Ricoh Arena

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to my first visit to the Ricoh Arena. I'm guessing it will be a bit soulless, with it being less than half full, but after a season of watching us play away at smaller grounds it will be good to see us play at a similar sized ground to our own.
Looking on Wikipedia, their ground has a capacity of 93 fewer than ours. At least we can say we have the biggest ground in the League! I think since we have been in this division only a certain rust bucket across the city has had a bigger capacity than Bramall Lane.
I went to see the Blades play Coventry at Sixfields but I never went to Highfield Road. Are they the only club we have played at three grounds in recent times?

Can think of Rotherham (Millmoor, Don Valley and New York) off the top of my head but your right. The Ricoh Arena is a bog standard soulless stadium with zero character and even less atmosphere. Apart from any "big" games they will struggle to half fill it. Much preferred Highfield Road

Can think of Rotherham (Millmoor, Don Valley and New York) off the top of my head but your right. The Ricoh Arena is a bog standard soulless stadium with zero character and even less atmosphere. Apart from any "big" games they will struggle to half fill it. Much preferred Highfield Road
I guess if Leicester were in League One we'd be describing the Kingpower stadium as soulless. It just needs Coventry to be top of the Premier League!

I prefer the King Power to the Ricoh but there's not much to pick between them. Many of the stadiums newly built have had little thought put into them. Give me Bramall Lane any day. Enjoy your day as I love visiting a new ground (only Burton and Morecambe come into that catorgory this season for me)

I prefer the King Power to the Ricoh but there's not much to pick between them. Many of the stadiums newly built have had little thought put into them. Give me Bramall Lane any day. Enjoy your day as I love visiting a new ground (only Burton and Morecambe come into that catorgory this season for me)
I do love the variety of grounds and wouldn't want them all to be the same. At Burton it was good to be on the front row almost next to Scougall when he was taking corners, Southend's ground had a 'rustic' feel and the away end lower than the pitch. The day when all grounds are the same is the day football loses its character and charm.

I'm looking forward to my first visit to the Ricoh Arena. I'm guessing it will be a bit soulless, with it being less than half full, but after a season of watching us play away at smaller grounds it will be good to see us play at a similar sized ground to our own.
Looking on Wikipedia, their ground has a capacity of 93 fewer than ours. At least we can say we have the biggest ground in the League! I think since we have been in this division only a certain rust bucket across the city has had a bigger capacity than Bramall Lane.
I went to see the Blades play Coventry at Sixfields but I never went to Highfield Road. Are they the only club we have played at three grounds in recent times?

Well we have just woke up and we are staying at Hilton Double Tree hotel in Coventry opened the curtains and here is the view from our room.

IMG-20160430-00168-1.jpg
View attachment 17192

I wish that was true, but we have to vacate the room at 11.00am plus the balcony door are locked shut. I think the Blades fans will be sitting where it says Sky Blues. I must admit it is just amazing view
Probably for the best, you might be tempted to jump off the balcony if we play like we have at some of our away games this season!

Well we have just woke up and we are staying at Hilton Double Tree hotel in Coventry opened the curtains and here is the view from our room.

View attachment 17193
View attachment 17192

Shame you're out before the game. You can't draw the curtains after 10 mins from your seat !

Have to say the Ricoh is my second-least favourite of the new Lego grounds. Only Middlesbrough below it for me--identikit, the definition of soulless, empty, cold, and in the middle of a wasteland that is half Mad Max and half Bladerunner. Rubbish pies too.

View attachment 17193
View attachment 17192
United definitely missed a trick by not having rooms with a view. I've stayed at the copthorne a few times and would happily have paid extra for such a room. The Bob Booker room, Nudger Corner, Currie Suite....

I've seen us play;

Hull at Boothferry Park, the KC and Wembley
Huddersfield at Leeds Road, the Galpharm and Wembley

yep - will join you with those two.

From memory, the old Boothferry ground had a supermarket built into the stand where away fans were - or is my memory playing silly games?

UTB

I wish that was true, but we have to vacate the room at 11.00am plus the balcony door are locked shut. I think the Blades fans will be sitting where it says Sky Blues. I must admit it is just amazing view

Yep that bit on the right and into the corner...the atmosphere will be ok if you can all get it going :) the rest of the stadium will be like a library except when the Cov fans sing their limp wristed pre match song lol!

This will be a bit of a pilgrimmage for me as well reliving the day of our Cup win, i might go and find the seat i had for it as i've got the ticket from it still :)

Highfield Road 2-0 up, blizzard, Ian St John pestering ref long enough to get it called off. Year please? I was there:(

As a Coventry fan said to me when I lay visited in 2006?
Relegation
Is
Coventry's
Only
Hope

Back
Top Bottom