Over Reaction and a neutrals view

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony Currie

Reaction score
I couldn't believe the reaction on Radio Sheffield after the Crewe match. Do these people understand football. I attended with a friend over from Liverpool who's also done a fair bit of coaching.

His opinion :-

1) Thought we would over run Crewe after first 20 minutes.
2) Thought Crewe worked really hard closing United down.
3) Thought we played everything down the left (Flynn went off at half time!)
4) Thought the Crewe goal came from nowhere but was an excellent match winner
5) Said overall United look more composed and better footballers than Crewe
6) Thought 1-1 would have been a fairer result.

I couldn't believe the reaction on Radio Sheffield after the Crewe match. Do these people understand football. I attended with a friend over from Liverpool who's also done a fair bit of coaching.

Thought and if only are all the same:D

UTB

I agree with 5), which is where a lot of the frustration seems to stem from. Matches are often decided on fine balances and little between teams (maybe more so the lower down the football league you go) but I think the general consensus is we've thrown away too many points from situations where we had the upper hand and made mistakes, or there have been apparently negative tactical choices.

That said, we've also come up against plenty of 2) in this here division which always scuppers best laid plans...

Do these people understand football.

"These people" have been putting up with that absolute shit most of the season.

Im not for sacking Clough but for fuck sake do not try and defend that performance.

Other than the sensationalised comments about leaving at half time the reaction did not surprise me and yes I think most blades fans do understand football.
It was a really poor performance against another poor team. The same team that smashed scunny and played so well and positively looked tired and devoid of ideas. The substitutions didn't work at all either . So I think frustration of such an abject performance , worry that we are in danger of losing grip on the play offs , a concern that the loss puts pressure on the Barnsley game etc etc just boiled over into the phone in .
I agree sometimes it's hard to listen to and some fans do come across poorly but overall as I say I wasn't shocked.
God knows what will happen if by Tuesday night at 9.45 we have not got any more points .. And that's not me being negative before someone says it .. If we play with tempo we can get results but if we don't I fear we might struggle .

In response to his opinion imo:

1) unfortunately we didn't though
2) agreed
3) agreed
4) agreed
5) should bloody hope so
6) fairer result perhaps, but still a poor one

What were their thoughts on the previous 38 games? :)

That's the problem with neutrals. Their emotional detachment provides a thoroughly distorted view of events.

Dead right, and the world is full of people that don't know any different when it comes to making comments.
These will be the same sort of people that are wondering why only 13,000 are turning up next year, they fail to see the actual point.

That's the problem with neutrals. Their emotional detachment provides a thoroughly distorted view of events.

Dead right, and the world is full of people that don't know any different when it comes to making comments.
These will be the same sort of people that are wondering why only 13,000 are turning up next year, they fail to see the actual point.

I'm guessing one of those J's stands for jibberish? :)

"These people" have been putting up with that absolute shit most of the season.

Im not for sacking Clough but for fuck sake do not try and defend that performance.

Being a pro Clough , the thing is , you cannot defend the indefensible , when it comes to the seasons overall performances. . Also we just cannot defend for a load of obvious reasons . Whether Clough stays or goes will depend on the ultimate success or not of this season , which will be the boards decision , with fans discontent being taken into account . Whether or not we even stay in the play offs , never mind winning them , will IMO go to the wire,

The last game of the season could be a make or break situation , and lets hope its a leicester away , not Walsall at home , thinking of the past .

UTB

In post match reflection from Clough he points out that points lost late on against Crewe and Peterborough would make a lot of difference to today's league table and that is true. He said something like "that might sound negative but it's the reality" What is more relevant however is how many points we have not gained in matches at home by being set up cautiously and not getting enough men forward to score goals and win games.

4-5-1 at home against teams from the bottom two thirds of the league gives them a life line when they match it up. We never get behind them. All they have to do is double up on Murphy and crowd out the lone striker. The lack of urgency to win games gives the opposition encouragement and then when we defend badly DESPITE playing 4-5-1, well, we get the worst of both worlds. And let's be right, 4-4-2 is not a risky formation, far from it.

All that is reinforced by cautious substitutions:

Last Saturday Davies for Flynn. I would have much preferred Campbell- Ryce!:mad:;) Why not bring Done on and go 4-4-2?

74th minute - too late. Doyle for Baxter - why not Adams with Holt dropping a bit deeper? So Coutts could push up -don't make me laugh ! Why doesn't Adams get playing time - he has strength, pace and scores goals - just what's needed late on against tiring opposition.

Done for Davies - oh don't lets play them up front together - heaven forbid !!

Clough is a like for like substituter - always was probably and always will be. He also clings on to a point rather than go to win games - always did and always will.

Crewe's goal difference was minus 36 before last Saturday. They had just lost their last three games. Of course we had the better players and deserved a point but that's difficult when their keeper hardly made a save of note and when we could have gone in at half time 3-0 down because Crewe spurned two other great chances.

As said above our attitude has developed over many many appalling games. Over-reaction? We've had the patience of saints FFS. We've been willing the manager to be our Messiah with all our hearts.

Last edited:

1) Thought we would over run Crewe after first 20 minutes. (he thought wrong then)
2) Thought Crewe worked really hard closing United down. (and so they should, as any pro side should be expected to do)
3) Thought we played everything down the left (Flynn went off at half time!) (poor tactical decisions made perhaps?)
5) Said overall United look more composed and better footballers than Crewe (Looking the part doesn't necessarily win you games.)
6) Thought 1-1 would have been a fairer result. (but it wasn't 1-1 was it?)

"Do these people understand football?" Don't you think that could be seen as a slightly patronising comment? Supporters are basing their opinions not just on the one game, but on the season as a whole unlike your mate's above comments TC

In fact, your mates comments could be construed as a sad indictment of how poor we are

His opinion :- IF he attended more games

1) Thought we would over run X after first 20 minutes.
2) Thought X worked really hard closing United down.
3) Thought we played everything down the left (player went off at half time!)
4) Thought the X goal came from nowhere but was an excellent match winner
5) Said overall United look more composed and better footballers than X

Replace X with any number of teams this year

Fixed it for ya

Therein lies the trouble

So they did well to close us down and still managed to pop up with the winner. Where is the team that earlier in the season would have turned this on our favour. I can't imagine they are tired, so where has the belief gone? Genuine question. This is probably more concerning than the other points

I'm tired of being told its an overreaction everytime we lose to some side we have a far superior budget, wage bill and set up than they do. If its not that its the " we're here on merit" line. Yes we are, but should we not be pounding Crewe at home, who were on truly awful form? Or bastard Fleetwood?

Lord Bos of Eckington.

Agree mate it probably will come down to last game of the season.

Please don't take the fact I'm against sacking Clough, as that I'm "pro Clough" its just personally i think let the man finish his task.

If we finish him early and we still fail to get promoted it will always be a "what if?" Situation. Looking back wondering if Cloughy could have done it. Give him till the very end he fails, no doubt about it get rid.

Back
Top Bottom