Progress update: summer signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
So 5 league and two cup games in, how are the new signings doing. I've only watched the Bristol City game live so far and had to make do with RS commentary and feedback from trusted members on here. This is what I've ascertained so far

Alcock - strong at fullback, looked ok v Bristol, but the CH partnership didn't work immediately. Improving since first game
McGahey - shakey start, but has grown and become solid. Improving
Butler - so far shown nothing.
Harris - inconsistent compared to last season, needs to do better
McEveley - not heard much about him to be honest, but can I assume he's doing ok?
Davies - solid and has been used both at fullback and r. Mid, deserves a starting shirt? Improving
JCR - slow to start, but now looks to be firing as he showed v Preston. Improving
Basham - very poor first couple of games, but Clough has persisted and he's now notably had three very good games. Improving
Wallace - mostly injured, can't report on him yet as he's only had two cameo's as a sub this week.
McNulty - mixed opinions so far, didn't look impressive when he came on v Bristol, but seems to make himself a nuisance.
Higdon - bright start v Bristol, looked strong and a good target, took his goal well but wasn't fit or sharp, but hasn't shown since.
Reed - ok promoted from within but looked good to start, just not seen him since. The new nicky law?
Turner - back up keeper, not played yet

Out of all the signings then, Higdon, butler, Wallace and Reed all need to show more and play more to get a better perspective of them. Would that be fair?

Very odd calling Reed a new signing.... and then comparing him to Nicky Law.

Think all the new signings (bar Butler) are looking like 'solid' acquisitions. I'm hoping Wallace will go on to be a bit of a star for us when he finds his fitness and I think Higgy will get plenty of goals over the season. I reckon long term McGahey will be at least the equal of Harry though.

Still need three signings though. Go make it happen Phipps, Brannigan et al.

Houso I was in two minds whether to include Reed, but he's come pretty fresh into the first team squad so I'd class him as a newbie just like Davies and Harris.

Comparison to law was that he had one decent game in the pl v Man U then disappeared.

Reed is an outstanding talent, he will not "disappear".

Law was a young hopeful who was blooded far too early at such a high level. He's had an average career and always looked average.

Reed is as good as you get at such a young age. Just not the right time to play him in the starting eleven against upper placed teams. He is so small and sleight and gets overun. So do most 17 year olds.

JCR deserves a run in the side now. We need more pace, dribbling and crossing ability, and he showed at Preston that he's still got those qualities.

Hopefully Jamie Murphy will also improve if we have someone on the right hand side who also runs at the opposition.

So 5 league and two cup games in, how are the new signings doing. I've only watched the Bristol City game live so far and had to make do with RS commentary and feedback from trusted members on here. This is what I've ascertained so far

You've seen one game, read a few posts and feel qualified to tell us all how the new signings are doing. Nobber, get a fucking grip.

Reed is an outstanding talent, he will not "disappear".

Law was a young hopeful who was blooded far too early at such a high level. He's had an average career and always looked average.

Reed is as good as you get at such a young age. Just not the right time to play him in the starting eleven against upper placed teams. He is so small and sleight and gets overun. So do most 17 year olds.

Law is doing ok at Rangers. He was subject to a bid from an English club last season. I suspect he was glad it was rejected. The club was..................Blackpool !

You've seen one game, read a few posts and feel qualified to tell us all how the new signings are doing. Nobber, get a fucking grip.

I think he said he was depending largely on the views of others? Question marks figure prominently. I think you may have misinterpreted his purpose. Strikes me he's asking, rather than telling.

I'll offer this: McEveley is doing better than OK. Davies is vital, if only for the set-plays. JCR is ahead of Flynny at the moment. Higdon needs to improve (fitness?) significantly.

From what i have seen.

Alcock is a decent and dependable full-back in this division.
JCR is a solid and experienced pro and would get in to most teams in this division.
McGahey looks like a typical raw but talented centre-half, he will get better as the season goes on
Higdon has not impressed me but will improve when he gains more fitness
Davies is a quality player, just lacks pace, if he had pace he would be in the top flight
McEveley although i have only seen him in one game looks like an experienced pro, and will add to a solid back 4
McNulty still looks raw, but he does look like to be able to push on and improve
Wallace fuck knows.

From what i have seen.

Alcock is a decent and dependable full-back in this division.
JCR is a solid and experienced pro and would get in to most teams in this division.
McGahey looks like a typical raw but talented centre-half, he will get better as the season goes on
Higdon has not impressed me but will improve when he gains more fitness
Davies is a quality player, just lacks pace, if he had pace he would be in the top flight
McEveley although i have only seen him in one game looks like an experienced pro, and will add to a solid back 4
McNulty still looks raw, but he does look like to be able to push on and improve
Wallace fuck knows.
That would be a fair summary.

Higdon did well against Bristol not done much since but I think he's well up to this division and will come good.

Back
Top Bottom