PNE Potted Report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JohnDenver

¡No Pasarán!
Reaction score
Both teams under-strength, United massively so, and it showed. It was a scruffy old game as a result, but both teams really wanted it and while PNE had more chances and probably more of the play, United played what little football there was on show.

We started with a 3-5-2 for which too few players were suited and too few properly understood. So PNE bossed most of the first half without showing too much quality themselves. Gallagher being the exception with a great free-kick (6/1 with Coral thank you!), though I suspect Howard shouldn't have been beaten.

About a quarter in, we switched to a 4-4-2, and slowly got a foothold. At the beginning of the second half we took some control, and Murphy's introduction made the difference, giving us a wide threat for the first time. He beat his man and
crossed for Diego to stick it into the roof of the net.

After the goal PNE pushed on again and whilst not pretty created most chances, often from set pieces. So all in all United will be happier with a draw - we looked tired at the end. Given a stronger XI we'll be favourites in the replay.

Howard 6/10 - Not too many saves to make, but will need to see the free kick again.
Alcock 5/10 - Started as left wing back and looked lost. Switched to left back and grew stronger.
Davies 5/10 - Looked rusty, but good to see him back.
Kennedy 7/10 - A defender's defender. Solid throughout.
Basham 7/10 - Was vital manning the pumps at the back and later in midfield against a big side, though his passing remains more suitable to deeper role.
HM2 6/10 - Looked very uncertain as the left sided central defender in a three, but really improved in an orthodox pairing.
Dimaio 5/10 - Was lost in the midfield at first, but got moved out wide (never his position), and applied himself.
Baxter 6/10 - The player who showed most quality on the ball.
Reed 6/10 - Good energy after the Spur game. Always looks to pass on the edge of the box - I'd like him to be greedy occasionally. Unlucky yellow, but he did jump into the tackle a little which refs don't like.
Diego 6/10 - Got the goal and had our other couple of notable efforts. Good to see him up top though he may lack the pace to succeed there. Looks at his best when rolling defenders and shooting.
Higdon 6/10 - Probably as well as he can play. Only had one chance from the best move of the match, but Simonsened it.

Subs:
Murphy 7/10 - Made a mahoosive difference. Set up the goal.
Harris - Not on long.
McNuts - Not on long.

Ref: not half as bad as some have made out. Needless argument with Clough, but think he got most things right. PNE didn't play the brutal game they did at BDTBL which helped. He probably should have booked one of theirs when Murphy was clogged. Reed was perhaps unlucky, and the other two were standard pull backs. Fair dos.

Still in the draw - I'm chuffed with that. :)

Both teams under-strength, United massively so, and it showed. It was a scruffy old game as a result, but both teams really wanted it and while PNE had more chances and probably more of the play, United played what little football there was on show.

We started with a 3-5-2 for which too few players were suited and too few properly understood. So PNE bossed most of the first half without showing too much quality themselves. Gallagher being the exception with a great free-kick (6/1 with Coral thank you!), though I suspect Howard shouldn't have been beaten.

About a quarter in, we switched to a 4-4-2, and slowly got a foothold. At the beginning of the second half we took some control, and Murphy's introduction made the difference, giving us a wide threat for the first time. He beat his man and
crossed for Diego to stick it into the roof of the net.

After the goal PNE pushed on again and whilst not pretty created most chances, often from set pieces. So all in all United will be happier with a draw - we looked tired at the end. Given a stronger XI we'll be favourites in the replay.

Howard 6/10 - Not too many saves to make, but will need to see the free kick again.
Alcock 5/10 - Started as left wing back and looked lost. Switched to left back and grew stronger.
Davies 5/10 - Looked rusty, but good to see him back.
Kennedy 7/10 - A defender's defender. Solid throughout.
Basham 7/10 - Was vital manning the pumps at the back and later in midfield against a big side, though his passing remains more suitable to deeper role.
HM2 6/10 - Looked very uncertain as the left sided central defender in a three, but really improved in an orthodox pairing.
Dimaio 5/10 - Was lost in the midfield at first, but got moved out wide (never his position), and applied himself.
Baxter 6/10 - The player who showed most quality on the ball.
Reed 6/10 - Good energy after the Spur game. Always looks to pass on the edge of the box - I'd like him to be greedy occasionally. Unlucky yellow, but he did jump into the tackle a little which refs don't like.
Diego 6/10 - Got the goal and had our other couple of notable efforts. Good to see him up top though he may lack the pace to succeed there. Looks at his best when rolling defenders and shooting.
Higdon 6/10 - Probably as well as he can play. Only had one chance from the best move of the match, but Simonsened it.

Subs:
Murphy 7/10 - Made a mahoosive difference. Set up the goal.
Harris - Not on long.
McNuts - Not on long.

Ref: not half as bad as some have made out. Needless argument with Clough, but think he got most things right. PNE didn't play the brutal game they did at BDTBL which helped. He probably should have booked one of theirs when Murphy was clogged. Reed was perhaps unlucky, and the other two were standard pull backs. Fair dos.

Still in the draw - I'm chuffed with that. :)

"Dimaio 5/10"....Generous John. Perhaps just not his day, but bloody awful.

:)

UTB

Baxter was an 8/10 for me, thought he was class at times and he supplied Murphy time and time again

Murphy 7/10 as you say, love the way he nudges the ball 'honestly' to the byline well away from the defender so he can wrap his foot around the ball to get his cross in. No thought of tempting the defender in to give away the pen, he just wants to cross the ball

Baxter was an 8/10 for me, thought he was class at times and he supplied Murphy time and time again

Murphy 7/10 as you say, love the way he nudges the ball 'honestly' to the byline well away from the defender so he can wrap his foot around the ball to get his cross in. No thought of tempting the defender in to give away the pen, he just wants to cross the ball
Not for me re Baxter. Undoubted quality on the ball at times, but at others just gave it away easily. Overall, he doesn't have nearly the engine to push us on, and I'd get rid, sadly.

UTB

It's probably generous, aye. But he was dealt a bad hand. How about "achieved steadiness from a beginning of complete anonymity"? :)
My problem wasn't that he lost the ball on just about every occassion, but the lack of effort to make it to the ball when he wasn't on it. Either that, or he's painfully slow.

UTB

Not for me re Baxter. Undoubted quality on the ball at times, but at others just gave it away easily. Overall, he doesn't have nearly the engine to push us on, and I'd get rid, sadly.

UTB
Thought two balls he played at the end were excellent, we just didn't have the runners ;)

An important omission from the report:

Went to the gents after the game and nearly suffocated due to someone releasing a weapons grade Mersey Trout. Staggered on towards the urinals, only to see the culprit emerge from the traps looking positively refreshed. Jock Bryson, I salute you.

Went to the gents after the game and nearly suffocated due to someone releasing a weapons grade Mersey Trout. Staggered on towards the urinals, only to see the culprit emerge from the traps looking positively refreshed. Jock Bryson, I salute you.

In our end? Good lad!

UTB

It was all going so well till you mentioned the ref not being as bad as some suggested. Too many stop starts and things missed. Penalty at the end when their player virtually caught the ball. stopped us from taking a quick free kick because he wanted a word with their fowler. Then 30 secs later booked Basham? for less. Can you also tell me what he said to Clough when he retrieved the ball quickly so we could take the throw quickly. Was it because he was doing a ball boy out of a job?

Both teams under strength? Preston started with 8 of the team who started at BDTBL a couple of weeks ago.

I wonder why Adams and Kieran Wallace weren't involved yesterday.

It was all going so well till you mentioned the ref not being as bad as some suggested. Too many stop starts and things missed. Penalty at the end when their player virtually caught the ball. stopped us from taking a quick free kick because he wanted a word with their fowler. Then 30 secs later booked Basham? for less. Can you also tell me what he said to Clough when he retrieved the ball quickly so we could take the throw quickly. Was it because he was doing a ball boy out of a job?
Yep, definite penalty that was.

UTB

Lets be controversial then. I thought Higdon played well. Yes he should have done better with one shot, I put it down to not playing enough. He held the ball up, was strong and until Murphy came on had very little service. Maybe we should just get off his back a bit.

It's not controversial though - it's only controversial to some of our fans on here who seem to want to belittle certain players and put them into a scapegoat box.
Higdon hasn't helped his own cause by not giving/appearing to give 100% in certain games, but the slagging off is just way OTT at times.

I recall early doors some slagging Basham and Mcnulty got - it is no surprise now that the detractors have finally seen their own folly.

I just question who is next in the slagging off box.

UTB

I couldn't see the penalty shout from my view point.

The Clough ticking off followed a foul throw being given against Davies for stealing yardage (which he did), so the next throw in Davies got, Clough jumped out and extravagantly pointed to the exact spot Davies should take the throw from.

I thought that was quite funny, if a bit childish. But the ref offence. My only complaint is he should have waved Clough away and got on with it. But he went for a prolonged lecture.

Highlights here:

The highlight for me is the bearded Sikh celebrating down at the front with his PNE flag.

He was there last season too, he took some stick for his orange turban and he obviously took that to heart and this time it was a white one.

He sits all on his own constantly waving his banner and what really tickled me was the cardboard cut out tin foil covered FA Cup on the seat next to him, which he leaves behind when he runs down to join in the celebrations.

The magic of the cup indeed :)

The highlight for me is the bearded Sikh celebrating down at the front with his PNE flag.

He was there last season too, he took some stick for his orange turban and he obviously took that to heart and this time it was a white one.

He sits all on his own constantly waving his banner and what really tickled me was the cardboard cut out tin foil covered FA Cup on the seat next to him, which he leaves behind when he runs down to join in the celebrations.

The magic of the cup indeed :)

As an aside, I once went to a PNE v Blackpool game and the usual banter was flowing. 'You can stick your f****n tower up your arse' from the PNE fans to which Blackpool's response was 'I'd rather have a tower than a mosque'.

I hope you didn't shake hands with him

I couldn't see the penalty shout from my view point.

The Clough ticking off followed a foul throw being given against Davies for stealing yardage (which he did), so the next throw in Davies got, Clough jumped out and extravagantly pointed to the exact spot Davies should take the throw from.

I thought that was quite funny, if a bit childish. But the ref offence. My only complaint is he should have waved Clough away and got on with it. But he went for a prolonged lecture.
Yes the ref did penalise us for taking the throw in from the wrong place but then a minute later the ref or the linesman did not spot their player taking the throw whilst having one foot in front of the line. He was so inconsistent it was unbelievable. Their fans even thought they were hard done to.

Thought he was extremely poor at the start but settled down after 20 minutes or so. Not his day at all and very, very unlike him.
Doesn't help playing him out wide when he's never played that position. But still the lad got a run out just needs a few more to get his confidence up

UTB

"It's not you José.......its me.......

Doesn't help playing him out wide when he's never played that position. But still the lad got a run out just needs a few more to get his confidence up

Well, that's all that matters then. Never mind results, never mind points. Just make sure all the kids get a prolonged run in the team. Sorry to inconvenience them by not playing exactly where they want. Who can blame them for playing shite, eh?

I'm not happy with forcing them to travel by coach, either. Why not a fucking stretch limo complete with dancing girls and champagne?

Well, that's all that matters then. Never mind results, never mind points. Just make sure all the kids get a prolonged run in the team. Sorry to inconvenience them by not playing exactly where they want. Who can blame them for playing shite, eh?

I'm not happy with forcing them to travel by coach, either. Why not a fucking stretch limo complete with dancing girls and champagne?
I've no idea why you feel the need to have a dig at nearly everything I post pinchy but No I'm not bothered about points , results or how the team travel only thing I'm bothered about is the development of my son Connor Dimaio

I've no idea why you feel the need to have a dig at nearly everything I post pinchy but No I'm not bothered about points , results or how the team travel only thing I'm bothered about is the development of my son Connor Dimaio
If that is true I would suggest you are doing Connor or Diego no favours.

Back
Top Bottom