Player power

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Neil smith

Reaction score
just a thought of my own on the present situation regarding possible signings......
We bid for a player but we can't afford the price tag ... because the selling club have placed an extra 100k on his head because it's us that's bid for him ... Then surely that is unsettling him if he wants to come ... So the player goes an gets on with it , nar all this the price goes up because it's us that's bid for him is bollox I think , yeah the player himself mite ask for a few more pennies in his wages which is upto us to negotiate with the player. And if we decide his wage demands are silly then we move on . When you see everyday other teams doing business with league rivals from above and below ... I mean why would Barcelona sell a top top goalkeeper to man city same as any other deal because the player has a valuation and the player wants to leave we are no different !! UTB

Technically, the player may not even be aware of the details of the bid.
They may be aware of the interest and that's it. Not supposed to discuss terms until fees agreed, though agents might go fishing I suppose.

just a thought of my own on the present situation regarding possible signings......
We bid for a player but we can't afford the price tag ... because the selling club have placed an extra 100k on his head because it's us that's bid for him ... Then surely that is unsettling him if he wants to come ... So the player goes an gets on with it , nar all this the price goes up because it's us that's bid for him is bollox I think , yeah the player himself mite ask for a few more pennies in his wages which is upto us to negotiate with the player. And if we decide his wage demands are silly then we move on . When you see everyday other teams doing business with league rivals from above and below ... I mean why would Barcelona sell a top top goalkeeper to man city same as any other deal because the player has a valuation and the player wants to leave we are no different !! UTB

I think the players being unsettled is BS we use when we want to take the money but try and keep fans onside... "he wanted to play at a higher level etc" I think that's why we never see players refusing to play to come here from "smaller" clubs in L1 and the likes

I reckon 90% of the players are good pros that might fancy a move but will still play if it doesn't happen. I don't believe the likes of Che or Harry would have downed tools, they would know they'd get a move eventually or we might get promotion. I cant really blame harry for wanting to go, best defender in the league by a country mile - was only fair on his career he went.

You get the odd arsehole who will agitate for a move / go on strike but are they really the ones you want at your club with no loyalty??

Maybe our manager (being a fan) can't believe anybody would turn down an opportunity to play for United and in reality we are just another league 1 team.
Spot on 8. I think we are all starting to realise our plight when Rovveram, Barnsley, Fleetwood, Burton et al have better pulling power than us.
First worrying thing is last time we dipped into D4 our name still had pulling power unlike today where its the GBP that has loyalty and attraction.
Second worrying thing relates to your post, I don't thing McCabe Princess arse wipe, CW and the rest have cottoned on to that yet, they are still stary eyed about our history, PL ground and crowds etc and haven't smelt the coffee yet.
One morning when McCabe pulls back the silk sheets he's gonna realise he's a big part of the problem. Good business man, loyal fan and crap football club owner. Results prove that.

Chris Wilder just succumbed to flattery. Now he can repent at leisure - well 'till Christmas anyway.
UTB

Technically, the player may not even be aware of the details of the bid.
They may be aware of the interest and that's it. Not supposed to discuss terms until fees agreed, though agents might go fishing I suppose.

In modern day football most players will know about the bid before it's actually made!

If the owning club is stable financially and would like to keep the players we want, then it's going to cost a lot of money for them to sell. The likes of Craig Morgan and Byron Webster are first choice players at their clubs and it's a poor time to go after them. Of course they'll be reluctant to sell unless we offer silly money. A market price bid would only see them take over our problems in lacking a centre half.

It's different if the club is struggling with a wage bill that is too high (like us) or if the individual player is on a far too high wage for his level (like Clarke at Bury, and Brayford), then the fee would be lower.

Webster proved his ability at Yeovil, then moved on to Millwall (then in the Championship) where he struggled to get into the team. He went back to Yeovil on loan in February 2015, so that would probably have been a chance to sign him. Another chance would have been this summer, before he signed his new contract.

I think this shows that decent players will become available at certain times, but we need to be aware of them and their situation, and we need to have the funds ready when the chance is there. I hope our management team will be a long term and stable one, which will allow us to keep track of good players and act when we get the chance, gradually improving the squad without overspending. It does feel that we're too often wasting time pursuing targets that are just unrealistic at the time.

Excellent summary Bergen. It feels at the moment we're shopping for Christmas presents at 5pm on Christmas Eve. It's unlikely we'll get what we want or that it will be appreciated.
There is a feeling of desperation and I'd rather us buy no one and get on with what we have . A good manager would get the best out of what he's got. We ought to be going up,we ought to be better, we ought to be beating everyone in the league, but we're not good enough and throwing money around now won't help.
Don't give up on promotion but reduce the stress. Tell Wilder to do his best and entertain the fans, bring some of the young lads on and build for the future.

Back
Top Bottom