Outgoings this week

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ricky

Banned
Reaction score
It's been repeated that we want to bring four or five players in but surely at least one or two of those are dependent on outgoings? Even if not, the quality of any signings could be affected by them.

Coutts was possibly on his way out but I think Wilder will be having second thoughts, and rightly so IMO. We should be looking to sacrifice other players before him.

But who should we look to move out?

I'd say without any hesitation James Wallace permanently (Fleetwood?) and Reed on loan. That should free up at least 5k p/w, enough for a loan signing.

After that it gets harder...

Long - permanent/loan - if someone offers decent money, sell. If not, try and find him a loan move.
McNulty - permanent - would rather keep him but it doesn't look like he's going to get games and he's in the last year of his contract. If we sign Lavery I'd keep him though - they had a good partnership at Pompey.
Done - permanent - good option to have but if Lavery signs that might push him down the pecking order. Will probably be on wages he's not worth - Clough signed him.
Scougall - permanent - last year of his contract, unlikely to be a regular, hasn't been consistent enough, his stature holds him back, he would have takers, could sacrifice him to get a better midfielder.
Coutts - permanent - on high wages but he's our best technical player and we should make use of him.
DCL - permanent - could no doubt get a bit of money for him but for me it's a total non starter.

Ideally I'd get rid of Wallace and loan out Reed and Long. That should enable us to sign Morgan, a quality, possibly more expensive central midfielder and Lavery. Anything after that, such as a left back on loan, would be a bonus but with those outgoings should be possible.

I just hope we don't have to sacrifice anybody we don't want to, we shouldn't have to after losing Adams and Brayford.
For once United, add quality to quality and don't unnecessarily restrict yourselves.

James Wallace is a piss-taking hypochondriac and should be jettisoned as soon as possible.

Personally I see little benefit in having Basham here. He has nowhere near the presence that his size would suggest, gets bullied easily and is slow and cumbersome on the ball. He's a bit like a midfield Conor Sammon in some respects.

I would add that in no circumstances should we let Scougall go. He has consistently been one of our better performers since he came back into the fold. And if you're good enough then you're big enough.

Done, Scougall and Coutts threw a spanner in the works by being three of our best performers in our only win.

Macnulty is off that's almost a cert , I can't see anyone taking Long as a first choice keeper much above Conference level. Reed hasn't kicked on so may look for something new, Wallace is third choice left back so similar to Reed.

Still have a nagging fear Sharp may be sacrificed to make the Clarke transfer work.

i'd personally give mcnulty a go but if hes only going to be a back up we may aswell sell him whilst we can.

A loan move for long , or if a half decent offer comes id sell.

Id take the chance of selling coutts if the savings would be invested in a decent midfielder.

In truth theres not many id be fussed about leaving if it means there replaced with key signings.

Thought you meant outgoings as in money spent on transfers Ricky well that will be£0.What we have already saved in wages and received in transfer fees (that wasn't obviously budgeted for) should be more than enough for 3 to 4 quality signings.Of the players mentioned Long needs a fresh start, McNulty not going to get a look in, Wallace because of the interest although he could start LB would be my 3. Coutts was much better Saturday but I just see him as a show pony so not bothered either way with him.

Hussey for me. A gamble which hasn't paid off. Doesn't matter how good his left foot is if he can't defend. We need better.

Done, Scougall and Coutts threw a spanner in the works by being three of our best performers in our only win.

Macnulty is off that's almost a cert , I can't see anyone taking Long as a first choice keeper much above Conference level. Reed hasn't kicked on so may look for something new, Wallace is third choice left back so similar to Reed.

Still have a nagging fear Sharp may be sacrificed to make the Clarke transfer work.

And this is the concern. How many times does it happen?

Scougall - not good enough. We know he isn't good enough. He has had enough chances and he proves consistently that, despite an amicable work rate, he has no end product in terms of goals and assists.

Done - not good enough. He played ok against Oxford, but again, has he looked a player to you that would start in a promotion winning side? Not for me. Perhaps more justified than Scougall, in as much as he has proven he can be decent at this level, but still needs a replacement.

Coutts - well. I've never really understood the slagging off he gets, always thought he is a tidy footballer. However, he won't be able to succeed next to Basham. Needs a new partner.

There should be no 'spanners in the work'. We know who's is good enough (which is just about Sharp with question marks over some others) and we know who definitely needs replacing (Long, Hussey, Basham, Scougall, Done) and nothing should detract from this based on a 2-1 win at home to Oxford. We need to be ruthless and improve in nearly every area of the field to mount a serious promotion push IMO.

It's been repeated that we want to bring four or five players in but surely at least one or two of those are dependent on outgoings? Even if not, the quality of any signings could be affected by them.

Coutts was possibly on his way out but I think Wilder will be having second thoughts, and rightly so IMO. We should be looking to sacrifice other players before him.

But who should we look to move out?

I'd say without any hesitation James Wallace permanently (Fleetwood?) and Reed on loan. That should free up at least 5k p/w, enough for a loan signing.

After that it gets harder...

Long - permanent/loan - if someone offers decent money, sell. If not, try and find him a loan move.
McNulty - permanent - would rather keep him but it doesn't look like he's going to get games and he's in the last year of his contract. If we sign Lavery I'd keep him though - they had a good partnership at Pompey.
Done - permanent - good option to have but if Lavery signs that might push him down the pecking order. Will probably be on wages he's not worth - Clough signed him.
Scougall - permanent - last year of his contract, unlikely to be a regular, hasn't been consistent enough, his stature holds him back, he would have takers, could sacrifice him to get a better midfielder.
Coutts - permanent - on high wages but he's our best technical player and we should make use of him.
DCL - permanent - could no doubt get a bit of money for him but for me it's a total non starter.

Ideally I'd get rid of Wallace and loan out Reed and Long. That should enable us to sign Morgan, a quality, possibly more expensive central midfielder and Lavery. Anything after that, such as a left back on loan, would be a bonus but with those outgoings should be possible.

I just hope we don't have to sacrifice anybody we don't want to, we shouldn't have to after losing Adams and Brayford.
For once United, add quality to quality and don't unnecessarily restrict yourselves.

If we are planning on buying players Wilder will have to sell.

• Banned
Kieran Wallace is potentially a first choice left back and he wouldn't have many takers anyway so that's why I've not included him. Nor would his departure impact the budget much.

I think it'd be a real shame to offload someone like Coutts to bring in a quality midfielder when we could bring in that midfielder and play him in the same team as Coutts and Fleck - two quality technical players. As I said, we should be more than able to bring in what we need without making sacrifices we don't want to make. It's about time we stretched that little bit further to build an adequate squad. We've already lost Adams and Brayford, it's not a lot to ask.

Wallace Hussey and Long. If we can't get Lavery then MacNuts. If we do get Lavery then Done.

I'm thinking on the same lines about McNulty and Done.

I'd keep Hussey but if we got a better LB on loan I'd be willing to offload if he had any takers, maybe on loan until January.

And this is the concern. How many times does it happen?

Scougall - not good enough. We know he isn't good enough. He has had enough chances and he proves consistently that, despite an amicable work rate, he has no end product in terms of goals and assists.

Done - not good enough. He played ok against Oxford, but again, has he looked a player to you that would start in a promotion winning side? Not for me. Perhaps more justified than Scougall, in as much as he has proven he can be decent at this level, but still needs a replacement.

Coutts - well. I've never really understood the slagging off he gets, always thought he is a tidy footballer. However, he won't be able to succeed next to Basham. Needs a new partner.

There should be no 'spanners in the work'. We know who's is good enough (which is just about Sharp with question marks over some others) and we know who definitely needs replacing (Long, Hussey, Basham, Scougall, Done) and nothing should detract from this based on a 2-1 win at home to Oxford. We need to be ruthless and improve in nearly every area of the field to mount a serious promotion push IMO.
Promotion winning side, really? Are you still thinking that way? This has to be a year of building, nothing more. Expectation is far too high. We are currently nowhere near good enough and adding one or two players won't change that. Building a squad to consolidate and kick on next year has to be the answer, much as this saddens me...... :-(

If there is any interest in James Wallace he better be chauffeur driven to the medical, otherwise he'll fail due to a pulled hamstring and dislocated shoulder, obtained putting the car in first gear whilst setting off.

Promotion winning side, really? Are you still thinking that way? This has to be a year of building, nothing more. Expectation is far too high. We are currently nowhere near good enough and adding one or two players won't change that. Building a squad to consolidate and kick on next year has to be the answer, much as this saddens me...... :-(
Razor, if we ever think we shouldn't be looking for promotion from this league I will give up, I understand your point but for me I am still expecting to be pushing for automatic, if it doesn't happen then the play offs it is, just like I was saying this time last year |-O

If we are planning on buying players Wilder will have to sell.

And if he ... sorry ... McCabe sells, you can guarantee it will be on these conditions:

1. Peanuts.
2. "We couldn't turn it down."
3. "We can't keep the player if he wants to go."
4. "It triggered a clause in his contract that if anyone offered bobbar money, we'd have his bags packed and he'd be off.
5. Ten quid down payment. The rest in yearly installments, if:
a. The player plays for England
b. He scores a goal in the World Cup final, in the second half, kicking toward the kop
c. He marries one of Little Mix. The one with the big arse. Yeah, her.
d. We pay them back plus interest at 43827% APR if all the above doesn't happen
6. If the cost is above £30k, Wilder gets £500 of it for transfers, the rest goes on the 'mounting debt'.
7. Certain posters pull out their hankies to boo-hoo how much Kind Kevin has kept our valiant club from sinking without trace*

*by buying every fucking thing the club ever owned, allowing it to stagnate and die, and flogging off the residue. Some would call it venture capitalism, some would call it 'being a bloody big Blade'.

pommpey

Razor, if we ever think we shouldn't be looking for promotion from this league I will give up, I understand your point but for me I am still expecting to be pushing for automatic, if it doesn't happen then the play offs it is, just like I was saying this time last year |-O
If it happens great, but
I understand that but we seem to keep repeating the same process every year and it doesn't work. I am an optimistic Blade but it's gradually getting knocked out of me.....we all want the same!

Agree with both points. I have a feeling Sharp might be on his way.

No, I think you've slightly missed my point. We are (should be) aspiring to be a promotion-winning side. However, to ultimately be a promotion winning side, we need to not make the same old mistakes of 'oh he had a good game, maybe he is good enough'. No, we need to get rid of Scougall et all, one swallow doesn't not make a summer. Just because we more than likely won't go up this year, doesn't mean we should accept playing players who have been tried and tested as not being good enough.

No, I think you've slightly missed my point. We are (should be) aspiring to be a promotion-winning side. However, to ultimately be a promotion winning side, we need to not make the same old mistakes of 'oh he had a good game, maybe he is good enough'. No, we need to get rid of Scougall et all, one swallow doesn't not make a summer. Just because we more than likely won't go up this year, doesn't mean we should accept playing players who have been tried and tested as not being good enough.
I agree with you.

But ironically, that widely held view is the reason we're still here. We only ever have a one year plan to get promoted, and when it doesn't work, we declare it unacceptable that a club the size of Sheffield United hasn't got promoted from the third division, and we change everything - then start again with another one year plan to get promoted.

Promotion with a new manager/team is possible in one year if you have lots of money to go out and get by far the best team in the division. But we don't have that sort of investment, so we need to allow time to build. If we keep changing it every season, we're going to be here for a long, long time - until one year the annual changes go particularly badly wrong, and we get relegated.

Aye that's gone well not one outfield player in.

I assume you mean since the sale? Perhaps as some on here have mentioned the other outfield players were signed on the intended/anticipated sale of Che? The loss (?) of Brayford is presumably funding Morgan and no doubt a few other outgoing may fund Lavery and one other.

Hussey for me. A gamble which hasn't paid off. Doesn't matter how good his left foot is if he can't defend. We need better.
Although like the team, he maybe needs a little time to settle (Jamie Murphy?) I've got a nagging feeling you could be right

The excuse for selling Che was we needed to so we could strengthen????? Fucking ludicrous
And I thought we sold him because we were offered way over the odds for a player who was an average third division forward.

Back
Top Bottom