Playing with two strikers out of fashion?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
It looks like we will play with just one striker or play the false 9 system from the start of each match this season. If it is successful for us then I am happy. Germany won the World Cup despite having only one striker (Klose) in their 23 man squad and it seems many teams are copying Germany's system too. When in need of a goal in the 2nd half then teams would bring on one or two strikers from the bench in an effort to get the goal they need

It looks like we will play with just one striker or play the false 9 system from the start of each match this season. If it is successful for us then I am happy. Germany won the World Cup despite having only one striker (Klose) in their 23 man squad and it seems many teams are copying Germany's system too. When in need of a goal in the 2nd half then teams would bring on one or two strikers from the bench in an effort to get the goal they need

I continue to believe that unless you have EPL or international quality players this formation will not score you many goals. It is one of the main reasons I don't think we will go up.

I think Higdon played as a normal target man at Preston in both formations used that day. He got company from Murphy up front as Clough changed to 4-4-2, although our widely different wide midfielders (JCR and Doyle) meant it's shape was a bit strange.

I also think McNulty played as a "normal" striker at West Ham, where he looked to hold it up, link play and sometimes running in behind/down the channels, although as they had most of the possession he had to spend a lot of time and energy chasing and closing down their centre halves.

I continue to believe that unless you have EPL or international quality players this formation will not score you many goals. It is one of the main reasons I don't think we will go up.
If our players are better than the opposition in league one, then we should win more games than losing them. Wait and see

So far this season Man U are one of the few teams that start matches with more one striker. They are not doing well so far

So far this season Man U are one of the few teams that start matches with more one striker. They are not doing well so far

Two of the others are Man City and Liverpool. They're doing alright (Saturday's upset to Stoke aside)

Two of the others are Man City and Liverpool. They're doing alright (Saturday's upset to Stoke aside)
yes, they have plenty of money to buy a quality team to play in a formation with more than one striker up front from the start of the match. Chelsea have plenty of money too but not often start with more than one striker

Back
Top Bottom