Report From 'Meet The Manager' This Evening

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tyler Durden

Well Loved Icon
Reaction score
Ok, as promised here's my concise summary of tonights session. I haven't done one of these before so be nice.....you bastards ;). Foxy and Linz, feel free to interject if I've paraphrased too much.

Introduction

Chris Wilder:

• This is the right time for me and Alan Knill to be taking charge at the club. I know the supporters, being one myself, understand what we (the supporters) expect.
  • Saw United play a few times last season, was bored by what was on offer.
  • Club has lost its identity, needs to play and also win in the right manner. Beating the opposition starts in the tunnel.
Alan Knill

• Knows what its like to work under difficult circumstances. They came to Northampton 2nd bottom in the division, identified what was required and won the league in three years. United in a much better position regarding facilities and infrastructure. Promotion certainly not a three year job.

Transfers

• Two targets in particular, (both centre-halves) identified. Hoping to have one or both in by end of next week.
  • Transfer budget impaired by players on transfer list draining resources with big contracts. Not ideal, but won't stop us getting in the players who can do the job at hand.
  • Slow movement has been the case across the league.
Approach

• Importance of being clear about what we want from our players. Speaking to the players when I took charge, nobody really knew what their role was last season. This has to change
  • We have to have leaders on the pitch. This has been lacking. Essential to have individuals who can take our tactics/strategies/ethos and instill it in the players on the field
  • Defending corners: We won't have our box swamped. Need to have players positioned upfield to effectively counter-attack.
  • No more playing backwards and squarewards (*thank fuck*)
  • Re cup games: League is obviously the priority, but any team I pick for any game, I expect them to play to win, whether 5-a-side or FA Cup. Principle doesn't change not matter what the level.
Players

• Asked Basham where he feels his strongest position is, he believes centre-midfield. Intends to play him there.
  • Done is NOT a left wing back, his place is clearly further up front
  • Question asked if Billy Sharp being made new captain was PR move? CW: Nothing I do is a PR move, he embodies the spirit we want in this team, knows what is required and is captain because he's most suited to the role.
  • Monitoring situation with our U-21 goalkeeper, had a very good season. Possibility of stepping up.
  • Believe Brayford and Scougall to be very strong assets if they play to their potential, up to them now to take that chance.
What needs to change

• Knill: Saw us play a few times last season. Coventry defeat was the worst. Utter apathy, didn't look like wanting to win.
  • CW: Recruitment has been bang average this past couple of seasons, still need to deal with the legacy of that. (*He's looking at you, Hammond*)
  • Knill: No decent centre half since Morgs. Believes the two identified targets to have those qualities (not afraid to head the ball or put a robust tackle in)
Going Forward

• We will not roll over for anyone next season
  • You don't sit back at 1-0, you have to put teams away decisively
  • Promotion without doubt is possible.
Conclusion: Music to my ears :)

"Knill: No decent centre half since Morgs. Believes the two identified targets to have those qualities (not afraid to head the ball or put a robust tackle in)"

Don't agree with that <Maguire>

You're right but I'd suspect that was nothing more than an oversight.

• Two targets in particular, (both centre-halves) identified. Hoping to have one or both in by end of next week.
  • Transfer budget impaired by players on transfer list draining resources with big contracts. Not ideal, but won't stop us getting in the players who can do the job at hand.
If he were to be given a budget that is at least 2nd highest in the division, for the whole rebuilding project, theres no way that outgoings should affect at least 6/7 signings. It's clear that he's not been given the required budget. There's no good reason why that budget cannot be issued, yet it's becoming so obvious that it hasn't.

Shit I forgot to add

**New chief scout joined last week, won't name him tonight. Will be officially confirmed soon.**

**New fitness coach: Fitness of players has been identified as an issue, new staff brought in to address this. Wilder: " Players will have to move out of their comfort zone in order to succeed in this team"**

vhg6k1.jpg

"Knill: No decent centre half since Morgs. Believes the two identified targets to have those qualities (not afraid to head the ball or put a robust tackle in)"

Don't agree with that <Maguire>
One in seven years then. I think the point is valid.

Although I liked Nyron, he was hilarious.

Great report Tyler.
I would add that he said he believes in leaving more than one player upfront from corners ("no point keeping Scougall back"). Chance to counter attack.
Also said he wouldn't spin with match reports: "Fans tend to see a similar game".
Placed a lot of emphasis on attacking teams in the first fifteen minutes, and playing a high energy pressing game.
Put a lot of faith in George Long as no1, and goalkeeping coach Darren Ward's work with young keepers.
Wants another two or three leaders.
Wont pay over the odds and give out ridiculous contracts.

Thanks for the effort. Did anyone mention Killa?

"Knill: No decent centre half since Morgs. Believes the two identifiedtargets to have those qualities (notafraid to head the ball or put a robust tackle in)"

That to me doesn't sound like Killa is one of them.

The Folkesey is dead.

Long live the Tyler Durden !!

Seriously though fella, cheers for this, great summary and invaluable for those not there. Really appreciate the effort.

Oh and...

No more playing backwards and squarewards (*thank fuck*)

Made me feel funny inside like when you first start seeing a lass. Think it might be excitement? Been a while!!!

Tyler, thanks for this. I have a lot easier feeling about what is going to happen. The proof of the pudding will be if these two incomings occur with one being this week. I like what he says and want him to also walk the walk.

The Folkesey is dead.

Long live the Tyler Durden !!

Seriously though fella, cheers for this, great summary and invaluable for those not there. Really appreciate the effort.

Oh and...

Made me feel funny inside like when you first start seeing a lass. Think it might be excitement? Been a while!!!

Happy to do it bud. Especially as the man himself hit the nail on the head so many times tonight.
I know talk is cheap, but it's given me fresh enthusiasm for the coming season, which is remarkable considering my mood last month.

Ok, as promised here's my concise summary of tonights session. I haven't done one of these before so be nice.....you bastards ;). Foxy and Linz, feel free to interject if I've paraphrased too much.

Introduction

Chris Wilder:

• This is the right time for me and Alan Knill to be taking charge at the club. I know the supporters, being one myself, understand what we (the supporters) expect.
  • Saw United play a few times last season, was bored by what was on offer.
  • Club has lost its identity, needs to play and also win in the right manner. Beating the opposition starts in the tunnel.
Alan Knill

• Knows what its like to work under difficult circumstances. They came to Northampton 2nd bottom in the division, identified what was required and won the league in three years. United in a much better position regarding facilities and infrastructure. Promotion certainly not a three year job.

Transfers

Approach

• Importance of being clear about what we want from our players. Speaking to the players when I took charge, nobody really knew what their role was last season. This has to change
  • We have to have leaders on the pitch. This has been lacking. Essential to have individuals who can take our tactics/strategies/ethos and instill it in the players on the field
  • Defending corners: We won't have our box swamped. Need to have players positioned upfield to effectively counter-attack.
  • No more playing backwards and squarewards (*thank fuck*)
  • Re cup games: League is obviously the priority, but any team I pick for any game, I expect them to play to win, whether 5-a-side or FA Cup. Principle doesn't change not matter what the level.
Players

• Asked Basham where he feels his strongest position is, he believes centre-midfield. Intends to play him there.
  • Done is NOT a left wing back, his place is clearly further up front
  • Question asked if Billy Sharp being made new captain was PR move? CW: Nothing I do is a PR move, he embodies the spirit we want in this team, knows what is required and is captain because he's most suited to the role.
  • Monitoring situation with our U-21 goalkeeper, had a very good season. Possibility of stepping up.
  • Believe Brayford and Scougall to be very strong assets if they play to their potential, up to them now to take that chance.
What needs to change

• Knill: Saw us play a few times last season. Coventry defeat was the worst. Utter apathy, didn't look like wanting to win.
  • CW: Recruitment has been bang average this past couple of seasons, still need to deal with the legacy of that. (*He's looking at you, Hammond*)
  • Knill: No decent centre half since Morgs. Believes the two identified targets to have those qualities (not afraid to head the ball or put a robust tackle in)
Going Forward

• We will not roll over for anyone next season
  • You don't sit back at 1-0, you have to put teams away decisively
  • Promotion without doubt is possible.
Conclusion: Music to my ears :)

Nice one TD

One more thing to add:

With regards to players making comments on social media, all players are to sign an agreement recognising that they represent the club and must act accordingly. Players are to discuss any issues with the management, rather than spouting crap on Twitter (not his exact words).

• Slow movement has been the case across the league

• These weeks keep stretching don't they Chris? Is this the third week in the row you've said this?
  • It wasn't when you first talked to us. Suddenly it is
  • Nope, most teams doing more business than us. Just us.
in summary, same old shit, different day. fucking joke.

• Slow movement has been the case across the league
  • These weeks keep stretching don't they Chris? Is this the third week in the row you've said this?
  • It wasn't when you first talked to us. Suddenly it is
  • Nope, most teams doing more business than us. Just us.
in summary, same old shit, different day. fucking joke.

The signings are coming tomorrow Robbie....

or next week or maybe the week after..

LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

and George Weah's cousin's a great striker. Sign him up Souness

Basham has nowhere near enough gumption to be a first choice CM in a top 2 side , he is on subs bench for CB, RB or , at a stretch , CM.

Yeh, hope Basham isn't our main starting central midfielder....not good enough.
Only other concern for me was their statement about Long being our goal keeping solution.

We very nearly went up with Steve Simmonsen as our goalkeeper - if you've got a team capable of scoring 80+ (minimum) goals a season then you don't need your goalie go be worldie

Back
Top Bottom