Pre-season 2015..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

zablade

Reaction score
What do you reckon then?

For me it looks a mighty lot better than the shambles of 12 months ago, already the team look like they know what they are working towards on the pitch, sensible recruitment with hopefully the Centre Back to come in the next few days.

Pos Nige is still in is honeymoon period but already I am confident of a top two challenge.

Hey up lad. 12 months ago we were all confident in Nigel 1, let's be reight!!

I agree with you though.

Lot more confident.

Under Adkins, who's actually done something I feel like he CAN get us over the line. With Clough it was just hope, no proof.

Wowzer :adkins:

Hey up lad. 12 months ago we were all confident in Nigel 1, let's be reight!!

I agree with you though.

Objection your honour not All of us were.

Agree with Za though it is looking very promising so far.

People reckon you can't read too much into preseason And I'd agree but When I've been to preseason games I reckon it gives a fair indication of the state of the side.

York last year - we looked unimaginative and boring. And that's how we played for the season with the exception of the cup games.

Blackys last season we were shocking at Mansfield. And I thought we looked like we'd struggle

Conversely we played with style in wilsons first season here so it's encouraging to hear the preseason games have been going well this far.

Also I could tell Barry hayles was going to be horrific after watching him getting destroyed by Matlock town and missing an open net from 2 inches while a young quinny absolutely bossed the park.

..but pre-season was a shambles with clough falling out with Butler, Collins and Doyle, right?

That wasn't quite 12 months ago!!!

Let's be real. We have a hell of a lot of sorting and sifting the wheat from the chaff yet.

We have a squad of 55 loaves and 20 fishes which we need to feed just 22 or so big egos andappetites with, if you get my drift. I know what I mean.

Why didn't you say so then - that's the acid test.
You mean like when I pointed out Clough seemed to be the only person in the North of England who didn't seem to know Maguire was going to go, and not to mention the "teenage girl at the prom" like pursuit of Brayford last pre season which I said was over riding everything.. Also, and I know this wasn't Clough, putting everything on Ched's return...

Let's be real. We have a hell of a lot of sorting and sifting the wheat from the chaff yet.

We have a squad of 55 loaves and 20 fishes which we need to feed just 22 or so big egos andappetites with, if you get my drift. I know what I mean.

Ok, I know what you mean, not quite 12 months to be pedantic..but you know what I mean too eh?..it's all about points in the league at the end of the day, however positive/negative the manager..but it helps to keep a happy squads hat is progressing, which we seem to have now.

UTB!

You mean like when I pointed out Clough seemed to be the only person in the North of England who didn't seem to know Maguire was going to go, and not to mention the "teenage girl at the prom" like pursuit of Brayford last pre season which I said was over riding everything.. Also, and I know this wasn't Clough, putting everything on Ched's return...

No I don't mean any of those, it's like when you're looking at the time for such posters and there were a couple in fact.

Ok, I know what you mean, not quite 12 months to be pedantic..but you know what I mean too eh?..it's all about points in the league at the end of the day, however positive/negative the manager..but it helps to keep a happy squads hat is progressing, which we seem to have now.

UTB!

Truth is the manager can't get rid of so many players until summer 2016.

Truth is the manager can't get rid of so many players until summer 2016.

Depends how many are happy to wend the next 12 months away doing nowt. I would imagine a fair few of them would at least like to be loaned out elsewhere if they aren't pushing for a spot here. They are professional sportsmen who you would hope in most cases have some competitive spirit about themselves.

Depends how many are happy to wend the next 12 months away doing nowt. I would imagine a fair few of them would at least like to be loaned out elsewhere if they aren't pushing for a spot here. They are professional sportsmen who you would hope in most cases have some competitive spirit about themselves.
I think most will want to fight for a place in the first team and be part of what could be a successful promotion campaign. We'll probably play well in excess of fifty games this season so there should be opportunities for most to show what they can do.
Might see a few changes in the JTW.

Yes it would and it would also be interesting to examine on here just how many fans still believed in the player and not the manager!!
I believe that if Collins had played against Swindon we would have got to the play off final... Still would have got tanked against Preston but still.

Decent form from both first team and reserve players in the friendlies and New Nigel bringing in some cracking signings... I think we're going to have a belter of a season.

We have a squad of 55 loaves and 20 fishes which we need to feed just 22 or so big egos andappetites with

So 54 loaves and some chips for Mcnulty and Higdon, leaves one loaf and the healthier gently steamed fish for the rest then.

We have a squad of 55 loaves and 20 fishes which we need to feed just 22 or so big egos and appetites with, if you get my drift. I know what I mean.

Disagree with that comment.

The squad is not too bad in my opinion for challenging in the third division.

There is a hole in the centre of defence that has taken longer to plug than I'd expected.
I'd be surprised if agents having been banging on the door with c/h's on offer and his scout mate who we now employ should have lists of 'em.

Still 10 days [if we sign one today] to get them integrated into the team should be enough - always has in the past hasn't it?

Pre-season is going well so far, I was impressed with our performance against Newcastle and we deserved to win. I remember last season how some of us were told that 'pre-season doesn't matter', after commenting on our embarrassing 4-0 loss to Burton. Look how last season turned out, hardly great was it (barring the cup run)? Like someone pointed out on this thread, there is a correlation between how pre-season goes and how the season can pan out. Teams can gain confidence from a good pre-season and can carry form through into the new season.

Based on how our pre-season is going, particularly compared to the last one, I have far more optimism about the up-coming season.

Disagree with that comment.

The squad is not too bad in my opinion for challenging in the third division.

There is a hole in the centre of defence that has taken longer to plug than I'd expected.
I'd be surprised if agents having been banging on the door with c/h's on offer and his scout mate who we now employ should have lists of 'em.

Still 10 days [if we sign one today] to get them integrated into the team should be enough - always has in the past hasn't it?

Fair comment though we would not be doing a number of players any service by retaining them on our books and them never getting a game. If 24 plus development lads is an optimum squad size once things settle down then we have a number more than that.

In Sunday's excellent post match interview, which can be heard on the Deadbat report thread, Adkins referred to that situation but said he would not rush into it and was happy to keep players for development by the new coaching team if the individual is better served by that for a couple of months rather than game time out on loan. That might not be relevant for certain older players though.

Pre-season is going well so far, I was impressed with our performance against Newcastle and we deserved to win. I remember last season how some of us were told that 'pre-season doesn't matter', after commenting on our embarrassing 4-0 loss to Burton. Look how last season turned out, hardly great was it (barring the cup run)? Like someone pointed out on this thread, there is a correlation between how pre-season goes and how the season can pan out. Teams can gain confidence from a good pre-season and can carry form through into the new season.

Based on how our pre-season is going, particularly compared to the last one, I have far more optimism about the up-coming season.

It's easy to see that the squad is buzzing, both individually and collectively. Adkins is prepared to praise players and also the team when praise is due and he has had the opportunities to do so. For example Calvert-Lewin must feel 10 foot tall these days and Collins and McEveley must be pinching themselves. Already fans are looking at the very same players in a different light in this new regime. The smiles are back.

It's easy to see that the squad is buzzing, both individually and collectively. Adkins is prepared to praise players and also the team when praise is due and he has had the opportunities to do so. For example Calvert-Lewin must feel 10 foot tall these days and Collins and McEveley must be pinching themselves. Already fans are looking at the very same players in a different light in this new regime. The smiles are back.

Good post Woody, as you say, there's a palpable sense of expectation around the club. For me it's still early days, and I'm far from convinced that the defensive issues are in any way solved. No doubt NA is working on that, but the goals conceded against Newcastle were elementary errors, similar to much of last season, and the last thing any of us want is to see a repeat of the shoulder shrugging, looking at one another as if not responsible, mistakes that became a regular part of last season's weaknesses.

Calvert Lewin is bloody massive anyway, all we need is him growing another 4 foot. He'll be as slow as Higdon by the time Adkins is done.
Adkins art.

Fair comment though we would not be doing a number of players any service by retaining them on our books and them never getting a game. If 24 plus development lads is an optimum squad size once things settle down then we have a number more than that.

In Sunday's excellent post match interview, which can be heard on the Deadbat report thread, Adkins referred to that situation but said he would not rush into it and was happy to keep players for development by the new coaching team if the individual is better served by that for a couple of months rather than game time out on loan. That might not be relevant for certain older players though.

When Adkins became manager there were several posts on the forum regarding his playing styles, systems etc.
One of them quoted him as preferring an ideal squad having both experienced and development squad players challenging for every position.
If that's the case then we might see less of a squad clearout than many are expecting.

Good post Woody, as you say, there's a palpable sense of expectation around the club. For me it's still early days, and I'm far from convinced that the defensive issues are in any way solved. No doubt NA is working on that, but the goals conceded against Newcastle were elementary errors, similar to much of last season, and the last thing any of us want is to see a repeat of the shoulder shrugging, looking at one another as if not responsible, mistakes that became a regular part of last season's weaknesses.

In fairness no defence could have expected such a perfect through ball to Cisse from Murphy, but I do agree we were stretched early in the game. However it was a Premier League outfit we were playing in truth.

Back
Top Bottom