Players Transformed Under New Managers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
This cropped up in relation to the CH issue one of the threads:

There's nothing quite like a change of manager to drastically alter the fortunes of individual players. Shaun Murphy was an error-ridden disaster before Warnock came in. Chris Morgan and Derek Geary looked all-over-the-place in a Bryan Robson defence. To think that this season's back 4 will be identical to last season's just based on the personnel seems to ignore this.

and I wondered:

Are there other examples of players who have been transformed - for better or worse - under new managers?

Jamie Murphy under Clough.
Michael Doyle under Clough.

On the flip side Kevin Blackwell brought the worst out of James Harper, Leon Britton and Dingle Howard. All good Championship players that were toss for United.

Billy Sharp also. He was poor under Blackwell and Robson but great for most other managers, especially Adkins

This cropped up in relation to the CH issue one of the threads:

and I wondered:

Are there other examples of players who have been transformed - for better or worse - under new managers?

Is this possible? I'm sure I once read somewhere that players are simply good enough or they aren't.:tumbleweed:

If I'm not careful I'm going get sound like a "clapper" - but Coutts isn't in the team yet so there's always that to fall back on ;).

Danny Wilson got the best we had seen out of a few players but that was possibly more to do with a drop in level.

Williamson, Doyle, Collins and Evans.

Mitch Ward. It looked like we'd signed an international right back when Kendall came in.

There were a few under Kendall, I remember going (I think) to Tranmere away, could have been Hitchinson's debut and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. John Gannon springs to mind from that game.

I particularly remember Gary Naysmith transforming from calamity under Robson to colossus under Blackwell.

Excellent example, and just what I'm talking about – he went from being a disaster that folk wanted rid of asap to one of our most reliable performers. Couldn't believe the turnaround at the time.

For Adkins.

Tune in to Sky Sports 5 toneet from 7-8 and 9-10 and transform a few of those buggers please !!

UTB.

Back
Top Bottom