Our Premier League stars of the future

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
It wasn't too far in the past that I remember heading to Bournemouth to watch us under Danny Wilson break their long unbeaten run. Jamie Murphy got the winner, and we generally made them look ordinary.

A thought occurred when I saw the goals from their win at West Ham – several of those that looked decidedly average in that loss to us are now unlikely stars for their Premier League team. Simon Francis had a tough time against Murphy (who hadn't even found anything near top form at that stage) and I though Pugh looked poor. Both played key roles in some of the goals last Saturday. You see similar examples at Southampton where those in Adkins's L1 team stayed involved in their rise to the top tier.

So here's the question. Let's say in the next few years we have a similar ascent. Who would be three unlikely players that from our current 1st team squad would still play a prominent part in the Premier League team and be able to make the adjustment? I'm imagining some might be snapped up by then (Adams), some might be too old. My three would therefore be: Brayford, Basham, Flynn.

It wasn't too far in the past that I remember heading to Bournemouth to watch us under Danny Wilson break their long unbeaten run. Jamie Murphy got the winner, and we generally made them look ordinary.

A thought occurred when I saw the goals from their win at West Ham – several of those that looked decidedly average in that loss to us are now unlikely stars for their Premier League team. Simon Francis had a tough time against Murphy (who hadn't even found anything near top form at that stage) and I though Pugh looked poor. Both played key roles in some of the goals last Saturday. You see similar examples at Southampton where those in Adkins's L1 team stayed involved in their rise to the top tier.

So here's the question. Let's say in the next few years we have a similar ascent. Who would be three unlikely players that from our current 1st team squad would still play a prominent part in the Premier League team and be able to make the adjustment? I'm imagining some might be snapped up by then (Adams), some might be too old. My three would therefore be: Brayford, Basham, Flynn.

None . All league 1 or low championship standard. Any player we would have now , would mean certain relegation and less points that Derby got in the premiership.

Brayford, Done, Adams.

The only three who I'd feel could play a part if we were to be in the Premier League in the next few seasons. I wouldn't feel confident with anyone else from our current squad being able to handle it in the top flight.

Reed, Baxter, Brayford, Freeman, Done, Adams, Calvert-Lewin, J.Wallace, K.Wallace and Long maybe.

I think some of us are forgetting how big of a jump the premier league is!

Yes and no. Who would have thought that Francis would get there for example – a player plying most of his football after he left us at L2 level.

Similarly, when we went up to the Premier League I was surprised that people like Geary and Gillespie coped as well as they did. Gillespie in particular seemed to have just had a role of subbing on for Ifill for the last 20 mins the season before.

The point of the thread was not "who do we think is too shit to get anywhere else ever" but "who plausibly has the potential to improve with us as we gradually rise". Adams if he stays with is another that could.

I remember in Wilsons season when we got 90 points how good we looked against league one teams. Especially with Ched smashing them in left right and centre. Then we drew Birmingham at the lane in the cup and got hammered 4-0. It looked easy to them and they were mid table championship.

I've only seen Bournemouth against Liverpool so far, but noted that their back 4 was the one they got promoted from League One with; it didn't look out of place. That puts the mess we have made of recruitment into perspective.

PS And, I suspect, shows what some good coaching can do.

I also think some people have forgotten our games against Prem teams in the cup games over the last few years. Some players struggle at this level but would thrive in the Prem, same the other way round. Perhaps people have also forgotten that butt of so many (unfair?) jokes Nick Montgomery had arguably his best season for us in the Prem.

Collins is a Premier League centre back. :)

Seriously out of our squad at the moment Adams, Brayford, Done, maybe Freeman and a older more experienced Louis Reed could make it.

It's a big leap and I think you might struggle to find 3. Brayford was bought by Cardiff for that division, so assuming he hasn't deteriorated too much that would be one name.

As for any others I think it might be one of the younger members of the squad, who has been written off by most as not up to it. Some players develop a bit later than others for various reason, so my possible (rather than probable) names might surprise most. McGahey or De Girolamo.

I remember in Wilsons season when we got 90 points how good we looked against league one teams. Especially with Ched smashing them in left right and centre. Then we drew Birmingham at the lane in the cup and got hammered 4-0. It looked easy to them and they were mid table championship.

It was, however, the least one sided 4-0 I've witnessed.

Brayford seems an obvious one if he can get back to his best following injury. Basham could probably do a job in most teams with some momentum. Maybe Freeman as he has time to improve, same for McGahey and Wallace although they’re not as far along. Ronnie Moore seems to thin James Wallace has what it takes to play in the Prem but it depends on fitness I suppose. I can assure you all that Alcock, McEveley, Collins, JCR, Higdon Sharp, Coutts etc won’t be in the prem with us as they’re too old to improve now . I think Adams will get to the Prem before we do. I don’t think we have many attacking players who could play at that level. Adams is about the only one in my opinion as he has age on his side. I suppose the likes of Reed, DdG, DCL etc could improve significantly but I would expect them to have established themselves at this level by now if they were going to be Prem first teamers in the future. But you never know. If we got to the championship, we would need to replace our attacking players I think. Sharp, Sammon, Done etc are good players for this league but teams who go straight through tend to add firepower the higher they go. Bournemouth signed Wilson on Kermmogant acknowledging that Pittman had been good for them in League 1 but they needed more as they ascended. Sometimes you get a target man who can go through the leagues with you (Lambert, Holt etc) but I think as you go higher, you need more pace (Rodriguez, Wilson etc.).

Collins is a Premier League centre back. :)

Seriously out of our squad at the moment Adams, Brayford, Done, maybe Freeman and a older more experienced Louis Reed could make it.

I think it's reasonable to say they will all be a bit older if it ever happens:) and that's the whole point of the thread.

Reed, Baxter, Brayford, Freeman, Done, Adams, Calvert-Lewin, J.Wallace, K.Wallace and Long maybe.

Give all the above players two /three seasons of success to get to the Prem and they could all be ready. Play them in an unsuccessful side in League 1 for 3 years with all the abuse and heartache and it would be somewhat different. How many players over the years have grown with the manager and with the success? Many would have had much different careers if they had instead played for a sequence of our managers and in our teams this past 8 years for example.

One amazing example is Jamie Vardy. It can be done.

I remember that trip to Bournemouth. Beer in the Goat after the match and Chaplins over in Boscombe in the evening.

Cracking away weekend.

HH

It was, however, the least one sided 4-0 I've witnessed.
Didn't go to that Scunthorpe game in the relegation season then? Or would you class that as a very one-sided 4-0... just in favour of the losing team? (Still arguably the best I've seen us play)

Answer to the OP: Reed. He already has Premier League passing ability, which is a good start for an 18 year old. Potential future England player if he develops and makes his way up there steadily. I'd say his potential is greater than that of Adams. Adams is still very raw and has a lot of work to do. His dribbling lacks real flair and his pace is somewhat mythical. His strongest asset is his finishing, which is very good, and his strength would be up there if he can learn how to use it. I'm encouraged by Adkins always talking about Adams' willingness to learn and improve. His enthusiasm and confidence will go a long way to helping him realise his potential.

Struggling to think of a third. Maybe DdG or DCL as they have age on their side. Maybe Done if we go back to back promotions and he's scoring most of the goals. Possibly Freeman as a wide midfielder.

I've only seen Bournemouth against Liverpool so far, but noted that their back 4 was the one they got promoted from League One with; it didn't look out of place. That puts the mess we have made of recruitment into perspective.

This is what I see in the OP: there may be players we have now who look nothing special in Division 3 but may end up fitting in in Division 1. It'd be good to find out either way.

Coaching, self-motivation, playing style may all play a part in that transformation.

No idea who it applies to though.

A better question for me is why in the blue hell we didn't play Simon Francis when we had him. I always thought he looked great. Top lad around the training pitch too. Bantersaurus.

Coaching, self-motivation, playing style may all play a part in that transformation.

I know they have had more than adequate backing, but the smartest money they spent was on hauling Eddie Howe back from Burnley.

I remember suggesting him for us on an old Blades board before he signed for Portsmouth in 2002, he really is a supporters dream come true.

Brayford, Done, Adams.

The only three who I'd feel could play a part if we were to be in the Premier League in the next few seasons. I wouldn't feel confident with anyone else from our current squad being able to handle it in the top flight.

I'd add J. Wallace, Bash, freeman, Reed, Baxter to that list

Didn't go to that Scunthorpe game in the relegation season then? Or would you class that as a very one-sided 4-0... just in favour of the losing team? (Still arguably the best I've seen us play)

Answer to the OP: Reed. He already has Premier League passing ability, which is a good start for an 18 year old. Potential future England player if he develops and makes his way up there steadily. I'd say his potential is greater than that of Adams. Adams is still very raw and has a lot of work to do. His dribbling lacks real flair and his pace is somewhat mythical. His strongest asset is his finishing, which is very good, and his strength would be up there if he can learn how to use it. I'm encouraged by Adkins always talking about Adams' willingness to learn and improve. His enthusiasm and confidence will go a long way to helping him realise his potential.

Struggling to think of a third. Maybe DdG or DCL as they have age on their side. Maybe Done if we go back to back promotions and he's scoring most of the goals. Possibly Freeman as a wide midfielder.

Not only will Reed not play for "England" (a third rate outfit in any event) or in the Premiership, he'll do well to have a career in the lower divisions. Che is destined for bigger (pun intended) and better things, by far.

Sorry Bladey Blades...

Quite. I remember we were (vaguely) linked to Callum Wilson when he was at Coventry (He went to Bournemouth July 2014 for around £3m). Not only would that sum have seemed outrageous to our board, if we had bought him, he'd have been sold by now.

This is what I see in the OP: there may be players we have now who look nothing special in Division 3 but may end up fitting in in Division 1. It'd be good to find out either way.

It would if, like Murphy, they didn't flog anybody who looks remotely likely.

1 year ago some heralded de geralamo as the next Messi , but thats fallen well short , its hard to get 100% right
Che has the potential as does Reed, and the lad out on loan with the double barrel name
Murphys gone to Brighton and to be fair that will probably be the peak of his ambition,at best hes a championship player ,possibly
Cant see many of the current squad being here in 3 years in our second season back in the prem

Back
Top Bottom