put up the ring of steel to protect Spurs fans again!

Personally I find this disgusting treatment of the majority of fans. Are we really so bad? Is there any other club in the UK or even Europe that implements such a system?

In recent seasons I've found home and away fans mixing and it's been great. So far away from the '90's and the trouble then. Watching United nowadays seems much more of a family atmosphere before and after games.

I'm sure there are pockets of trouble and going back to the pigs game with the ring of steel, it didn't stop pig fans running around taking pot shots at blades fans

We're not chuffing animals and it sends the wrong message to ordinary fans

Just read on the Cricketers facebook that the wonderful SYP will put up the ring of steel to protect Spurs fans again!

Personally I find this disgusting treatment of the majority of fans. Are we really so bad? Is there any other club in the UK or even Europe that implements such a system?

In recent seasons I've found home and away fans mixing and it's been great. So far away from the '90's and the trouble then. Watching United nowadays seems much more of a family atmosphere before and after games.

I'm sure there are pockets of trouble and going back to the pigs game with the ring of steel, it didn't stop pig fans running around taking pot shots at blades fans

We're not chuffing animals and it sends the wrong message to ordinary fans

But whatever fuck up of it SYP make of a job these days they can't sweep it under the carpet any more so understand the wall, they need to protect themselves.

Genuine question - Assuming that I'm minding my own business and not seeking to engage in any criminal activity what laws are SYP imposing which allow them to stop me walking down a public highway if I so wish?

Said it ages ago on bm forum..

They've bought them at great cost and need to justify the expenditure every opportunity, if english football culture changed dramatically in a way like the travelling scotland fans have shown and we all decided to go out and enjoy each others company, the police would be screwed on matchdays for their easy overtime.

I find the police more intimidating than the away fans on matchdays...

Genuine question - Assuming that I'm minding my own business and not seeking to engage in any criminal activity what laws are SYP imposing which allow them to stop me walking down a public highway if I so wish?

To prevent a possible Breach of the Peace maybe?

I would love to see unsegregated crowds at a football match, done as an experiment at a low stakes game towards the end of a season. Or because we don't have any of them at a Rovers v Utd game (I'm from Doncaster and have been to hundreds of Rovers games)

I always seem to have to get tickets for the wrong bit of a ground anyway and I suppose I'm by now a middle-aged, middle-class (though skint) conversationalist contrarian and I enjoyed a chat with my next-door-neighbours at Spurs and do wherever I go.

Trouble with segregation is it makes morons feel safe to shout whatever abuse they like at the opposition same outside the ground where only the smallest minority of morons have the guts to actually back it up with fisticuffs.

If the crowds were allowed to mix, the 30 year-old children who are ever so brave in their own environment would have to grow up quickly.

I have a dream,

South Yorkshire Police have a nightmare.
They should grow up or risk being taken into special measures in next 3 years? Look at how they handled breaking into Cliff Richard's house, laughable....

Basically, if they think there is a genuine threat to public safety that necessitates the "ring of steel" they can do it. If you tried to breach it, they would arrest you for causing a breach of the peace and it would then be left for you to challenge what they did subsequently. All would be decided by whether or not a judge considered there was a genuine threat that necessitated the ring of steel.

I do a lot of cases like that involving football fans. If you do decide to test the principle, let me know :)

vorpal blade segregation in the ground is fine, it's part of what creates the atmosphere at big games, but not even allowing normal fans to mix really pisses me off

Tezza1889 is absolutely spot on, this is driven by police. They of course will treat it as a success, but it's actually counter productive.

From a ancient law , which is still in force , working on the principle that we are all Freemen of the Land , they cannot stop you going anywhere. However with the police being in riot gear , dark night , ready for trouble , they will be up for a battle .

The hardest football crew in the UK is SYP . There philosophy is take no prisoners . Law and order does not always come into the equation.

UTB

To be fair it did kick off after the game last Wednesday ,they had a fence up outside where you came out but it just moved the fighting down the road to where the fence ended.

But on what grounds do they assume I'm planning on bludgening somebody with a Crayola?

Waiting out side a shop near Deepdale I was approached by two ladies in their 30's who asked if I was going to the match.

Puzzled I said yes and they asked who they meaning Preston were playing.

Sheffield United I replied, why?

We don't like football but we have just been passed by a coach load of fans and a lad about 6 gave us the finger.

Most bizarre conversation but now we know Presty went to Preston.

:D

I said it would happen the day after the first leg. Snowball fights over the steel fence it is then. (I'm not condoning violence, comment said purely in jest)

I did suggest to our Jim that we park their supporters coaches in Broomhall maze of flats, just to give them a taste of their own medicine, and ensure you don't park them in numerical order.

How does this ring of steel malarky work then. I need to work out my escape plan.

How does this ring of steel malarky work then. I need to work out my escape plan.

The road on which your stand is situated is basically divided down the white lines by a 6ft sold metal barrier. spurs filtered onto one side, united on the other.

It's amazing what you can get in your Christmas crackers these days...

When these have been deployed before, the side roads off of Bramall Lane are also closed off by said barrier.

The road on which your stand is situated is basically divided down the white lines by a 6ft sold metal barrier. spurs filtered onto one side, united on the other.
If I'm walking from, say, The Golden Lion to John Street, will I have to walk along Cherry Street and round past the Kop to get there?

Its a huge steel wall that just blocks the side roads filtering out onto Bramall Lane. Just means that you won't be amongst all us violent, thug, scum Blades when you come out of the ground.

A bit like that walkway from the station that Millwall have then, Cheers for the info.

Think Belfast in the 80's or Jerusalem nowadays. South Yorkshire Police are a fucking joke. One minute, total overkill with this 'ring of steel' bollox. Won't stop them letting away fans out straight away in the next 'high risk' game and deliberately inciting trouble. Got to justify all that overtime and a couple of fucking helicopters.

And if it all goes wrong? Altered statements and early retirement.

Back
Top Bottom