Oxford Mail on Chris Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The three fingers against Di Canio is class though, just had a quick search but couldn't find it anywhere.

January 2014 I know but I hope he's sorted out some of the issues in this article

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1...is_Wilder_s_time_as_manager_of_Oxford_United/

I think a few points spring to mind. Firstly the article has a negative and critical bias against Wilder which we were warned about from Northampton fans. Admittedly because Wilder left Oxford for relegation threatened Northampton they naturally would be upset about the move, but he also did well for them. The point in the article about sliding on his knees to celebrate. What's wrong with that, and I bet they absolutely loved it at the time, that point alone makes the article seem very bitter. As for the football related stuff re Wilder. I'm sure Wilder make some mistakes etc, which manager doesn't, but he did well for them, getting them out of the conference is no mean feat, especially as Oxford, like ourselves, would be viewed as the big fish in that league and teams would raise their game to play them.

Wilder's described as ruthless in the article! That's exactly what we need at our place right now, in fact we've been crying out for no clean slate etc! Wilder's start at our place reminds me of Harry's at United and its very clear to see that Wilder takes much influence from Harry, and that's got to be a good thing. Finally, although this isn't mentioned in the article, but its something I noticed in Wilder's management record; when Wilder has partnered Alan Knill, either as Knill's assistant at Bury or at Northampton the record is superb. Wilder did well on his own prior to that at Halifax etc, but with Knill they have been unstoppable. This is particularly more relevant to Knill who's management success is patchy when alone and yet with Wilder at Bury they almost got promoted and Wilder left at Christmas in his only season at Bury to manage again himself at Oxford. I think we can assume we're in really safe hands with the two as a partnership. I just can't wait for the season, I think its going to be a really good one!

'It's May 2010 and Alfie Potter has just sealed Oxford's return to the Football League at a sodden national stadium in front of 35,000 United fans. How does Wilder celebrate? With a joyous knee-slide down the touchline worthy of any hyperactive child on a wedding-reception dancefloor.'

Fuck me! 35k non-League Oxford fans to Wembley. Makes Wendy's 200,000 look poor.

Sounded pretty admiring on the whole.

If he celebrated like that in getting Oxford up, WTF would he be like if he got us promoted?!

Maybe I should have been a bit more explicit and pointed out what issues I hope he has dealt with.

I agree that the rest of it sounds good but I have the same nagging doubt in my head that I did when Adams and Adkins were appointed.

At least his name isn't Nigel and second name doesn't begin with A.

I hope he is our messiah but .....

4. The signing of Ricky Sappleton

The first of a huge list of temporary strikers to have come and gone under Wilder, big-boned Sappleton came off the bench to score on his debut on New Year's Day 2009 then sank without trace. See also: Mehdi Kerrouche, Ryan Doble, Onome Sodje and Matthew Fletcher.

9. The loan signing of Rob Hall

Undoubtedly a talented player, Hall is notable for being arguably the only teenager to be given a proper run in the side by Wilder. Aaron Woodley, Matty Taylor, Alex Fisher, Tyrone Marsh, Callum O'Dowda and plenty of others have failed to get regular games, much to the frustration of some fans.

10. This season's home defeat to Scunthorpe

This season and last, United have won just 14 of their 38 home league games in front of dropping attendances. In a division devoid of a runaway leader, an average Scunthorpe team came away with a comfortable win, leaving some fans to ponder Wilder's inability to break down obstinate away sides in the four seasons since promotion.

'It's May 2010 and Alfie Potter has just sealed Oxford's return to the Football League at a sodden national stadium in front of 35,000 United fans. How does Wilder celebrate? With a joyous knee-slide down the touchline worthy of any hyperactive child on a wedding-reception dancefloor.'

Fuck me! 35k non-League Oxford fans to Wembley. Makes Wendy's 200,000 look poor.

I hope to see Wilder sliding about on his knees at Wembley celebrating.

Maybe I should have been a bit more explicit and pointed out what issues I hope he has dealt with.

I agree that the rest of it sounds good but I have the same nagging doubt in my head that I did when Adams and Adkins were appointed.

I hope he is our messiah

Thought it was a bonus that he was called, 'Chris'

;)

The first of a huge list of temporary strikers to have come and gone under Wilder, big-boned Sappleton came off the bench to score on his debut on New Year's Day 2009 then sank without trace. See also: Mehdi Kerrouche, Ryan Doble, Onome Sodje and Matthew Fletcher.

Undoubtedly a talented player, Hall is notable for being arguably the only teenager to be given a proper run in the side by Wilder. Aaron Woodley, Matty Taylor, Alex Fisher, Tyrone Marsh, Callum O'Dowda and plenty of others have failed to get regular games, much to the frustration of some fans.

This season and last, United have won just 14 of their 38 home league games in front of dropping attendances. In a division devoid of a runaway leader, an average Scunthorpe team came away with a comfortable win, leaving some fans to ponder Wilder's inability to break down obstinate away sides in the four seasons since promotion.

The Matty Taylor thing struck a chord with me. He's just had a fantastic season getting Bristol Rovers promoted yet was binned off after only 7 appearances for Oxford. Could it be the lad was a bit of an arse and has sorted himself out over time or did Wilder fail to see hos potential?

4. Slightly concerning but better than sticking with someone not good enough. Seems a bit Warnock-like but I don't know what budget Oxford had at the time and how well they could attract players.

9. Supporters always say we should play more youth players. I don't think we have anyone banging at the door right now, maybe in a year or so. I think he played a few younger players at Northampton, although not many teenagers.

10. Certainly likely to be a similar challenge at the Lane but didn't that turn out to be Scunny's promotion season? So maybe not so average. He didn't appear to have this problem at Northampton.

Generally I expect him to have learnt from his experiences at Oxford and Northampton and to be a better manager than he was when he took over Oxford, and better than when he took over Northampton. Of course, managing United is a much greater challenge than either of those clubs and it remains to be seen whether he can rise up to it. You can't expect him to be infallible.

4. Slightly concerning but better than sticking with someone not good enough. Seems a bit Warnock-like but I don't know what budget Oxford had at the time and how well they could attract players.

9. Supporters always say we should play more youth players. I don't think we have anyone banging at the door right now, maybe in a year or so. I think he played a few younger players at Northampton, although not many teenagers.

10. Certainly likely to be a similar challenge at the Lane but didn't that turn out to be Scunny's promotion season? So maybe not so average. He didn't appear to have this problem at Northampton.

Generally I expect him to have learnt from his experiences at Oxford and Northampton and to be a better manager than he was when he took over Oxford, and better than when he took over Northampton. Of course, managing United is a much greater challenge than either of those clubs and it remains to be seen whether he can rise up to it. You can't expect him to be infallible.

My concern exactly.

I just hope so much that he does

Interesting to chart the fate of those young players that Oxford fans were supposedly clamouring for...

First off, credit to him for getting Rob Hall in there on loan (from West Ham). I'd imagine it was a signing akin to us getting Matty Phillips in at the time.

As regards the five home-grown prospects mentioned, Matty Taylor's the one who's gone on to hit the headlines most, becoming a goal machine for Bristol Rovers this season. But, worth noting that he spent 5 years playing at non-league level (the first two for North Leigh in the Hellenic League) after getting released by Oxford.

Alex Fisher's an interesting one - playing lowly non-league at Brackley and Oxford City before joining Glenn Hoddle's academy in Spain. He then bounced around various lower level clubs in different countries in Europe before ending up with Inverness Caledonian Thistle (for whom he doesn't seem to have played much) this season.

Tyrone Marsh has played lower non-league football, before spells with Torquay and Dover (playing rarely) in the Conference this season.

Aaron Woodley's played for Abingdon, Banbury and North Leigh at Hellenic League level.

Perhaps the only "failure" on Wilder's part amongst these players is Callum O'Dowda, who's established himself at first team level for Oxford over the past two seasons. But, prior to that, Wilder did give him his debut and played him sparingly three seasons back, and who's to say that wasn't appropriate for the level of development he'd reached at that time?

I don't . We will get automatic promotion , not via the play offs , unless you mean winning the JPT.:D

Play offs?

Have we slumped so low that they get mentioned as a first thought?

100 points 100 goals, go kick some arse Wilder.

Aimed at others, not Lord

Last edited:

Undoubtedly a talented player, Hall is notable for being arguably the only teenager to be given a proper run in the side by Wilder
I'm absolutely delighted by this. It clearly shows if they are good enough they get in, but he's not interested in gambling on young player development over the success of the club.

I like him more every day.

UTB

I hope to see Wilder sliding about on his knees at Wembley celebrating.

I would love it and I mean absolutely love it, if he was some Wembley pundit.. The pigs get battered and young Chris slides from the half way line all the way to the sty end on his knees and pumps everything he can to gloat over the pink faced snout nosed curly tailed lost pork failure....

I know I shouldn't but I really really want Hull to sort em...

Back
Top Bottom