Ridiculous away fixtures

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

coaxingstar71

First 10 yards are in the head
Reaction score
I've been looking at our fixtures to choose which away games I could go to and I've realised we've got several ridiculous long midweek trips or at least awkward ones to get to :-

Tues 18 Oct - Shrewsbury (not the easiest place to get to)
Tues 14 Feb - Bristol Rovers
Tues 28 Feb - Southend Utd
Tues 14 Mar - Swindon Town

I note that Bristol and Southend had to come to Sheffield in midweek too.

Crazy - most fans would probably need to take the afternoon off work to get to any of these. As usual the fans come very low down on the list of priorities.

I was looking at some other teams fixtures and Carlisle have a midweek trip to Cheltenham!

I still think there`s huge merit in re-regionalising the lower leagues.
Less travel.
More derbies.
Bigger crowds.
More revenues.

I think you're right but problems arise when teams get relegated and promoted so that you end up with 'southern' teams playing in the northern section and vice versa. I might be wrong but I think this was one of the reasons it was scrapped in the first place. So let's dream a little and imagine a scenario where L**ds and the Pigs get relegated (on the old system of 2 up 2 down) - who would play in the North and who would play in the South?

I think you're right but problems arise when teams get relegated and promoted so that you end up with 'southern' teams playing in the northern section and vice versa. I might be wrong but I think this was one of the reasons it was scrapped in the first place. So let's dream a little and imagine a scenario where L**ds and the Pigs get relegated (on the old system of 2 up 2 down) - who would play in the North and who would play in the South?

If I ran the show they'd both be playing in the fucking Faroe Islands League division 4, getting their arses handed to them by some Penguins.

Crabs idea has my vote,but it`s not insurmountable.
Division 3 N and Division 3S.
Winner of each goes up. Play offs for a second promoted team between 2nd to 5th in each division making 4 promoted teams
in total.
4 relegated from Championship. Joining Div 3 N or S determinrd by mileage ie nearest to pre derermined "Mason Dixon" type line rules.
I`m available to set up,administer and generally manage the project for just 250k PA.

Really?
Don't you interact with people other than the rest of us saddos on here Coaxers ;)
There was a time when I studied all the results including the scottish leagues, memorised the teams and players and watched any footie on the box. These days I can just about be ar$ed to look up the rest of the League 1 results.

They don't need to officially split the league into North and South, just take it into account when arranging the fixtures.
I.e. Northern teams don't play Southern teams in midweek Away fixtures and vice-versa.
I understand that Clubs choose to play their local rivals at weekends to boost attendances.
So I would allow each team to choose 2 "local rivals" they only want to play at weekends leaving 9 other options for midweek away matches.

Current League One would be like this, with our "local rival" fixtures starred:-

North:-
Scunthorpe
Bury
Bolton
Bradford (*)
Sheff Utd
Fleetwood
Chesterfield (*)
Rochdale
Oldham
Port Vale
Walsall
Coventry

South:-
Northampton
Bristol Rovers
Peterborough
Gillingham
MK Dons
Oxford
Millwall
Charlton
Swindon
AFC Wimbledon
Shrewsbury
Southend

Therefore, our furthest possible trips for midweek away fixtures would be Coventry (2 hour drive) and Fleetwood (2 hours 20 mins).
It's an easy enough solution to implement, would boost midweek attendances across the board and benefit travelling fans of all clubs greatly.

Last edited:
They don't need to officially split the league into North and South, just take it into account when arranging the fixtures.
I.e. Northern teams don't play Southern teams in midweek Away fixtures and vice-versa.
I understand that Clubs choose to play their local rivals at weekends to boost attendances.
So I would allow each team to choose 2 "local rivals" they only want to play at weekends leaving 9 other options for midweek away matches.

Current League One would be like this, with our "local rival" fixtures starred:-

Scunthorpe
Bury
Bolton
Bradford (*)
Sheff Utd
Fleetwood
Chesterfield (*)
Rochdale
Oldham
Port Vale
Walsall
Coventry

Northampton
Bristol Rovers
Peterborough
Gillingham
MK Dons
Oxford
Millwall
Charlton
Swindon
AFC Wimbledon
Shrewsbury
Southend

Therefore, our furthest possible trips for midweek away fixtures would be Coventry (2 hour drive) and Fleetwood (2 hours 20 mins).
It's an easy enough solution to implement, would boost midweek attendances across the board and benefit travelling fans of all clubs greatly.

Good work but you'd need to include League 2 teams too.

Scunthorpe
Bury
Bolton
Bradford (*)
Sheff Utd
Fleetwood
Chesterfield (*)
Rochdale
Oldham
Port Vale
Walsall
Coventry

Northampton
Bristol Rovers
Peterborough
Gillingham
MK Dons
Oxford
Millwall
Charlton
Swindon
AFC Wimbledon
Shrewsbury
Southend

I think I read somewhere that clubs often request their local matches to be on a Saturday so the big attendances can be maximised, which would be the direct opposite of your suggestion.

I think I read somewhere that clubs often request their local matches to be on a Saturday so the big attendances can be maximised, which would be the direct opposite of your suggestion.

No, I took that into account when I said this:-

"I understand that Clubs choose to play their local rivals at weekends to boost attendances.
So I would allow each team to choose 2 "local rivals" they only want to play at weekends leaving 9 other options for midweek away matches."

Therefore our local rivals this season would be Chesterfield and Bradford. Some seasons it may be Wednesday and Barnsley?
They could extend it to 3 local rivals if necessary, it would still give plenty of scope for midweek away matches being North/South based.

I recall a similar thing, may have been the same article. Clubs like Carlisle for example know that Cheltenham Town aren't going to bring many fans regardless of when the game is played, whereas a club a lot nearer will bring a sizeable following on a Saturday, but a similar one to Cheltenham on a Tuesday night. It therefore makes more economic sense for the clubs that are further away to play in midweek. Harsh on the fans, but there you go.

League 2 would have a similar split for their fixtures. I can't be arsed to work it out. Hopefully we'll never have to!
I'd apply it to The Championship and maybe even Premiership as well.

I`d apply napalm and an atomic bomb to the Premiership and blow it the fuck out of existance.

What's that word that begins with WH and ends in OOOOSH?
Oh yeah, it's OK, I remember now ;)

Be fair old boy, I don't think either me nor S5Blade could have detected a wind up judging from the :mad:. I suppose we should know you better.

Thanks for sticking up for me though S5Blade , GCB knew full well what I meant the naughty boy.

Be fair old boy, I don't think either me nor S5Blade could have detected a wind up judging from the :mad:. I suppose we should know you better.

Thanks for sticking up for me though S5Blade , GCB knew full well what I meant the naughty boy.

My finger did hover over the ;) for a while Coaxy, but this is much more fun!! :);):eek::p:D

Back
Top Bottom