Priorities

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
In terms of recruitment, what would your top 3 priorities be, mine;

1. An athletic midfield play maker (George Moncur maybe)
  2. A power house centre forward (a Matt Smith type player)
  3. An assured goalkeeper (Kelvin Davis-esque)
I could add a few more (centre halves for example) but those 3 are what I'd like to see come in first.

Although I'm far from convinced with our George and in an ideal world would ideally like another goalkeeper, I think with our budgetary restraints for next season I wouldn't have that as priority.

I think our midfield needs an almost total overhaul and someone to replace Baptiste, or ideally, Baptiste.

I'd also like another body to partner Billy.

1. A commanding centre half
2. A skilful, pacey, tricky winger
3. A holding midfielder

(3 players we've let go for one reason or another over the past 2 years and haven't adequately replaced.)

On the proviso that tthe manager reverts to the four four two we started the season with, and we don't keep any loan or out of contract players bar Long:Two centre backs; Two box to box midfielders; two wingers; one target man. I would also consider a goalkeeper if we loan Ramsdale out, and possibly a left back. We need huge surgery which is why I don't envisage an automatic promotion push. I would consider selling Done, Mcnulty and Scougall to part finance this. If we aren't playing four four two then discount all the above.

The issue is that there's more than 3 things we're crying out for! I'll do a slightly longer list

1. Pace
2. Goals from midfield
3. Skill
4. Solid defenders
5. Leadership/A proper captain
5. Corner takers
6. Direct free-kick taker (have we scored a single one this season? If not, that's dreadful)

That's just off the top of my head. Lacking in many places.

1. Quality commanding centre half
2. A proper winger, ideally left sided
3. Athletic all rounder of a central midfielder

4. Another centre half
5. Defensive midfielder
6. Right winger
7. Left back
8. Centre forward

It's hard to list them in order. How can any position where you're totally inadequate not be an absolute priority?!

Goal keeper is one area where i think we're doing ok

1. Centre Half & Captain
2. Centre Half
3. Centre midfield - Ball player
4. Centre midfield - Ball winner
5. Left Back
6. Striker - Target Man
7. Winger - one that can cross a fucking ball!

Top priority for recruitmant should be a new manager. There's every chance that Kenny Jackett may be available soon and he would be my first choice, although he may want to stay in the Championship.
Steve Cotterill or Chris Powell are available and both could be sound choices, after recent promotions from League One (although I thought this about Adkins). Karl Robinson is rumoured to be moving on from his present job, although I'm not sure he would get the time he needs to put his style in play, although McCabe is rumoured to be a big fan of his.
Chris Wilder would be the obvious choice, if a young manager on the up, is the type McCabe wants to go for. After serving his apprenticeship, he's ready to move up to the next level. Other candidates will also become available at the end of the season.
Any of the above mentioned would surely do a better job than the clown currently in charge, who after a good start to his manegerial career, has now found his career to be in decline. He is yesterdays man, unlike Wilder a manager on the up.

I think we all have similar views.

We need to build the spine of the team with three big lads, minimum. Big, strong hard nut Centre Half, big strong hard nut centre mid, big strong hard nut striker.

We need a fast midfield play maker who can also score goals, coming in behind the strikers.

We need a pacey winger who can beat his man and whip in a cross, time after time after time.

So a minimum of five players for me, and that is just scratching the surface

Top priority for recruitmant should be a new manager. There's every chance that Kenny Jackett may be available soon and he would be my first choice, although he may want to stay in the Championship.
Steve Cotterill or Chris Powell are available and both could be sound choices, after recent promotions from League One (although I thought this about Adkins). Karl Robinson is rumoured to be moving on from his present job, although I'm not sure he would get the time he needs to put his style in play, although McCabe is rumoured to be a big fan of his.
Chris Wilder would be the obvious choice, if a young manager on the up, is the type McCabe wants to go for. After serving his apprenticeship, he's ready to move up to the next level. Other candidates will also become available at the end of the season.
Any of the above mentioned would surely do a better job than the clown currently in charge, who after a good start to his manegerial career, has now found his career to be in decline. He is yesterdays man, unlike Wilder a manager on the up.

So you think that paying off a manager and his assistants is a good use of McCabe's money? Haven't we done that enough over recent years?

Does every thread have to be turned into this?

Chris Wilder isn't "young" - he's 48. You mention that Karl Robinson wouldn't get time to " put his style in play" whilst wanting a manager out who has a similar style of play? Maybe he's the one we should give time?

Chris Wilder isn't "young" - he's 48. You mention that Karl Robinson wouldn't get time to " put his style in play" whilst wanting a manager out who has a similar style of play? Maybe he's the one we should give time?

Some might find it a tad suspicious that as a new member, 48 out of the 48 messages he's contributed to this site have been slagging off the manager and calling for his head.

Often littered with factual inaccuracies like the one you've highlighted.

Some might find it a tad suspicious that as a new member, 48 out of the 48 messages he's contributed to this site have been slagging off the manager and calling for his head.

Often littered with factual inaccuracies like the one you've highlighted.

Great username though!

You could also point to the huge finance Cotterill received at Bristol, and the fact none of them have achieved owt at Championship level (unlike Adkins).

Depends if we're assuming we'll still have any of Edgar, Baptiste or Hammond. If not

1. 2 CBs as a matter of the utmost urgency. One big and dominating (Dan Burn or similar) the other quicker but still strong (Baptiste or similar).

2. A defensive midfield hard man but preferably more mobile than Hammond

3. A midfield goal threat. Central if we're sticking with 352 or a direct winger who can contribute goals and assists if it's to be 442.

4. A big man up top as an alternative to Sharp/Adams. Lewin might eventually take this role but don't think he's strong enough yet for anything more than a bit part.

5. If 352, a left wing back to challenge Done. If 442, a box to box midfield player to compliement priority No 2.

6. An experienced GK to challenge and mentor Long.

Goal keeper is one area where i think we're doing ok

1. Centre Half & Captain
2. Centre Half
3. Centre midfield - Ball player
4. Centre midfield - Ball winner
5. Left Back
6. Striker - Target Man
7. Winger - one that can cross a fucking ball!

Swiss agree , but would add to the list a back up goalkeeper . Could it be Kelvin Davies .

UTB.

Great username though!

You could also point to the huge finance Cotterill received at Bristol, and the fact none of them have achieved owt at Championship level (unlike Adkins).

You could point out WE AINT in the kin Championship!
And there's absolutely no sign of us getting there!

And that Clough in particular and this clown have wasted millions rather than spending it wisely.

Forget his record. Look at what he has done here.
A season of massive failure in every aspect of being a team manager
and SO kin annoying.

You could point out WE AINT in the kin Championship!
And there's absolutely no sign of us getting there!

And that Clough in particular and this clown have wasted millions rather than spending it wisely.

Forget his record. Look at what he has done here.
A season of massive failure in every aspect of being a team manager
and SO kin annoying.

You could point that out but it'd be asinine comment due to him having three, yes three, third tier promotions. If he has has wasted millions, that would be the money he raised through the sale of Murphy (2 million plus) and the Old Trafford cup money. Thats not to say that there aren't any valid criticisms.

We need to build the spine of the team with three big lads, minimum. Big, strong hard nut Centre Half, big strong hard nut centre mid, big strong hard nut striker.

Easiest job in the world cutting and pasting the same thoughts as Comrade Grappler et al.

Ideally none of the players whose contracts are up (with the possible exception of Long) would be here next season. I am, however, assuming that finances are going to to be restricted so I expect a number of one year extensions, at least one or two sales, most incomers out of contract elsewhere. The squad has disappointed hugely and my definites to hang on to would be Sharp. Adams, but I think he will be sold. Brayford, unless we can make most of our money back. Basham can be useful but like all of the others I would listen to offers for. So my priorities would be :

General:

1) Ensure any players coming in are fit and not crocked or riddled with injuries - unlike previously. We need 30+ matches @ 90 minutes out of them. Proper due diligence.
2) Ensure that if (when) we sell we get the going rate. I'd like to say keep our better players but we don't do that do we.
3) Try and get some money in for the players still under contract deemed surplus to requirements - eg Scougall, McNulty.
4) Get rid (sale or loan) of the ones still under contract who we can't sell and are not good enough - Freeman, Woolford
5) Prioritise getting good value for money on replacements - L1 wages not Championship, players on the upward path.
6) Season long loans only for players in positions where we are crying out for improvement, who we know can do the job (unlike Sammon), where the terms are right and who might want to stay. I'd like to think Baptiste but I think that is wishful thinking - he would be my benchmark.
7) Only extend the contracts of those players out of contract where absolutely necessary, but on our terms - eg Long, possibly Magahey. Get rid of the rest.
8) Only bring in hungry players with the right attitude (no "I" in team, do or die). No prima donnas or players under 5'9" or over age 30 unless they are proven, very good and still have their legs (not Hammond).
9) Loan out youngsters coming through but not ready to challenge for 1st team - let them get the experience elsewhere and make their mistakes for someone else. No loans if they are just going to benchwarm.

Specific :

1) Bring in a capable goalkeeper who commands his box and who organises his defence well.
2) 2 commanding CB's with pace, quality who can bring the ball out of defence (the latter is much needed if we play 352).
3) Left back who can play effectively in a 442 or 352.
4) Defensive midfielder with pace who can head, tackle and pass effectively.
5) Box to box midfielder with pace who can tackle, pass creatively, shoot and head.
6) CF with pace and height who can head and lead the line.( I expect Adams or Done to be sold so use the money wisely) - not Ched Evans (would be toxic).
7) A Rightside MF/W and a Leftside MF/W that can goby a player and cross.
8) One of the CB's or MF to have very strong leadership/captaincy skills

Nicky ajose,Bradshaw,dack,sawyers,Novak,Baptiste.
Having the fund's to get just any off the above is out of the question I reckon,but are the players we should be looking at et al what wolves did the other year and cherry picked the best players from there promotion rivals.
Our standout singing of the summer no doubt will be Hammond.
I think it's nailed on.

I'd use one of the young lads (Willis or Ramsdale) as reserve keeper and send the other out on a season loan
If no keeper is signed Ramsdale will be on the bench next season, no doubt about it.

I believe Willis is to be released, just returned from a season loan at Matlock Town.

If no keeper is signed Ramsdale will be on the bench next season, no doubt about it.

I believe Willis is to be released, just returned from a season loan at Matlock Town.

Willis is unfortunate but there's only one goalkeeper spot and he's caught between Long and Ramsdale (and Eastwood maybe?). He (Willis) will probably get a gig at L2/Conference level; good luck to him.

Back
Top Bottom