Realistic League position

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

felix

Reaction score
MK Dons manager says Milton Keynes will go top of the divsion if the win ths week and technically he is correct but in reality Bristol City would only need to draw their game in hand to overtake them. Likewise the table lies when it has Fleetwood in 6th position and us in 8th because it would make more sense to list teams in order of average points per game, which would than make up for aomalies caused by some teams having played more games than others.

Using the Felix Method (c) the top half of the table looks like this:

1 Bristol City 2.16
2 Swindon 2.08
3 Milton Keynes 2.04
4 Preston 1.81
5 BLADES 1.50
6 Rochdale 1.48
7 Bradford City 1.44
8 Chesterfield 1.40
9 Doncaster 1.40
10 Fleetwood 1.37
11 Oldham 1.36
12 Notts County 1.34

So we are currently on course to meet our old friends from Preston yet again in the play-offs. Panic over.

We'll be top by then, people wondering how we did it after giving away an 18pt head start in January.

We'll be top by then, people wondering how we did it after giving away an 18pt head start in January.

My glass is always half full, but i'd still like what you are on :)

Play offs are realistic, but to finish top 2 is really going some - we can only expect to drop 8-9 points maximum, which is a tall order between now and the end ofo the season. Hope you are right though.

UTB

Play offs are realistic, but to finish top 2 is really going some - we can only expect to drop 8-9 points maximum, which is a tall order between now and the end ofo the season. Hope you are right though.

UTB
We won't drop a point....

Swindon next and Bristol City in a fortnight. If we win those two and our games in between together with a do or die performance on Wednesday - all wrapped up with the signings we've made (and are due to make) then we'll have those above us seriously worried.

We won't drop a point....

Having studied the teams we need to play, once Swindon and Brizzle are out of the way by mid feb, every single game has a potential 3 points written all over it - trouble is, we have struggled all season against so called 2nd rate teams. If we played our cup formation and our 1st 11 then perhaps - trouble is, 2 games a week is going to take it's toll.

We should at least give it a try - and that means starting this Wednesday - which hopefully means another rearranged game in March for our 1st trip to Wembley of this year :)

UTB

MK Dons manager says Milton Keynes will go top of the divsion if the win ths week and technically he is correct but in reality Bristol City would only need to draw their game in hand to overtake them. Likewise the table lies when it has Fleetwood in 6th position and us in 8th because it would make more sense to list teams in order of average points per game, which would than make up for aomalies caused by some teams having played more games than others.

Using the Felix Method (c) the top half of the table looks like this:

1 Bristol City 2.16
2 Swindon 2.08
3 Milton Keynes 2.04
4 Preston 1.81
5 BLADES 1.50
6 Rochdale 1.48
7 Bradford City 1.44
8 Chesterfield 1.40
9 Doncaster 1.40
10 Fleetwood 1.37
11 Oldham 1.36
12 Notts County 1.34

So we are currently on course to meet our old friends from Preston yet again in the play-offs. Panic over.
But won't the Plastics average point per match move to 2.08 if they win this week as they like Swindon will have 54 points from 26 games?

But won't the Plastics average point per match move to 2.08 if they win this week as they like Swindon will have 54 points from 26 games?

They will, but will still be behind Bristol City on 2.16. If Chesterfield beat Crawley they will be above us in the unadjusted table as well, but only seventh with 1.46 under Felix's rules.

UTB

Fulwood , the play offs are more than realistic , and since many a year , we are in a great position squad / confidence wise to win the final , whoever we finish up playing.

UTB

Swindon next and Bristol City in a fortnight. If we win those two and our games in between together with a do or die performance on Wednesday - all wrapped up with the signings we've made (and are due to make) then we'll have those above us seriously worried.

If we do beat both of these teams (or not), we'll have played all of the current top FOUR teams in a fortnight's time, so given we are progressing positively, i.e. better than our current average, we'll be able to watch these four teams take points off each other.

If is such a BIG word.

If we win the FA Cup replay against Preston then our league match at Bristol City will have to be re-arranged. We have only four free midweek slots left, March 10th/11th, march 31st/April 1st, April 21st/22nd and April 28th/29th

Last edited:
Fulwood , the play offs are more than realistic , and since many a year , we are in a great position squad / confidence wise to win the final , whoever we finish up playing.

UTB

Agree totally - in a one off 3 game tournament, I would take Clough any day of the week to break our play off hoodoo - in fact considering out past record, I would actually relish the playoffs, where as I am sure some wouldn't - winning at Wembley - ab fab. I also think we would take many more than the 28K who went v Huddersfield :)

UTB

...........and I'll be high in the clouds, sat on the back of a flying pig called Roger!

...........and I'll be high in the clouds, sat on the back of a flying pig called Roger!

longinthe toothblade. I am not going with if buts and maybe for the rest of the season. For the first time in a long time , the fans , board , manager , players , all seem in unison. Anything can happen , and its funny ,the harder we all work , the luckier we get.

Theres no flying pigs at the lane , maybe over S6. Confidence and commitment is high , lets keep it like that:)

UTB

longinthe toothblade. I am not going with if buts and maybe for the rest of the season. For the first time in a long time , the fans , board , manager , players , all seem in unison. Anything can happen , and its funny ,the harder we all work , the luckier we get.

Theres no flying pigs at the lane , maybe over S6. Confidence and commitment is high , lets keep it like that:)

UTB
Don't disagree and make no mistake, we genuinely want the same outcome. Just think that we need to be realistic. I'd love to turn them all over as Presty quoted, of course I would, but the last 6 months and the last 8 - 10 league games in particular is telling me we won't. We have to START winning in the league and whilst I delighted the beard is back, our number one priority is up front and we have fundementally failed to address this. If we are going to go on this run in the league that many here are quoting, we have to start scoring goals. Realism that's all.

Don't disagree and make no mistake, we genuinely want the same outcome. Just think that we need to be realistic. I'd love to turn them all over as Presty quoted, of course I would, but the last 6 months and the last 8 - 10 league games in particular is telling me we won't. We have to START winning in the league and whilst I delighted the beard is back, our number one priority is up front and we have fundementally failed to address this. If we are going to go on this run in the league that many here are quoting, we have to start scoring goals. Realism that's all.

Think we might see our midfield bullied less as the opposition spend their time trying to stop Brayford and JCR plundering the right wing.

If we win the FA Cup replay against Preston then our league match at Bristol City will have to be re-arranged. We have only four free midweek slots left, March 10th/11th, march 31st/April 1st, April 21st/22nd and April 28th/29th

Interesting point there Silent. With the potential 5th round match being scheduled for Monday 16th Feb, our game away at Notts County planned for the 17th would also need to be re-arranged should we beat Preston.

Interesting point there Silent. With the potential 5th round match being scheduled for Monday 16th Feb, our game away at Notts County planned for the 17th would also need to be re-arranged should we beat Preston.

Think we will have to re-arrange the away game at Ashton Gate too!

Updated table. What was all that about us being "below Fleetwood"?

1 Bristol City 2.19
2 Milton Keynes 2.03
3 Swindon 2.00
4 Preston 1.74
5 BLADES 1.56
6 Rochdale 1.46
7 Chesterfield 1.44
8 Bradford City 1.42
9 Oldham 1.42
10 Doncaster 1.38
11 Peterborough 1.37
12 Fleetwood 1.32

Those above you....are already worried quite enough as it is. Seriously. Don't need any more to worry about. Thanks all the same. Haven't you got Man Utd to think about?

Those above you....are already worried quite enough as it is. Seriously. Don't need any more to worry about. Thanks all the same. Haven't you got Man Utd to think about?

Yes, we're resting the first team in anticipation. It OK though, our ressies spanked Swindon at the weekend. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom