Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Robbie Earle's Perm

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game.

I wondered if one or more of you (up to a maximum of 3 due to space constraints) have a few minutes and would kindly be prepared to share a few views / your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?

3. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)?

4. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season?

5. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?

6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?

7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?

8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?

9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)?

Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Notts County fans from a game with them;

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?76437-Opposing-views-Notts-County-(H)

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Wednesdayand the report should appear on the website a day or two before our fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,

REP

We are as consistent as dogshit, but not dogshit enough to lose on boxing day.
Merry Christmas.

Been to Port Vale and never enjoyed it . I think we drew 3-3 once on a foggy night . Also on a sad , sombre note were blades fans involved in a fatal accident years ago going to Port Vale . A ground and team who do not bring back happy memories for me.

Blades with a 1-0 win for me .

UTB

Been once - 1980's sometime - think we lost but my main memory is getting corned by some fucking nobhead port vale fans who came looking for trouble after the game.

4 of us - me, Brian my best man at wedding now sadly passed away and his mate Richard who was a copper and his girlfriend.

Did the sensible thing - stood tall, looked hard (joke!) and they took off.

Just remember it being a shit hole of a ground, although they now have a "proper" 4th side to the ground. Don't think the old 4th side was used in those days.

So as to memories..........NONE, except bad ones.

UTB

If you knew our squad a s we do you wouldn't have bothered with point 3

Port Vale - wasn't that a huge ground supposed to be the Wembley of the North? I remember a huge ground that never got finished.

Deffo went there in the early Eighties, were we sharing the Fourth Division glory year together? And as for trouble I recall the naughty forty, but never the vale equivalent, the quarrelsome two?

As for your questions, after question six, I can't really answer, but then could you for us nowadays?

I mean no disrespect, but it has come to something when we are asked what our most memorable game has been with Port Vale and which Vale player would add most value to our squad. I genuinely mean that there is no disrespect, but Eight years ago we were playing premiership football, with future England players in our youth ranks and had a team that was cheated of its status by two players who've since won the premiership and la liga.

I appreciate you have a job to do, but maybe some perspective rather than a blanket set of questions asked to all clubs, may yield some dividend?

For instance, ask us;

1. How upset are you, as a Blade, that you wonder where the next goal against teams like port vale will come from?

2. Where did it all go wrong that when we go to the potteries we aren't going to the Victoria ground or current equivalent now?

3. Why is watching sheffield fc, drinking two thirds of a gallon of thornbridge Jaipur, a better bet on Boxing Day than going to places like burslem nowadays?

As I say, I mean no disrespect but we should not be here....

(Question One altered as it appeared it may have been ambiguous as some didn't realise it was a question to be asked of us and not asked of the Port Vale poster..)
(Question Two altered as my intended irony of our lack of visits to what has been the Potteries better performing team may have been too subtle.. )

Last edited:
Port Vale - wasn't that a huge ground supposed to be the Wembley of the North? I remember a huge ground that never got finished.

Deffo went there in the early Eighties, were we sharing the Fourth Division glory year together? And as for trouble I recall the naughty forty, but never the vale equivalent, the quarrelsome two?

As for your questions, after question six, I can't really answer, but then could you for us nowadays?

I mean no disrespect, but it has come to something when we are asked what our most memorable game has been with Port Vale and which Vale player would add most value to our squad. I genuinely mean that there is No disrespect, but Eight years ago we were playing premiership football, with future England players in our youth ranks and a team that was cheated of its status by two players who've since won the premiership and la liga.

I appreciate you have a job to do, but maybe some perspective rather than a blanket set of questions may yield some dividend?

For instance,

1. How sad are you that you wonder where the next goal against teams like port vale will come from?

2. Where did it all go wrong that when we go to the potteries we aren't going to the Victoria ground now?

3. Why is watching sheffield fc, drinking two thirds of a gallon of thornbridge Jaipur, a better bet on Boxing Day than going to places like burslem nowadays?

So basically, REP, after three years of playing in the third division, we are still so completely unable to come to terms with the fact that we are here that we can't bring ourselves to answer questions from someone who supports such an inferior club.

Make sure you take a positive report back to fellow Vale fans won't you?

Oh hang on, no, what am I saying? We don't care what Vale fans think of us. We only care what Manchester United fans think of us. They should care. We're massive you know. Take back whatever report you like. We don't care. We hate you! No - I didn't say that - I mean we have no opinion of you. Leave us alone!

I'm a young web developer from Sheffield in my spare time I make music and have been lucky enough to get regular airplay on stations like BBC Radio 1 and DJ round the country. I bought my first season ticket in 2006 when the Blades were promoted to the BPL.

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
I expect us to finish minimum top 6, although if the cup can be a catalyst again for our league form we could threaten the top 2. Ultimately I'd predicted we'll finish 4th.

Our most dangerous player is Jaime Murphy, he's got pace, runs past defenders and puts balls into the box.

Nigel Clough had an incredible season last year for us, reaching the FA Cup semi-final and taking us on an 11 game win streak which broke the club record.

We have a rather frustrating board who seem to have squandered the tevez money, parachute payments and sold some of our best players year-in-year-out. Although we have impressive training facilities, a hotel and an excellent youth academy.

6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?
You've got an ex-blade Michael Brown who was a legend at the club from 2000-2004 which is interesting. Jordan Slew is a blades youth academy product & looked a real prospect but he's ultimately flopped at Blackburn. Alex Nimley looks a cracking prospect from what I've seen and Tom Pope is a decent striker.

I'd expect a mid-table finish as you've struggled this season after a decent finish last year. If your new manager can string together some results I think you'd do well to finish just outside the playoffs.

Never attended a game against Vale but I remember us always winning by a score of 1-2, 2-1 or by one goal. Its probably worth a mention that this fixture is the highest ever away win with a score of Port Vale 0 - Sheff Utd 10.

Port Vale 1 - Sheffield United 2, after beating Southampton to reach the League Cup semi-final, I'd expect us to keep it tight and nick a couple of goals. Could be more if we hit top form, Clough has said someone is due a "spanking" for some time. Potential scorers: Michael Brown, Jordan Slew, Chris O'Grady.

"And as for trouble I recall the naughty forty, but never the vale equivalent, the quarrelsome two?"

Very good :)

Been to see United at Vale Park a few times and it always seems to be a dank day shrouded in fog. I'm sure I've only seen us lose there once, day after Boxing day 1983. Hammered Rotherham at the Lane the day before, then simply didn't turn up the next day. Remember Edwards scored a screamer there in the fourth division.

Been to Port Vale and never enjoyed it . I think we drew 3-3 once on a foggy night .
UTB

That must have been 1988, old Div 3 with Deane and Agana just revving up, it was a miserable autumn evening.

I mean no disrespect, but it has come to something when we are asked what our most memorable game has been with Port Vale and which Vale player would add most value to our squad. I genuinely mean that there is No disrespect, but Eight years ago we were playing premiership football, with future England players in our youth ranks and a team that was cheated of its status by two players who've since won the premiership and la liga.

I appreciate you have a job to do, but maybe some perspective rather than a blanket set of questions may yield some dividend?

For instance,

1. How sad are you that you wonder where the next goal against teams like port vale will come from?

2. Where did it all go wrong that when we go to the potteries we aren't going to the Victoria ground now?

You say three times that you mean no disrespect, yet one of your responses asks Robbie Earle's Perm how sad he is. In my view, Robbie should stick with it.

Nobody goes to the Victoria Ground these days, not even Chelsea, this evening.

We're where we deserve to be and I wish it wasn't so, but it isn't Port Vale's fault.

Been a fan for over 45 years, used to travel all over to watch the team but then learned sense. Don't enjoy supporting the club but cant seem to be able to stop doing so

After our January recruitment drive that ends up with two players being sold, I'd expect us to be pushing for the play offs, just like the boardroom will.

Jamie Murphy, if he fancies it and doesn't think about risking injury before he's sold the week after

Signings are mostly average Third Division players who lack drive, ambition, bottle and fitness. Manager signed fourteen average players because he was prevented from signing three quality ones, so he's about as good for the job as anyone else.

I hate our board of directors, however bad you might think yours are, trust me, they've got nothing on our set of backward retarded fuckwits

I could say Tom Pope , but he wouldn't score goals for us. Anyone else probably yes, but us, No.

Eighth

8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)
Dean Saunders goal from the throw in off the goalkeepers arse

0-0 Clough will be so delighted he'll have a wank on the way home

So basically, REP, after three years of playing in the third division, we are still so completely unable to come to terms with the fact that we are here that we can't bring ourselves to answer questions from someone who supports such an inferior club.

Make sure you take a positive report back to fellow Vale fans won't you?

Oh hang on, no, what am I saying? We don't care what Vale fans think of us. We only care what Manchester United fans think of us. They should care. We're massive you know. Take back whatever report you like. We don't care. We hate you! No - I didn't say that - I mean we have no opinion of you. Leave us alone!

I didn't want to reply to the original post as I thought I may upset him further as a 'little old Port Vale fan' but your reply to his put it so beautifully. I remember some cracking games back in the late 80's and early 90's including the one another poster mentions back in our mutual promotion season from THIS VERY DIVISION back in 88.

It does make me laugh when fans claim their clubs to be bigger than other others, its like little man syndrome really, most Stoke fans have it ;)

Been a fan for over 45 years, used to travel all over to watch the team but then learned sense. Don't enjoy supporting the club but cant seem to be able to stop doing so

After our January recruitment drive that ends up with two players being sold, I'd expect us to be pushing for the play offs, just like the boardroom will.

Jamie Murphy, if he fancies it and doesn't think about risking injury before he's sold the week after

Signings are mostly average Third Division players who lack drive, ambition, bottle and fitness. Manager signed fourteen average players because he was prevented from signing three quality ones, so he's about as good for the job as anyone else.

I hate our board of directors, however bad you might think yours are, trust me, they've got nothing on our set of backward retarded fuckwits

I could say Tom Pope , but he wouldn't score goals for us. Anyone else probably yes, but us, No.

Eighth

8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)
Dean Saunders goal from the throw in off the goalkeepers arse

0-0 Clough will be so delighted he'll have a wank on the way home

Thanks JJ as you are the one who has replied in fuIl I will utilise your views for the article. Many thanks to everyone else for their contributions.

I'm a young web developer from Sheffield in my spare time I make music and have been lucky enough to get regular airplay on stations like BBC Radio 1 and DJ round the country. I bought my first season ticket in 2006 when the Blades were promoted to the BPL.

I expect us to finish minimum top 6, although if the cup can be a catalyst again for our league form we could threaten the top 2. Ultimately I'd predicted we'll finish 4th.

Our most dangerous player is Jaime Murphy, he's got pace, runs past defenders and puts balls into the box.

Nigel Clough had an incredible season last year for us, reaching the FA Cup semi-final and taking us on an 11 game win streak which broke the club record.

We have a rather frustrating board who seem to have squandered the tevez money, parachute payments and sold some of our best players year-in-year-out. Although we have impressive training facilities, a hotel and an excellent youth academy.

You've got an ex-blade Michael Brown who was a legend at the club from 2000-2004 which is interesting. Jordan Slew is a blades youth academy product & looked a real prospect but he's ultimately flopped at Blackburn. Alex Nimley looks a cracking prospect from what I've seen and Tom Pope is a decent striker.

I'd expect a mid-table finish as you've struggled this season after a decent finish last year. If your new manager can string together some results I think you'd do well to finish just outside the playoffs.

Never attended a game against Vale but I remember us always winning by a score of 1-2, 2-1 or by one goal. Its probably worth a mention that this fixture is the highest ever away win with a score of Port Vale 0 - Sheff Utd 10.

Port Vale 1 - Sheffield United 2, after beating Southampton to reach the League Cup semi-final, I'd expect us to keep it tight and nick a couple of goals. Could be more if we hit top form, Clough has said someone is due a "spanking" for some time. Potential scorers: Michael Brown, Jordan Slew, Chris O'Grady.

Smashing thanks, I will use yours too.

That must have been 1988, old Div 3 with Deane and Agana just revving up, it was a miserable autumn evening.

You say three times that you mean no disrespect, yet one of your responses asks Robbie Earle's Perm how sad he is. In my view, Robbie should stick with it.

Nobody goes to the Victoria Ground these days, not even Chelsea, this evening.

We're where we deserve to be and I wish it wasn't so, but it isn't Port Vale's fault.

I didn't want to reply to the original post as I thought I may upset him further as a 'little old Port Vale fan' but your reply to his put it so beautifully. I remember some cracking games back in the late 80's and early 90's including the one another poster mentions back in our mutual promotion season from THIS VERY DIVISION back in 88.

It does make me laugh when fans claim their clubs to be bigger than other others, its like little man syndrome really, most Stoke fans have it ;)

Yep unfortunately you do get fans that think they have a right to be in a certain division (our Sheffield neighbours for example) but every club is where they are now on their own merit. We made a series of bad decisions on managers and players and we've ended up in the 3rd division. However, you just have to get on with it. There's no point saying we're the biggest club in the division if we don't take advantage of it. This is our 4th season in this division, being the 'biggest' club hasn't got us very far so far has it?

Yep unfortunately you do get fans that think they have a right to be in a certain division (our Sheffield neighbours for example) but every club is where they are now on their own merit. We made a series of bad decisions on managers and players and we've ended up in the 3rd division. However, you just have to get on with it. There's no point saying we're the biggest club in the division if we don't take advantage of it. This is our 4th season in this division, being the 'biggest' club hasn't got us very far so far has it?

Wise words young man............We ARE the biggest and as of yet we haven't earned the right to get out.

Where as some think we should just play ourselves out - what we really have to do is actually try hard, run faster and compete better than some of the little clubs in this division.

For me, Wolves did exactly that - their manager put together a "tough" team and it paid dividends after a slow start.

We have a team of diddy men in midfield and it's proving a difficult task - Clough will get it right though.

UTB

I mean no disrespect, but it has come to something when we are asked what our most memorable game has been with Port Vale and which Vale player would add most value to our squad. I genuinely mean that there is no disrespect, but Eight years ago we were playing premiership football, with future England players in our youth ranks and had a team that was cheated of its status by two players who've since won the premiership and la liga.

I appreciate you have a job to do, but maybe some perspective rather than a blanket set of questions asked to all clubs, may yield some dividend?

For instance, ask us;

1. How upset are you, as a Blade, that you wonder where the next goal against teams like port vale will come from?

2. Where did it all go wrong that when we go to the potteries we aren't going to the Victoria ground or current equivalent now?

(Question One altered as it appeared it may have been ambiguous as some didn't realise it was a question to be asked of us and not asked of the Port Vale poster..)
(Question Two altered as my intended irony of our lack of visits to what has been the Potteries better performing team may have been too subtle.. )

No disrespect and then you totally disrespect me and my club, classy! :)

I'm sooooooo sorry we are so much smaller than you and and for everytime we have insulted you by having the audacity to play you in the cup let alone the league which is of course despicable of us :)

I'm also equally sorry for Vale's role in signing Tevez and Mascherano which automatically lead to your team being relegated not just one league from your buddies at Old Trafford but an entire two leagues, surely we owe you £60 million a year since you left the promised land back in 2007. Who do I make the cheque payable to? :)

I'm also equally sorry you can't remember any of the cracking games we have played against each other in the last 20-30 years, maybe you choose to blank from your mind as of course of playing such tiny clubs is a blight on your rightful place as champions of England, Europe and of course the World. The World Club Championship was not the same without you this year :)

I'm not offended you can't remember any of our past of present players, they hardly roll off the tongue do they, those insignificant players such as the 'promised lands' very own Robbie Earle, Steve Guppy, Lee Mills, Robin Van Der Laan, Darren Beckford, Ian Taylor, Keith Houchen, Bernie Slaven, Anthony Gardner, Ian Brightwell, the evil Gareth Ainsworth and not forgetting the crap that was Ray Walker, Neil Aspin, Roy Sproson, Wilf Kirkham, Ray King, Dean Glover and your very own (free-scoring) Michael Brown :) So sorry I can't name any more, we are a tiny club so we have only had a tiny amount of players since our formation recently in 1876 as founder members of the second division.

Anyway no offence taken :)

Totally agree.

Anyway thanks everyone, always enjoy chatting to you guys.

Look out for some slightly different questions for my next article for our return fixture :)

Anyway thanks everyone, always enjoy chatting to you guys.

Look out for some slightly different questions for my next article for our return fixture :)

Don't be put off by stupid answers - my favourite threads on here are often when other teams supporters "come in peace" and a sensible conversation starts.

Could you possibly answer your own questions - but the other way round (if you see what I mean)? I'd be interested to know what you think.

Cheers.

E17Blade

P.S. Note that it is best not to joke about Ainsworth - a very sore topic for most of us

Don't be put off by stupid answers - my favourite threads on here are often when other teams supporters "come in peace" and a sensible conversation starts.

Could you possibly answer your own questions - but the other way round (if you see what I mean)? I'd be interested to know what you think.

Cheers.

E17Blade

P.S. Note that it is best not to joke about Ainsworth - a very sore topic for most of us

Certainly will, answers in next post.

Whats the problem with Gareth Ainsworth? I take it he upset you before or after he played for us?

Certainly will, answers in next post.

Whats the problem with Gareth Ainsworth? I take it he upset you before or after he played for us?

In 1997 (I think?) v Port Vale he in effect ended the career of Dane Whitehouse - total 100% SUFC legend - with an, erm ..... let's just say it was a shocking foul. No need to discuss here - it was a very dark moment - fair enough if you didn't know.

Went to my first game in 1983, fell asleep during it and have been hooked ever since! I've been everything from a Vice President through ST holder, Ballboy, Steward and mascot. Favourite player is Robbie Earle who I hugged as a ballboy just after my avatar photo was taken following our promotion in 1989.

Expected us to finish mid-table (11th to 14th) with second seeason syndrome kicking in although with some great signings pre-season and a good start hopes were raised that we could squaek into the play-offs. All that was killed after the six game losing streak which lead to super Micky Adams resigning. Page has come and and given us stability and we seem to be signing new players quicker than most people can breath. Hopefully we can realise top half again.

Chris Neal is one of two of the best goalkeepers Vale have had in my lifetime and certainly after the dross we have had in the last few years brings a sense of calm to the defence. He won an award at player of the season in the summer and we had conceded a hatful which says a lot about his quality! Michael O'Connor and Chris Lines, a quality midfield partnership who could form a brilliant three man midfield with the free scoring and ageless Michael Brown if they are all eventually given the chance. Aside from them Mark Marshall started the season on fire on the wing, reminiscent of his early days at Barnet but seems have gone off the boil a little recently. That '5 game a season wonder' Louis Dodds always seems to do ok against you guys too and ominously he made it back into the side last week!

Page has certainly improved us from our early season form. Response amongst the fans is still mixed with some fans bizarrley calling for his head when they saw his team selection against Crawley at the weekend, we subsequently won veery comfortably and there was a lot of humble pie being eaten. There are way too many signings to mention, think we now have a squad of 30+ as we are planning to bring through a number of disregarded ex highly rated youngsters.

Norman Smurthwaite (known as Smurf) is a diamond, especially after the rogues we have had to put up with between 2002-12. He initially joined as a silent partner of a businessman who was a Owls fan. He seemingly was just spending the chairmans money and invested in some non-football related contracts unwisely. The chairman has renoegitated most of these and has invested very heavily over the last two seasons in the playing squad including boosting the playing budget dramtically to £2.5 million. He does come out with the odd PR gaff and there is the odd fan who is and has always been against him (isn't that always the case) but its clear he cares and has ambition for the club.

6. Which one Blades player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?
Would have to be my mate Jags. His kid used to go to the same nursery as mine and hes such a down to earth decent guy. Equally he is a bliddy good defender and we have been missing one of those for a while!

7. How do you expect the Blades to do this season?
With a decent manager now at the helmI really expected you along with Preston and Bristol City to be challenging for the top two places. I'm sure as the season progresses this will come to fruition.

The 3-3 draw back in the 88/89 promtion season was real quality on a horrible night as was the return 0-0 when our current coach Dean Glover was magnificent in defence. The 2-1 Carling Cup win in 2009 when Ian Bennet dropped in a screamer from Marc Richards.

Over recent years you seem to have had a voodoo sign of us so I'm not expecting too much espcially without a real quality centre-forward but letting my heart rule my head I will go for 1-1.

In 1997 (I think?) v Port Vale he in effect ended the career of Dane Whitehouse - total 100% SUFC legend - with an, erm ..... let's just say it was a shocking foul. No need to discuss here - it was a very dark moment - fair enough if you didn't know.

Sorry to hear that. We hate Paul Robinson (currently of Brum) who destroyed one of our legends careers too for the same reason.

To REP, I am genuinely sorry as my post was sent in drink, after a few after works pints. Sorry!

It was not meant as a slight, however I can see how it looks in the cold sore light of day and I apologise.

My point is that I am really upset at some of the decision making that United have made (and obviously what the cheating CC did to us). Clearly, that isnt your fault and yes we do deserve to be wherever we are in the League. However, having been down to Division 4 with United and then seeing us in the Premiership so recently, it is so frustrating to be back down the leagues again.

And that is our fault, we have the support, infrastructure, Academy etc to be in a better position and yet cant seem to translate that to a higher position. In fact, we cant even push forward in this League. I repeat that is where we are and our fault and no body elses.

I do however stand by the fact that watching Sheffield FC on Boxing Day with a pint of Jaipur in my hand on the touchline will be a better way than struggling to get to Burslem, to watch us fail to score more than one goal and only have the delights of your canteen for refeshment at half time That is no slight on Vale it is more a reflection on United currently and of course, the alternative joys of Jaipur and being trusted to watch football with an ale in your hand. At Eight quid to get in I reckon I will have enough left over, compared with travel and entrance at Vale, to have a pretty good session, oh and hopefully abuse some pigs who may come to see Stocksbridge Park Steel!

Sorry once again, other than Ainsworth, no beef with Vale at all...

Last edited:

The 3-3 draw back in the 88/89 promtion season was real quality on a horrible night

Simon Mills (a Blade fan who played for Wendy) played very well for Vale that night. Think he scored at least once? One of your defenders tried a back pass to Mick Stowell but the quick thinking Deano got the touch to make it 3-3. That reminds me... why did you always play your midweek games on a Monday these days?

Back
Top Bottom