Pre season testing at Hallam Uni

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Interesting article. Don't think I've seen something similar on the club website before. Looks like Adkins means business!

That is good news and refreshing to see new ideas being put to use. I don't know if it was just me but at times last season the team looked hopelessly unfit compared to opposition teams and our injury list was horrendous, I don't know if the two are linked but yes using science should have a big benefit to a side of our game that frankly looked amatuer last season.

I think we've done similar fitness analysis when we've started back going back as far as Tony Daley and the other fella under Warnock.

We've also occasionally used the university to do some analysis in the past.

Nowadays it seems the norm to analyse and set a baseline for fitness in preseason as it allows the coaches to taylor programmes.

One thing I know that Clough didn't believe in though was strength, conditioning and nutrition, this came from my triathlon coach as he was also doing work with one of the younger fringe players. I understand clough didn't focus on this as he saw it as a responsibility of the players to do this.

Given that we we always looked a very physically fit side under clough it didn't seem to be a fitness issue, but perhaps some players could've been physically stronger rather than just fit.

Interesting article. Don't think I've seen something similar on the club website before. Looks like Adkins means business!
Not the university stuff but every preseason we seem to have stuff on hr monitors etc

It's nothing new to SUFC but the uni work is

will some of them need a gps??
Yeah we'll see them in the GPS vests again on the training pitch by the end of the week

I reckon the OS will have a group pic of them taking on water and another of them in a group doing a gentle jog

Think it's the standard preseason OS pics

I think we've done similar fitness analysis when we've started back going back as far as Tony Daley and the other fella under Warnock.

We've also occasionally used the university to do some analysis in the past.

Nowadays it seems the norm to analyse and set a baseline for fitness in preseason as it allows the coaches to taylor programmes.

One thing I know that Clough didn't believe in though was strength, conditioning and nutrition, this came from my triathlon coach as he was also doing work with one of the younger fringe players. I understand clough didn't focus on this as he saw it as a responsibility of the players to do this.

Given that we we always looked a very physically fit side under clough it didn't seem to be a fitness issue, but perhaps some players could've been physically stronger rather than just fit.
Strange you should say that Swiss, I must have dreamt all the times Clough was bemoaning the players were tired despite having the largest squad in the division and constant player rotation.

For 2.5 years our new manager worked in and helped create the centre of excellence which is Southampton F.C.

His experiences working with good players and achieving two promotions there can only help. With respect to Scunny and Reading the things he learned at Southampton are different class and enlightening.

Interestingly, Dean Wilkins was Alan Pardew's Assistant Manager before Adkins went to Southampton, in fact he was manager at Brighton before that. We have some depth in this new management team and they will be in tune with modern practices.

Strange you should say that Swiss, I must have dreamt all the times Clough was bemoaning the players were tired despite having the largest squad in the division and constant player rotation.

Agreed always thought we started extremely sluggishly and looked knackered in the 2nd half. considering we never pressed sides and just dropped off, I can't understand why we we're so goosed all the time!!

For 2.5 years our new manager worked in and helped create the centre of excellence which is Southampton F.C.

His experiences working with good players and achieving two promotions there can only help. With respect to Scunny and Reading the things he learned at Southampton are different class and enlightening.

Interestingly, Dean Wilkins was Alan Pardew's Assistant Manager before Adkins went to Southampton, in fact he was manager at Brighton before that. We have some depth in this new management team and they will be in tune with modern practices.

Bollocks that mate, the board have spent bugger all recruiting this team - FACT. Don't you realise its all come out of the Maguire money! ;)

In all seriousness, compare us to that shower across the city. With a new pitch, a good but patchy squad but with backing to recruit and an outstanding management team we have every reason to be excited!

UTB

NA hardly "created" an Academy when it had long history and a very good track record of finding and nurturing quality players. What he did was show absolute faith in the system and give youngsters a chance. He seems willing to give chances to players he thinks are the better choice and has relied on those judgements often over the more experienced player.

He's certainly helped quite a few to the next level and hopefully he has the players to replicate this up at Shirecliffe.

I though this might crop up.

We played a lot more games than most sides in the division. But our never say die attitude could probably be attributed to fitness. At the start of the season we looked unfit compared to Bristol C but thought our fitness improved a lot through the season.

The rotation reality was that whilst we did rotate it was mainly forced due to knocks and niggles or overplaying certain players like harris and murphy. Tired players would often not be rotated enough like Done

Kin El, GPS what do they put in as the destination the goalmouth?
For the sake of clarity, the GPS tracking vests are used so that players can't hide. Basically tracks each player during training to see the distance and speed data. I Think they also track HR data as well

Sorry for being dull ;)

I though this might crop up.

We played a lot more games than most sides in the division. But our never say die attitude could probably be attributed to fitness. At the start of the season we looked unfit compared to Bristol C but thought our fitness improved a lot through the season.

The rotation reality was that whilst we did rotate it was mainly forced due to knocks and niggles or overplaying certain players like harris and murphy. Tired players would often not be rotated enough like Done
Sorry I don't buy that excuse most people acknowledge that for example Bristol C, MkD, Swindon, Chesterfield and Preston players played as many if not more games than our players due to smaller squads yet were still going strong at the end of the season.

Sorry I don't buy that excuse most people acknowledge that for example Bristol C, MkD, Swindon, Chesterfield and Preston players played as many if not more games than our players due to smaller squads yet were still going strong at the end of the season.
I'm not using it as an excuse, merely a statement of fact ;)

We made some bad decisions and im not on this thread to analyse the season again, but fitness wise we did a lot last season of what is being done at United now. Don't know the ins and outs but I'd say there were similarities in the testing, what we did with the results of the testing is another thing...

I'd of liked to have seen the state of the squad after being worked to the same degree as some other sides that were 20 points ahead of us. I think signing some players with quality is more of a pressing need than fitness levels of the many things that are needed at the moment though.

I'm not using it as an excuse, merely a statement of fact ;)

We made some bad decisions and im not on this thread to analyse the season again, but fitness wise we did a lot last season of what is being done at United now. Don't know the ins and outs but I'd say there were similarities in the testing, what we did with the results of the testing is another thing...
The only fact is our players were physically and mentally worn out before the end of the season and in games quite a few were blowing out of their arses after 60mins.

The only fact is our players were physically and mentally worn out before the end of the season and in games quite a few were blowing out of their arses after 60mins.
Yep a longer season and relative cup success will do that ;)

For the sake of clarity, the GPS tracking vests are used so that players can't hide. Basically tracks each player during training to see the distance and speed data. I Think they also track HR data as well

Sorry for being dull ;)
Not dull SB very informative..... Why are Human Resources involved? :confused:

Are you taking the piss, United looked a fit side under Clough?

Higdon had an 8 month "mini pre season" yet still couldnt outrun the dooley statue, Baxter gradually got fatter and fatter until he resembled Neil Shipperley, we consistently conceded late goals, hardly ever scored late on and generally looked slow and buggered after 70 minutes.

If that was a fit side, how would you describe the squads who literally never stopped running under Warnock.

A run around Endcliffe Park is not a professional pre season regime alone and I'm glad Adkins is dragging us back out of the 70s.

The lengths some will go to to apologise for the Clough regime eh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I think most who you are aiming this at are just fed up of the constant whinging and slagging of a former manager. Has anyone said time to move on? Yes. So please do.

Back
Top Bottom