Personal abuse aimed at managers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dkc

Reaction score
It's not unique to "Negative Nigel". It goes back to "Alkie" Kendall, "Colin Wanker" Warnock, "Alehouse" Adams, "Piggy" Wilson and all the abuse under the sun aimed at Kevin Blackwell.

Do we really need to abuse our managers in such a manner when results aren't going our way (and sometimes when they are)? Do other football fans do this? It's one of the things that makes me embarrassed to be a Blade

It's not unique to "Negative Nigel". It goes back to "Alkie" Kendall, "Colin Wanker" Warnock, "Alehouse" Adams, "Piggy" Wilson and all the abuse under the sun aimed at Kevin Blackwell.

Do we really need to abuse our managers in such a manner when results aren't going our way (and sometimes when they are)? Do other football fans do this? It's one of the things that makes me embarrassed to be a Blade

Man u flew a plane over Old Trafford in protest of moyes
Abuse hurled at Nigel Pearson by Leicester City fans
Newcastle fans against Pardew

my point nearly all football fans will turn on a manager when things are not going to plan or performances are frustrating, not just us.

If you're ever embarrassed to be a Blade then sorry, you aren't a Blade.

Said the same thing the other week, never understood it.

I remember a time when we used to make up names / sing songs about Pig managers (Atkinson, Pleat, Yorath, Shreeves). Our fans don't bother about their's anymore, just give abuse to our own. I reckon Stuart Grey gets more respect than Clough!

Come on tough guy, I haven't got all night.........where's the quote?
As you well know sunshine on Saturday afternoon you posted in the Shout box that you were glad that you lived 5000 miles away, that you were glad no one knew who Sheffield United were and that you were embarrassed to be a Blade. It struck me at the time that it was an odd thing to say.

As you well know sunshine on Saturday afternoon you posted in the Shout box that you were glad that you lived 5000 miles away, that you were glad no one knew who Sheffield United were and that you were embarrassed to be a Blade. It struck me at the time that it was an odd thing to say.

Nah, you just made that up. Only thing embarassing about my club is having jokers like you latching on to it. You'll have to do better than that sunshine, a very poor effort.

I don't really think you can call "negative Nigel" abuse, he is negative it's a fact, it's his style of play by looks. The way he sees it keep things tight and you're always in the game unfortunately on most occasions he leaves it to late to go for the win.

Tuesday night was one of these rare occasions when we won by a big score line however on another night that could have been 1 or 2 nil yes we dominated but those pens could have not been given and that lucky shot might have missed. We had 9 shots in the whole game not out and out attack imo. Dont get me wrong i'm not being negative about the 4-0 win its just not Nigel's style to just attack from the word go.

It is abuse and the people that abuse him, quite ironically, actually happen to be stupid.

It is abuse and the people that abuse him, quite ironically, actually happen to be stupid.

You are not exactly Einstein yourself judging from that post.

Managers get abuse - it comes with the job. I doubt Clough hears it as he is too busy shouting abuse at his own players.

The level of personal abuse, and the levels of aggression and spite levelled at managers, and players, and board members, is part of football culture in this country.

So much of it is hateful, and I suspect a lot of it might be libellous or slanderous in law. It goes from the very top all the way down to grassroots. And all the way down to the very youngest levels of grassroots, as anyone with kids playing sunday league will know. The appalling crap I witness most sundays watching my lad play, and the appalling crap I've witnessed from parents and "supporters" since he was 6, is almost exactly the same as the appalling crap to be found in most football grounds and fans' forums.

This tone, and the tolerance of it, is set by followers of the professional game. ie, it is set by us. Or at least, by some of us. Somehow, and god knows how or why, football in this country has become an area of our social life where this is an acceptable way to behave. It is profoundly wrong.

Never embarrassed to be a Blade. Often embarrassed to identify myself as a follower of football.

The level of personal abuse, and the levels of aggression and spite levelled at managers, and players, and board members, is part of football culture in this country.

So much of it is hateful, and I suspect a lot of it might be libellous or slanderous in law. It goes from the very top all the way down to grassroots. And all the way down to the very youngest levels of grassroots, as anyone with kids playing sunday league will know. The appalling crap I witness most sundays watching my lad play, and the appalling crap I've witnessed from parents and "supporters" since he was 6, is almost exactly the same as the appalling crap to be found in most football grounds and fans' forums.

This tone, and the tolerance of it, is set by followers of the professional game. ie, it is set by us. Or at least, by some of us. Somehow, and god knows how or why, football in this country has become an area of our social life where this is an acceptable way to behave. It is profoundly wrong.

Never embarrassed to be a Blade. Often embarrassed to identify myself as a follower of football.
Excellent Post.

UTB

Short answer to 'do others do it' is yes, without exception!

Nah, you just made that up. Only thing embarassing about my club is having jokers like you latching on to it. You'll have to do better than that sunshine, a very poor effort.
Will you stop flip flopping all over the place.....

149a91bfeba1ed192a1071a04f4b1c4beb2e75ea3841c71099c0c675011f7d81.jpg

You are not exactly Einstein yourself judging from that post.

Managers get abuse - it comes with the job. I doubt Clough hears it as he is too busy shouting abuse at his own players.
The fact that managers get abuse doesn't make it right. The level of abuse they get is not acceptable. They work in the entertainment industry, not terrorism. Anyone that think it's acceptable to level at any football manager the kind of bile Nigel Clough receives from some of our so called supporters has something wrong with them. Ludicrous

Ya dkc its par for the course all managers get it ferguson was one match away from the sack at Man utd ,i think it was
Mark Robins who scored the winning goal not sure who it was against( Everton ?) but it was well documented at the time
he was getting some awful abuse just as David Moyes was getting last season but in Furgusons case it was before social media really kicked in.There is now of course many differant ways to get your feelings across and managers ,players and
directors cannot hyde from idiots who go over the top and abuse them. Clough will have experienced it before but does
respond with some of his comments ,privately he probably thinks they are arsoles
Consructive critism is fine but some people cant wait to get on there backs,every manager we have had and every club will be the same gets critised its how it is and if sensible critism they would be fools not to take some of it on board.
Clough does come across as a bit arrogant but there,s no way he will accept people telling him how to do is job and as a professional and we as fans have to accept it.He knows more than anyone that it is a results driven business and failure ends in the sack,only the directors know what his mandate for this season is and much too our frustration it may be progress is what he
is expected to acheave and i would think playoffs are part of the mandate he has accepted,but to win them! no one can guarantee that.There,s no doubt he is under pressure ,he knows the score we have to beleave he will get the job done.

Saturday afternoon Shoutbox you said you were embarrassed to be a Blade. Make your mind up son!

Find me the quote, you're talking bollocks sunshine.

Come on tough guy, I haven't got all night.........where's the quote?

Maybe "embarrassed to be a Blade" is the wrong term, but it's commonly used in other contexts. After e.g. rioting abroad, some supporters say they're "embarrased to be seen as England fans". That doesn't mean they aren't. It means that they are ashamed to be associated with a group that brings shame on the rest of them.

It's quite often I'm appalled by the actions of other fans, sometimes even the club itself. I'm embarrased by people writing on our chairman's FB wall calling our manager a "clown" "idiot" "racist" and worse. But that doesn't mean that after nearly 40 years following my club home and away I'm suddenly "not a Blade".

Do you really think this just applies to our fans? The blame given to our fans is pathetic by some on this forum. Only last month didn't someone run on the pitch to have a go at Poyet at Sunderland. The other utter bollocks i've heard on here is the booing, the negative chants, atmosphere isn't helping. Fuck me, if this blades side turned up for a full 90mins this season, we would support our team louder and prouder than most. I for one won't be all nice and cheer like a seal for our players if they can't pass it 5 yards, go backwards almost naturally, and don't show attacking intent against teams we all deem 'piss poor'. I've seen 2 teams all season that have shown some quality and should threaten us for the top two. The other teams, can and should be out passed, bullied and out classed by SUFC...

Man u flew a plane over Old Trafford in protest of moyes
Abuse hurled at Nigel Pearson by Leicester City fans
Newcastle fans against Pardew

my point nearly all football fans will turn on a manager when things are not going to plan or performances are frustrating, not just us.

Nowt like a bit of truth anonymous, not that some will take it on board. We obviously have the worst fans in the world, we don't sing stupid retarded songs loudly enough and we don't hit that tarpaulin bit at the back of the kop hard enough either..................Jeezus, no wonder we never win owt.

Incidentally I was also wondering.................Do some of our fans feel it does any good to slag our own fans off and blame them for everything that they cannot possibly be to blame for rather than admit............WERE SHIT!!!!

Back
Top Bottom