Pressing and chasing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Pressing high up the pitch, and regaining possession quickly was said to be a feature of Wilder's playing style when he came here. Before Saturday it's worked for spells, especially at the start of games, but we haven't been able to keep it up all game.

Saturday was better in this respect, although it's still something we can improve even more. The combination of Scougall and Done helped, and I think their work should be appreciated, rather than described as "just running around a lot", "headless chicken" etc.

When we do lose possession high up the pitch Wilder wants us to make an attempt at getting it back straight away. This is what has also been described as Gegenpressing, and it requires great stamina and work rate from the players. Scougall is very good at this. He's able ro run - fast - very often and covers a lot of space.

It's not in vain if the pressing player doesn't quite make a block or interception. There is real value in putting the opposition player under pressure before he has time to pick out a pass, leading to a poor one which other members of our team can pick up.

Some examples by Scougall on Saturday. He doesn't always win the ball, but the way he's sprinting to put players under pressure means we regain possession, also thanks to other teammates showing tenacity, aggression and good pressing. I think Wilder appreciates this part of Scougall's game, unlike Nigel Adkins and it fits with the playing style he's trying to develop.

Richard Cresswell sometimes used to chase defenders around like a mad man, and sometimes he also got a tackle in, which fans liked. I used to think Cresswell's mad chasing was often in vain though, because it wasn't really an element to the playing style at the time. It usually just meant the opposition would throw in and start again without having the then out-of-breath striker bothering them. Gegenpressing is more about winning the ball and then punishing the opposition before they can regroup.

Our equaliser on Saturday happened like that. Basham's long ball wasn't accurate, but Sharp put the centre half under so much pressure that his clearing header was poor. Done was there to pick it up, ran, crossed for Sharp who scored. Scougall and Duffy had also got into the box as the cross came in.

Seeing that again, Sharp definitely fouled his defender!

As for pressing. If you get a team pressing and playing as a unit for 75-80 minutes of a game in League 1, you'll get promoted. Simple as that really. Too many mistakes in teams at this level.

High pressing tends only to be at it's optimum effectiveness when the team that's doing it is has a lot better players, overall, than the other. This is why teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona like to do it. They're always vastly superior in terms of quality. It was also Pep Guardiola's favoured system at Bayern Munich and he's trying to bring it over to Man City with him and so far it's working.

I'd say our squad is too much of a similar match to other teams in the league to confidently and consistently play it. It can still work when that's the case it's often too risky with players getting caught out due to the greater similarity in quality, and then the whole team is in a vulnerable position higher up the pitch.

Seeing that again, Sharp definitely fouled his defender!

As for pressing. If you get a team pressing and playing as a unit for 75-80 minutes of a game in League 1, you'll get promoted. Simple as that really. Too many mistakes in teams at this level.

Sharp does his turn and run into the defender trick at least a dozen times every game. Usually it results in a free kick, but he gets away with it quite a bit too.

High pressing tends only to be at it's optimum effectiveness when the team that's doing it is has a lot better players, overall, than the other. This is why teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona like to do it. They're always vastly superior in terms of quality. It was also Pep Guardiola's favoured system at Bayern Munich and he's trying to bring it over to Man City with him and so far it's working.

I'd say our squad is too much of a similar match to other teams in the league to confidently and consistently play it. It can still work when that's the case it's often too risky with players getting caught out due to the greater similarity in quality, and then the whole team is in a vulnerable position higher up the pitch.

Two words - Leicester City.

Sharp does his turn and run into the defender trick at least a dozen times every game. Usually it results in a free kick, but he gets away with it quite a bit too.

It's his little T-Rex push that makes me laugh. It was so obvious as well.

Two words - Leicester City.
Good point but you'd be hard pressed to find too many examples similar to Leicester's remarkable achievements last season when you go back, and you'll be hard pressed to see many like it in future too.

Good point but you'd be hard pressed to find too many examples similar to Leicester's remarkable achievements last season when you go back, and you'll be hard pressed to see many like it in future too.

True, but at this level, if you constantly press defenders and midfielders they will make multiple mistakes. Look at the screw ups we've made under pressure. It's having the players to do it. We have 2 or 3. We need 7 or 8.

True, but at this level, if you constantly press defenders and midfielders they will make multiple mistakes. Look at the screw ups we've made under pressure. It's having the players to do it. We have 2 or 3. We need 7 or 8.
I agree, that's what I was getting at. We don't have the players to play it, quality wise.

Billy's goal..

ONLY Freeman & Wallace congratulating him...

Hmm....

Wasn't there, but did anyone else?

Look at the options Coutts (I think, or Freeman) has here.

Blades_2-1_Oxford_-_match_action_-_YouTube_-_2016-08-30_00.47.17.png

Last edited:
We pressed far better in the second half on Saturday than we have all season, and on more than one occasion it led to decent opportunities. Scougall and Done were most effective at it. But as things stand I don't think we have the personnel to consistently play an effective, fruitful pressing game. If we can get more suitable players for it, or at least get better at it as a team, then it should lead to a lot of chances for us because at this level teams make mistakes very easily.

What was also pleasing on Saturday was the number of interceptions we made in central areas, second half in particular. Every time Oxford tried to attack through the middle it was cut out. We also made a high number of blocks, which is something I've not seen us do for a long time.

It only takes one player not working to stop high pressing working. Hopefully Clarke took notes from the bench.

Jurgen Klopp said the no 10 role was "the most intensive defensive position in football". Not all players will be able to carry that out. I don't think Clarke is right for it. Sharp probably isn't ideal either, but roles seemed more clearly defined on Saturday and that helped us.

Reactions: Dkc

Athletic Bilbao is another example and we should keep an eye out in general for teams who punch above their weight. They are doing certain things better than the rest.

I like Scougall and I suspect Bergen Blade is a fan as well.

I can't see why he can't rediscover the same form that he showed when he first came here, providing our playing style fits him and his teammates complement him. He's got obvious weaknesses, but it will be interesting to see if he can build on Saturday's performance.

Didn't go on Saturday because I thought (and now know) that I am the jinx. However, based on what I have seen and heard, it seems to me that Scougs work at pressing is bearing fruit. It makes oppositions make mistakes. You don't have to be Pogba or Alli to do this, you just need a good engine. Once done and we have possession, even our mediocre players can carve out opportunities. It's all about gaining possession in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom