Quick Peterborough report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
The good thing about a visit to Peterborough is that it's home of Oakham Ales which means some cracking beers before the game. The bad thing is that it's Peterborough...

Anyway, the game:

We started really shakily. Simple passes going astray, hoofed clearances, static players; it wasn't pretty. The poor start came to a head when a long ball from Peterborough's defence bounced midway inside the United half. Howard rushed out but was beaten to the ball by the Boro forward who then skipped past Collins on the edge of the area before diving, looking for a penalty. Fortunately for him, the referee's decision was goal kick. The same forward then lashed a half volley well over the top in another let off for the Blades.

Down the other end, Davies' corner caused issues for the home side before Murphy skipped free and pulled the ball back for Alcock, who could only blast off target. Another let off for United then as Taylor hit the post but to be fair, Howard had it covered.

Given the complete lack of fluency shown before, it came as a bit of a surprise when United took the lead with a great move. Several players were involved before a one-two between Baxter and McNulty ended with an off balance Baxter finding the bottom left hand corner.

United still didn't look entirely confident and after McGahey's miscued clearance went out for a corner, Peterborough drew level with a near post header after Collins lost his man. Poor defending but on the balance of play a deserved leveller. Howard then was forced into an excellent stop at the feet of a Peterborough striker as the half drew to a close.

I don't know what Clough said to the players at half time but it seemed to have the desired effect. We kept our shape and used the ball much better. An excellent tackle from the referee led to a decent chance for the hosts before Basham fired wide from McNulty's cut back. McNulty then broke through but as he shaped to shoot he was foiled by an excellent last ditch tackle from a Peterborough defender, who injured himself in the process.

United did get the ball in the net through Basham but a late flag saw the 'goal' chalked off but Boro managed to hit the post again. Higdon and Flynn came on for McNulty and Baxter with Murphy going through the middle and as the game wound down, United scored the winner. A throw in by the corner flag found Higdon whose cross was deflected to the edge of the area where DAVIES took his time before leathering a shot into the bottom right corner. Cue delirium in the travelling ranks.

Four minutes of injury time came and went with little in the way of incident as United defended stoically in the face of a barrage of long balls from the Posh backline.

Overall - a solid away win. You could see the confidence growing back in the players as the game wore on and we fully deserved the three points. I expected more from Peterborough to be honest: they got desperate early on and ended up giving heading practice to our back line for most of the second half.

Ratings:
Howard 8: one very good stop at the feet of a Boro forward and solid handling. Distribution generally good too.

Alcock 8: solid game against his former club and linked up well with Davies on the flank.
McGahey 6: some good positional play but his passing was a bit hit and miss with some telegraphed through-balls being cut out by the first man. Promising player though.
Collins 6: lost a mark for losing his man for the equaliser in a really poor bit of defending. Still incapable of shepherding the ball out!
McEverley 8: I was surprised by the reaction on here to McEverley's signing. Didn't get forward much but was up against a pacey winger in Mendez-Liang. Personally thought he pushed Baxter hard for MOTM.

Davies 7: in the right place at the right time to score the winner but drifted in and out of play. His set pieces really are excellent though and we'll get a few goals that way.
Doyle 6: utterly dreadful in the first half; I'm not sure if he found a red and white shirt more than 50% of the time. Better in the second as he reverted to his holding role.
Basham 6: complete lack of composure with the ball at his feet but popped up in the box twice and was unlucky to not score (a legitimate goal!)
Murphy 7: showed glimpses of last season's form and a willingness to take on his man. That cost us once as he decided to try and beat the right back when we broke in the first half but it was good to see nonetheless.

Baxter 8: my MOTM. Clever link play between midfield and attack even if it didn't always click with McNulty. Did his fair share of defensive work too and was at the end of a great team move to put us 1-0 up.

McNulty 6: not sure he's at all suited to being a lone front man. Maybe should have scored when he was denied by a great last ditch tackle but it was on his weaker foot.

Subs:
Higdon (for McNulty): held the ball up well but we do look to go longer when he's on the pitch. Set up Davies' goal via a deflection
Flynn (for Baxter): took on his man and used the ball well, even if the OS didn't think he came on :)

Fans 9: great support from the travelling Blades.

Peterborough 5: lots of hoofball. Not pretty.

McGahey 6: some good positional play but his passing was a bit hit and miss with some telegraphed through-balls being cut out by the first man. Promising player though.
I've noticed a lot of people mis-pronouncing "McGahey". A lot of people say "McGahey", I've even heard a few say "McGahey" when in actual fact, the correct pronunciation is "McGahey" although with the Scottish lilt, I'd say "McGahey" is also acceptable.

The match/Olle's thoughts: I thought we did ok on Tuesday night and were value for a result. A loss is maybe a bit harsh, but you need to take your chances. We found that out against Bristol City. Peterborough squandered a range of opportunities and only have themselves to blame. I was surprised at how direct they were. They just hoofed it every time and other than Mendez-Laing who tried to run at our full backs. They were dirty as fook as well and the ref let them get away with murder. I was astonished to hear some of their fans claiming the ref was poor, as he gave them a lot of 50/50's. In fact, I thought he let their players bully a fair bit. We lack physical presence and Posh realised that and started pushing us around. The piss poor ref let this go unpunished and they stepped it up. It's actually starting to become a bit of a theme and is reminiscint of the first season under Wilson when teams just kicked us off the pitch.

I thought Peterborough started the better team and we looked really shaky. We were at 6's and 7's at the back and only some last ditch defending and wasted chances stopped them from scoring. Doyle actually did a really good job of getting his foot in and protected the defence, but his distribution was woeful. Basham was gash first half and hardly anything came off for him. Peterborough were running through, picking up second balls and causing a lof of problems. Howard saved well, they hit the post and they had several shots from the edge of the box that zipped over Howard's crossbar. United could barely string any passes together and I don't really remember us creating much. All of a sudden we scored a wonder goal. There was a string of passed and the ball was worked down the left involving Murphy and Mceverley. It was switched to right via Doyle and Alcock founded Baxter. Baxter played a lovely one two and then knocked it in at full stretch. At first I thought he should have shot fist time, but it came off. He was at full stretch and it was a good finish and lovely bit of skill.

Then the Blades gave away a sloppy equaliser. It was a pretty average corner and Collins lost his man. The ball came in at a low trajectory and I thought a man at the front stick could have cleared it. Anyway, it was a straight forward header and they equalised.

We came out to the 2nd half fired up and the first 15-20 mins of the 2nd half was our best spell. We attacked with pace and urgency and passed quite well. Murphy was getting on the ball and running at defenders and that was leading to things. McNulty had a chance when he broke through and coukd have shot first time. He took an extra touch and was denied by a brilliant last ditch tackle. Basham and Doyle started to get a grip on the game and boss things a bit. Basham actually grew in stature and started to biomb forward. He had the ball in the net (after good work by Baxter) but it was correctly adjudged to be offside. He also had a half chance after Murphy beat his man and pulled it back to him at the edge of the box, only for Basham to fire over (the cross came at him quick). Peterborough continued to hoof it and Magahey looked nervous, but Collins grew in stature and Doyle offered protection. Clough brought on Flynn and Higdon for McNulty and Baxter and Murphy joined Higdon up top, with Flynn going wide left. I was pleased to see this as McNulty had been ineffective, but I thought Posh looked wobbly at the back. Apparently their 2 first choice centre backs were injured and 2 of their defenders got injured. The substitutions paid off as bith were invovled in the goal. Flynn took his man on and was tackled. From the resulting long throw by Alcock Higdon got his head to it and it was half cleared. Davies fired in a cracking effort from the edge of the box. He did well to keep it down and find the corner. A deserved winner?

The Blades seemed to be bouyed by this and went for the jugular. We pressed high up the pitch and Peterborough looked under the cosh. However their long balls still caused problems. We had them pinned back and all of a sudden a long ball lead to a big chance. Collins and Magehey let the ball bounce and Magahey was beaten by the Posh player. He pulled it back and their striker missed from 7 or 8 yards out. It was a big chance. United were wobbling and Posh hoofed everything into the box. At the death Howard had a shot straight down his thoat after more nervous defending.

Olle's men of steel on Tuesday are Alcock and Mceverley. Both were excellent, with the latter having a very good debut. Both solid, putting in a lot of effort and getting stuck in. I thought Baxter had a pretty good game with flashes of brilliance, but also some things did not work for him. Davies was quiet and a bit suspect defensively, but his set piece deliveries were quality and his goal was well taken.

Crimes against hoof: I think Baxter did well, with a well taken goal. He was the person that made things happen and has a good touch and vision. He also worked pretty hard.

Crimes against football: Peterborough. Dirty as fook and long ball merchants. They just hoofed and hoofed. They were very niggly. Not a pleasent team to watch and I was surprised at how direct and physical.

Ale: the best thing by far about Peterbough is Oakham ales. What a gem! JCB (their bitter) is nice, Citra is a lovely hoppy pale ale and inferno is a ligher coloured ale with a very bitter finish. Their whole range is good and the ale was easily the best performer of the evening.

Clough: thought he got it right in that we needed to go back to basics and get players in their best positions. The back 4 was the right choice and whilst I did not agree with the whole team selection it was right to bring Doyle back too.

Olle's final thoughts: we badly needed a win and we got it. We were not great, but were value for at least a point. We creqated chances and took two. London Road is not an easy ground to go to and it was an excellent result. I'm really pleased with that. We need to build on it and keep this team as it is. Saying that, I'd like to see Higdon come in for McNulty (who the lone striker role does not suit). It's important to get some consistency in the back 4 and the full backs should stay as they are. We have the ability to mix it up when necessary (Reed in for Basham, JCR and Flynn oput wide, Murphy and Scoogs can play off a striker etc) but we should keep the nucleas. If Butler is out of contention then I would keep the back 4 as it is and have Doyle sitting in front of them. They would be my first names on the team sheet. After that I am not too fussed as I think a midfiled of Flynn, Doyle, Reed and JCR could work with 2 strikers, last nights midfield worked and we have other options. If we can get the team settled then we actually have a good squad with competition for places (Scoogs and Baxter gunning for one position, Murphy, Flynn, JCR and Davies after the wide spots, Higdon, McNulty and Porter for up front, Reed, Basham, Doyle in centre mid etc. If we can get solid again, I think the current squad is top 6 material.

All round it was a great and much needed result. My first live game since the play off defeat against Wolves. I thought that apart from the first 30 minutes all bar the 2 centre halves had very good games. Lots of fight and sometimes trying to play football. When we bring the ball out of defence we do seem to all run away from the ball carrier giving them little option but to play a through ball every time and it usually turns into a 50/50 ball at best.
Basham seems to be the new whipping boy. I saw a guy giving everything and contributing alot. He was at least the equal of Doyle and his distribution was 10x that of Doyle.

I am amazed that no one has mentioned Mceverly's first 30 minutes, as this seemed to be the cause of much nervousness in the United ranks. He looked woeful but did get better and better as time went on.

Onwards and upwards as we charge for promotion.

Sounds like we had a great 20 mins of pressure against Posh, similar to the 20 mins we had against Bristol City. At least that shows we can do it. Even in last season's unbeaten run we didn't apply pressure for the entire game, but we were able to sit back and soak up their attacks fairly comfortably when we were on the back foot, and always threatened to counter. That is what Clough is aiming for. Unfortunately it looks like we still are missing Harry and the Hipster big time.

I hope and pray we play two up front and the obvious way to do this with our squad is to play 3-5-2.

Back 3 - Alcock, Collins/ McGahey, McEveley.

Middle 5 - Davies, Scougall, Doyle, Basham/ Wallace, Murphy.

Front 2 - Baxter, Higdon.

What a team!!:cool:

I hope and pray we play two up front and the obvious way to do this with our squad is to play 3-5-2.

Back 3 - Alcock, Collins/ McGahey, McEveley.

Middle 5 - Davies, Scougall, Doyle, Basham/ Wallace, Murphy.

Front 2 - Baxter, Higdon.

What a team!!:cool:

I think Davies lacks the mobility to be a wing back. Murphy would have too much defending to do as a wing back and it would reduce his attacking impact. The team also lacks pace and mobility going forward.

I think Davies lacks the mobility to be a wing back. Murphy would have too much defending to do as a wing back and it would reduce his attacking impact. The team also lacks pace and mobility going forward.

I know what you mean, but Kuyt did hell of a job for Netherlands in the World Cup.

Davies will always add his crosses and free kicks. Anyway it's up to Flynn and Campbell-Rice to wrestle it off him.

We won't see pretty playmaking from central midfield with Doyle and Basham, but we kind of made it work. We also probably showed that we had more experience and know-how than Peterborough, who ran out of ideas in the second half. It was also important that our defence defended deep enough to prevent their nippy strikers from running in behind, and our full backs also won their individual battles against two quick out and out wingers.

I'm not convinced about Basham as a box to box midfielder, but he does deserve some credit for the amount of grass he covers and how many times he gets into the opposition's box. I think he should score some goals for us this season if he time his runs a bit better and calms down when he finishes.

Baxter looked lively, but ideally we should have more pace around him.

Higdon and C$#@ might be a good pairing. Higson winning the headers and C#&@ pouncing on the loose balls

Higdon and C$#@ might be a good pairing. Higson winning the headers and C#&@ pouncing on the loose balls

"C#&@ pouncing on the loose balls"

...the mind boggles...

Watched the highlights and as others have said, with better finishing Peterboro could have been home and hosed at half time. However we could say same v Bristol. It seemed to mirror that game in many ways with us pinching it.

Word on the goal they scored - Collins lost his man but it was 4 or 5 yards out and right inside the 6 yard box. Howard came and dived low and was nowhere near it. I am a harsh critic of keepers generally but although Collins was culpable for it; so was Howard. It was his ball.

He has made some decent saves but this along with the Bristol 1st goal and also the Coventry goal means he has some blame in 3 of the 4 goals we have conceded for me. May seem harsh but he could have done much better on all 3 of these goals. Still he has made saves etc and the indecision and chopping and changing in front of him cannot help.

Watched the highlights and as others have said, with better finishing Peterboro could have been home and hosed at half time. However we could say same v Bristol. It seemed to mirror that game in many ways with us pinching it.

Word on the goal they scored - Collins lost his man but it was 4 or 5 yards out and right inside the 6 yard box. Howard came and dived low and was nowhere near it. I am a harsh critic of keepers generally but although Collins was culpable for it; so was Howard. It was his ball.

He has made some decent saves but this along with the Bristol 1st goal and also the Coventry goal means he has some blame in 3 of the 4 goals we have conceded for me. May seem harsh but he could have done much better on all 3 of these goals. Still he has made saves etc and the indecision and chopping and changing in front of him cannot help.
He got pulled back in the peterborough game,thats why he didn't get near it,have a close look,its easy to spot.

It's City or Bristol City, not Bristol. In the same way as it's United or Sheffield United, not Sheffield!!

I've noticed a lot of people mis-pronouncing "McGahey". A lot of people say "McGahey", I've even heard a few say "McGahey" when in actual fact, the correct pronunciation is "McGahey" although with the Scottish lilt, I'd say "McGahey" is also acceptable.
From the horse's mouth, we're reliably informed that it's "McGahey". Glad we could clear that up.

Back
Top Bottom