Phipps & Baki on BladesPlayer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

stringjunior

A Stringer original
Reaction score
D'yall see this?

The full version on Player is nearly 10 minutes. In brief:

- The list of players we've been after is no different now to last summer, it's just that the deals couldn't be done in the summer.
- COG negotiations are at an advanced stage
- We have a large squad but that is intentional and we'll need it for the run in. The difference between 7th and 6th last season may have simply been tired legs
- Phipps and Baki's beards are looking splendid.
- Both seem to have genuine desire to see the blades succeed

UTB

They both speak very highly of the club and seem passionate about bringing success to our club. I think the board is now starting to realise its not easy to just get out of this league on the cheap, the league is getting better every year and we must spend money to be successful.

the league is getting better every year

Not if you believe everyone on here. Lost count of the times "shit league" is endlessly trawled up.

Mind you, that was the description of Division two after we'd been in it for a few seasons, oh how they must have been glad to see the back of it!.

It is shit ,if we had made a few quality signings like this preseason we would be promoted now

It is shit

It's not though is it? It's just that we don't think we should be down here and it hurts that we are.
As I alluded to in post 3, it was generally thought Div2 was shite after we'd been in it for a while, and I've no doubt, if we were in Div1 and bobbing about just above the drop zone for a number of season's that would be shite too and we'd be wanting to spend to get us into Europe.

In general league football is dull as shit for the most part. If you can. hand on heart, say you've really enjoyed half a dozen games in a normal season you'd be pushing it. As btl is often keen to point out, even in a promotion style season there aren't 40 games you thought were fucking amazing. It's just the nature of the beast.
If you list your twenty greatest games how many will be "run of the mill" league fixtures (i.e. not derby wins, play-off games, last day promotion clinchers)? I'll tell you mine, in 50+ years, it's a 5-0 vs Arse and a 5-1 vs Cardiff that was all but a promotion clincher.

Week in, week out League football is just something you endure so that when the special moments come along you can appreciate them for what they are.

Doesn't change the fact that if the deals had been done in the summer we would not be 7th does it ?

You can always go after different targets offer more money or explore other options

You make it sound like phippsy and Co knew if they waited till Jan they would definitely get their man which is wishful thinking and is the kind of leaving things to chance that winds me up about the blades

As for this division not being shit I'm sorry but it is and there is no outstanding team in it
I don't think we shouldn't be down here I started watching us when we were in div 4
and don't care what division we are in but I do care Wether we are shit or not and this season so far we've been shit and still managed to hover around top 6

Baki scares the crap out of me, seems a proper football fan though as well as a business man so I can't help but like him.
Phipps is the complete opposite but is just as awesome

Which game does Jim think would have given us 8 points if we'd won? We should have tried harder to win that one!

After the weekend isn't it the Premier League that's the "shit league" - certainly is in the value/ wages equation.

Doesn't change the fact that if the deals had been done in the summer we would not be 7th does it ?

You can always go after different targets offer more money or explore other options

You make it sound like phippsy and Co knew if they waited till Jan they would definitely get their man which is wishful thinking and is the kind of leaving things to chance that winds me up about the blades

As for this division not being shit I'm sorry but it is and there is no outstanding team in it
I don't think we shouldn't be down here I started watching us when we were in div 4
and don't care what division we are in but I do care Wether we are shit or not and this season so far we've been shit and still managed to hover around top 6

Have you ever bid on something you REALLY want on ebay, entered your maximum bid, been outbid and had to walk away because it wasn't a good enough price to you anymore. Or been the winning bidder only to then told the item is no longer available?

Building a football team is much much more complex than this. You know that Judge, right?

Have you ever bid on something you REALLY want on ebay, entered your maximum bid, been outbid and had to walk away because it wasn't a good enough price to you anymore. Or been the winning bidder only to then told the item is no longer available?

Building a football team is much much more complex than this. You know that Judge, right?
Actually no I dont im not a football manager or director are you
The thing is here that you are drawing me I to an argument with you I really dont want , I simply said that if we had signed two or three quality players pre season we would be doing better in the league , do you disagree with that string junior?

Your analogy is terrible by the way , building a team bears no quantifiable resemblance to bidding for shit on ebay you know that dont you string jr ?

we made offers for players , that were turned down , its something theres no answer to , could go on and sign other players that arent what we were looking for , its not really an alternative

Actually no I dont im not a football manager or director are you........

....... building a team bears no quantifiable resemblance to bidding for shit on ebay...

It seems you're a little confused Judge

Anyway, I've bid for shit on eBay and I've bid for businesses, and actually the principles are exactly the same. You know what you want, you know what you are prepared to pay, other people and situations get involved to muddy the water, you work through those, and you're either successful with your bid or you're not. And if you're not successful you look at what else is available. If an alternative fits the original criteria you may change your target. If the alternatives don't fit the criteria you move on. Or you change your criteria. eBay, businesses or footballers ...

I think in the case of SUFC when our targets weren't available in the summer we may or may not have decided to look elsewhere - we'll never know, as blade too long rightly says. So the club revisited the original targets at the next window, and we ended up with the Beard. So that's all good then.

An excellent touché by the way.

What last weekend showed is you can't take lower league clubs for granted like you could 10-20 years ago

There's a case to say that League 1 isn't a "shit league". Certainly there don't appear to be many "gift points" around like there were when we first came down there this time. I've always put that down to us being worse than we were ( which we are in the league but certainly not in the cup).

Maybe the overall standard has improved without us realising it. Seriously, the Premier League is worse than it was, certainly no better. The lack of contact, the cheating diseases, tippy tappy possession football, have all contributed to a deterioration in my view.

1. This league is the weakest it has been since we fell into it. No Charlton or Wolves or Leeds or Wednesday etc

2. You have to wonder if we have a scouting network if we're after exactly the same players we were in summer. You would think a manager would have lists of options

Back
Top Bottom