Opinions on the current squad

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

EdinburghBlade

Reaction score
Fellow Blades, reasonably new to the forum and recently compiled a squad report for the team. What are people's thoughts on the current squad for next season? I shall post mine below, keen to see if people agree.

Goalkeepers:

Mark Howard: Has done more than enough this season to convince me that he should be our number 1 regardless of whether we get promoted. Disregarding a couple of errors, he has been consistent all season and has proved he’s comfortable against some of the country’s best teams. I don’t see any need to replace him.

George Long: Has been loaned out to Oxford and Motherwell this season. He was dropped from the side at League 2 side Oxford and has been inconsistent at lowly Motherwell. A few costly errors this season and I fail to see an improvement since he was our first choice 18 months ago. Now at the age of 21, it’s clear he’s not the player we once thought he was going to be.

Iain Turner: Initially very professional when called upon after Mark Howard got injured, but made one or two poor and costly mistakes towards the end of his spell in goal. I’d imagine he’ll provide cover for the number 1 if we fail to get promoted, however in the Championship we should look to replace him.

George Willis: Continues to show promise at U21 level. We should hold on to him, keep playing him in the U21s, and perhaps give him game time in competitions such as the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, or Capital One cup early rounds.

Defenders:

Craig Alcock: Brought in during summer 2014 based on the fact we ‘couldn’t’ get John Brayford. Was impressed by Alcock’s consistent performances during the first half of the season but we’re not going to spend more than 1.5million on Brayford to put him on the bench. With Freeman at right back as well, I’d be very surprised if Alcock didn’t leave in the summer.

Bob Harris: Ended last season as first choice left back and has consolidated that position this season. Has turned into a consistent full back who is able to bomb forward. I certainly hope Bob Harris gets a contract extension as his deal runs out at the end of the season.

John Brayford: Bought in January for over £1.5m. I would be very surprised if John Brayford is not first choice right back next season. The only reason I could see him not being first choice right back is that he may be needed at centre half, but I’d expect us to strengthen in the centre of defence over the summer, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Neill Collins: I’m a big fan of Neill Collins but I feel being left out of the team for nearly a year will have affected his confidence. We cannot carry passengers while he gets back up to speed and Collo isn’t getting any younger either. A loyal servant but I think he’ll leave this summer.

Harrison McGahey: Next season will be a big year for young Harrison. Clough brought him in to play him in the U21s this season, with the view of playing him in the first team next season. I’d imagine he won’t be in the starting 11 at the start of next season, particularly if we’re in the Championship, but he should be looking to break into the side.

Jay McEveley: Has shown quality at times but McEveley is not a centre half naturally. He is a left back and Bob Harris has made that position his own. McEveley is also now 31. Long term, McEveley is not the answer therefore should look to get rid in the summer.

Kieran Freeman: Thought it was a strange signing at first with Brayford signing the same day, and with Alcock already here at right back. However, has impressed when he has played this season at right back, left back or right midfield. I would imagine he will provide cover for Brayford and Harris next season.

Terry Kennedy: A promising young centre half who has produced some top quality performances this season, but has been affected by injury for much of the season. Next season will be a big season for Terry. He should look to have a similar impact to Harry Maguire next season, when he first broke into the side.

Midfielders:

James Wallace: Has had a horrible season with injury. We have plenty of players in his position already and think we should move him on for a fresh start somewhere else.

Chris Basham: Has impressed me very much during his first season. He’s got better and better as the season has gone on. In more recent months he’s been used as a centre half, would like to see him in midfield next season to give us some height in the centre of the park.

Ryan Flynn: Consistently impressive over the past few seasons and is turning into a loyal servant for the club. Can be used at right back or right midfield. He is a regular in the starting eleven and regardless of what division we’re in next season, I think he should be in the starting eleven.

Michael Doyle: One of the first names on the team sheet for the past few seasons but Doyle isn’t getting any younger. If we fail to get promoted I think he will be used as a squad rotation player but if we go up, I feel it could be the end of his United career. A loyal servant nonetheless.

Stefan Scougall: Hasn’t quite shown the same quality as last season but is still only young. He has still played a big part in us being in the play-offs and getting to the Capital One Cup semi-final. Since his return from injury he has look more like the old Scougall. Next season is a big season for him. Need to impress next season.

Jose Baxter: Despite criticism from some fans he is still a vital part of our team. He has scored some crucial goals this season. Should concentrate on getting his fitness up in preseason, as he is still only young and can be an influential player next season.

Ben Davies: Has been affected by injury for much of the season. Played a vital part in the rise up the table last season, but now at the age of 34, and after being injured for much of the season, we should look to replace him with somebody younger. He is not a first team regular.

Paul Coutts: Come under some criticism since he’s come in for some below par performances, but with a preseason under his belt should come back a better player next season. Has the potential to be the long term replacement for Michael Doyle.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce: Was only brought in last summer, but after being sent out on loan to Notts County his confidence may have been affected. If he stays next season, he’ll have to accept a more squad rotational role. If we get promoted we should look to get rid, otherwise he could be an impact substitution.

Louis Reed: Still only 17 years old, has delivered some top quality performances this season. We should hold on to him at all costs and he should be looking at cementing a place in the first team next season.

Connor Dimaio: Showed promise at the end of last season but opportunities have been limited this season. Should look at loaning him out at the start of next season, and if he can’t break into the squad next season, let him go.

Kieran Wallace: Haven’t been overly impressed since he’s come in. Is still only young so should be given time to develop in the youth team. Reassess his situation at the end of next season.

Florent Cuvelier: Opportunities have been limited due to injury but I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen of him. Stand out performance was playing 90 minutes against Southampton. Has the potential to be a key player but must prove himself next season.

Jason Holt: Keep at all costs. Has scored some vital goals from midfield since coming in in February. Goals from midfield are vital to the way we play, and he is out of contract with parent club Hearts.

Strikers:

Jamie Murphy: In my opinion he is our best player. When he is on form, full backs in this division cannot handle him. No doubt he would be able to excel in the Championship. He signed a new deal in January this year.

Marc McNulty: Has struggled to get into the starting 11 in recent months. However, he has impressed this season, scored some vital goals, it’s his first season in English football and is still only young. Should look to cement a place in the starting 11 next season.

Matt Done: Has been influential since coming in in January. Has scored some vital goals and has played very well any time I have seen him play. He will be a key part of plans next season.

Michael Higdon: Has scored a couple of goals for us in the cups against lower opposition this season but apart from that has done very little. Has been injured for the past few months and hasn’t had the impact that we hoped. He is not the same player that won the golden boot in the SPL a few seasons ago. Get rid.

Diego de Girlamo: Has stated he doesn’t want a new contract. I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. If he doesn’t want to play for us, let him go. He is not and will never be Juventus standard.

Che Adams: Unforgettably scored a double against Spurs in the semi-final. A lively attacking minded young player who should look to get into the squad regularly next season.

Steven Davies: I think we should look to sign Davies at the end of the season permanently. Wasn’t 100% sure about him coming in initially, but he has been influential in setting up as well as scoring goals since he’s come in. He provides us with both presence and ability up front, something that we’ve had one or the other, but not both over the last couple of years.

What is important is how they play as a team. For me collectively they haven't worked as a team. For my own two penneth I do t think Howsrd or Baxter are not good enough. But remember it's all about opinions not facts.

What stands out there is the imbalance in the squad, only 3 natural centre halves and two are out of favour yet we have 11 central midfielders.

Completely agree, the squad has no balance at all. Other than Howard, this season we have been completely lacking the central spine of the team. We have no centre halves other than Kennedy (who seems to be injury prone) and McGahey (who Clough doesn't seem to rate). We don't have a regular central midfield partnership, Doyle is not a guaranteed start any more and Basham seems to be preferred as a central defender. Beyond central midfield, I think our problems are that NC has bought a lot of midfield players who are very similar - i.e. small, energetic but lacking in pace and (with the exception of Baxter when he wants to) any creativity. Up front we do not have a guaranteed starter, Done is injury prone and Clough doesn't seem to like McNulty; Higdon is a waste of wages, Diego is leaving, and I don't think Murphy and Adams are out and out centre forwards. Davies has started to impress, however, he is injury prone, and we have enough problems with injury prone players without signing another one.

I think it has been Clough's biggest failing (among many) this season not focusing on getting the spine of the team right first, and then building the squad around this.

Pretty good summary but Murphy is not a striker - he is a goal scoring midfielder.
He may play up top on occasion - but he is no striker - plays nothing like Done and Davies.
Che - is also a midfielder, not a striker

Completely agree, the squad has no balance at all. Other than Howard, this season we have been completely lacking the central spine of the team. We have no centre halves other than Kennedy (who seems to be injury prone) and McGahey (who Clough doesn't seem to rate). We don't have a regular central midfield partnership, Doyle is not a guaranteed start any more and Basham seems to be preferred as a central defender. Beyond central midfield, I think our problems are that NC has bought a lot of midfield players who are very similar - i.e. small, energetic but lacking in pace and (with the exception of Baxter when he wants to) any creativity. Up front we do not have a guaranteed starter, Done is injury prone and Clough doesn't seem to like McNulty; Higdon is a waste of wages, Diego is leaving, and I don't think Murphy and Adams are out and out centre forwards. Davies has started to impress, however, he is injury prone, and we have enough problems with injury prone players without signing another one.

I think it has been Clough's biggest failing (among many) this season not focusing on getting the spine of the team right first, and then building the squad around this.

"....getting the spine of the team right first...."

I agree with that, if you remember the season where we stuttered and let our blue and white rivals take the automatic place, the "spine" of the team was Collins and Maguire at the back, Kevin McDonald in the middle (with Doyle and/or Williamson) and Evans up front. The defence was fairly solid, McDonald usually controlled the middle of the park and Evans was (for that season at least) a goal scoring machine. Come the end of the season, Maguire had missed games with a red card, McDonald was on crutches and Evans in prison.

Had we had all three of the above, in the run in to the end of the season, we would have gone up automatic, even the most die-hard SWFC fan agrees with that.

Oh and I forgot to say, I agree with most of the opening post and the opinion on the players. I doubt we can afford the wage bill for another season in League One, with that many players, so we need to trim some, no doubt about it. Players who are in the treatment room all season (or most of it) are a luxury we can't afford,

Wallace still has another year on his salary doesn't he? If so, why would we move him on? Nobody will be willing to pay a fee for him and if we released him we'd have to pay-up a large proportion of his contract anyway.
JCR won't stay due to personal reasons.
Assuming NC is still about and therefore there’ll be no major changes tactically, as part of a big clear-out (but depending on contract situations) I'd also get rid of Long, Turner, Alcock, Collins, McEverley, K. Wallace, Doyle, B. Davies, Cuvelier, DdG, Higdon and (tin hat on) McNulty (who I like but simply can't play in a 4-5-1) and Scougall (who is always busy but creates very little and doesn't score enough). If the long term aspirations of the club are to be achieved, all those unable to play (or have the potential to play) at Champ level should be moved on.
Getting the spine right next season is key and has been (one of) NC's biggest failings this season. As part of that I think they need to sign a new GK - preferably to start but at very least to put more pressure on Howard. 2 new CBs, a physical replacement for Doyle and COG and/or Davies would be on my shopping list.
Whilst he's certainly not been at his best for us so far I can see potential in Coutts but he needs a full pre-season so get him fully match fit (same goes for J. Wallace).
We don't need all 4 AMCs of Scougall, Baxter, Holt and Cuvelier - 2 should suffice with my preferences being Baxter and Holt (Done could play there if required).
Plenty there for you all to shoot holes at....

Fellow Blades, reasonably new to the forum and recently compiled a squad report for the team. What are people's thoughts on the current squad for next season? I shall post mine below, keen to see if people agree.

Goalkeepers:

Mark Howard: Has done more than enough this season to convince me that he should be our number 1 regardless of whether we get promoted. Disregarding a couple of errors, he has been consistent all season and has proved he’s comfortable against some of the country’s best teams. I don’t see any need to replace him.

George Long: Has been loaned out to Oxford and Motherwell this season. He was dropped from the side at League 2 side Oxford and has been inconsistent at lowly Motherwell. A few costly errors this season and I fail to see an improvement since he was our first choice 18 months ago. Now at the age of 21, it’s clear he’s not the player we once thought he was going to be.

Iain Turner: Initially very professional when called upon after Mark Howard got injured, but made one or two poor and costly mistakes towards the end of his spell in goal. I’d imagine he’ll provide cover for the number 1 if we fail to get promoted, however in the Championship we should look to replace him.

George Willis: Continues to show promise at U21 level. We should hold on to him, keep playing him in the U21s, and perhaps give him game time in competitions such as the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, or Capital One cup early rounds.

Defenders:

Craig Alcock: Brought in during summer 2014 based on the fact we ‘couldn’t’ get John Brayford. Was impressed by Alcock’s consistent performances during the first half of the season but we’re not going to spend more than 1.5million on Brayford to put him on the bench. With Freeman at right back as well, I’d be very surprised if Alcock didn’t leave in the summer.

Bob Harris: Ended last season as first choice left back and has consolidated that position this season. Has turned into a consistent full back who is able to bomb forward. I certainly hope Bob Harris gets a contract extension as his deal runs out at the end of the season.

John Brayford: Bought in January for over £1.5m. I would be very surprised if John Brayford is not first choice right back next season. The only reason I could see him not being first choice right back is that he may be needed at centre half, but I’d expect us to strengthen in the centre of defence over the summer, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Neill Collins: I’m a big fan of Neill Collins but I feel being left out of the team for nearly a year will have affected his confidence. We cannot carry passengers while he gets back up to speed and Collo isn’t getting any younger either. A loyal servant but I think he’ll leave this summer.

Harrison McGahey: Next season will be a big year for young Harrison. Clough brought him in to play him in the U21s this season, with the view of playing him in the first team next season. I’d imagine he won’t be in the starting 11 at the start of next season, particularly if we’re in the Championship, but he should be looking to break into the side.

Jay McEveley: Has shown quality at times but McEveley is not a centre half naturally. He is a left back and Bob Harris has made that position his own. McEveley is also now 31. Long term, McEveley is not the answer therefore should look to get rid in the summer.

Kieran Freeman: Thought it was a strange signing at first with Brayford signing the same day, and with Alcock already here at right back. However, has impressed when he has played this season at right back, left back or right midfield. I would imagine he will provide cover for Brayford and Harris next season.

Terry Kennedy: A promising young centre half who has produced some top quality performances this season, but has been affected by injury for much of the season. Next season will be a big season for Terry. He should look to have a similar impact to Harry Maguire next season, when he first broke into the side.

Midfielders:

James Wallace: Has had a horrible season with injury. We have plenty of players in his position already and think we should move him on for a fresh start somewhere else.

Chris Basham: Has impressed me very much during his first season. He’s got better and better as the season has gone on. In more recent months he’s been used as a centre half, would like to see him in midfield next season to give us some height in the centre of the park.

Ryan Flynn: Consistently impressive over the past few seasons and is turning into a loyal servant for the club. Can be used at right back or right midfield. He is a regular in the starting eleven and regardless of what division we’re in next season, I think he should be in the starting eleven.

Michael Doyle: One of the first names on the team sheet for the past few seasons but Doyle isn’t getting any younger. If we fail to get promoted I think he will be used as a squad rotation player but if we go up, I feel it could be the end of his United career. A loyal servant nonetheless.

Stefan Scougall: Hasn’t quite shown the same quality as last season but is still only young. He has still played a big part in us being in the play-offs and getting to the Capital One Cup semi-final. Since his return from injury he has look more like the old Scougall. Next season is a big season for him. Need to impress next season.

Jose Baxter: Despite criticism from some fans he is still a vital part of our team. He has scored some crucial goals this season. Should concentrate on getting his fitness up in preseason, as he is still only young and can be an influential player next season.

Ben Davies: Has been affected by injury for much of the season. Played a vital part in the rise up the table last season, but now at the age of 34, and after being injured for much of the season, we should look to replace him with somebody younger. He is not a first team regular.

Paul Coutts: Come under some criticism since he’s come in for some below par performances, but with a preseason under his belt should come back a better player next season. Has the potential to be the long term replacement for Michael Doyle.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce: Was only brought in last summer, but after being sent out on loan to Notts County his confidence may have been affected. If he stays next season, he’ll have to accept a more squad rotational role. If we get promoted we should look to get rid, otherwise he could be an impact substitution.

Louis Reed: Still only 17 years old, has delivered some top quality performances this season. We should hold on to him at all costs and he should be looking at cementing a place in the first team next season.

Connor Dimaio: Showed promise at the end of last season but opportunities have been limited this season. Should look at loaning him out at the start of next season, and if he can’t break into the squad next season, let him go.

Kieran Wallace: Haven’t been overly impressed since he’s come in. Is still only young so should be given time to develop in the youth team. Reassess his situation at the end of next season.

Florent Cuvelier: Opportunities have been limited due to injury but I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen of him. Stand out performance was playing 90 minutes against Southampton. Has the potential to be a key player but must prove himself next season.

Jason Holt: Keep at all costs. Has scored some vital goals from midfield since coming in in February. Goals from midfield are vital to the way we play, and he is out of contract with parent club Hearts.

Strikers:

Jamie Murphy: In my opinion he is our best player. When he is on form, full backs in this division cannot handle him. No doubt he would be able to excel in the Championship. He signed a new deal in January this year.

Marc McNulty: Has struggled to get into the starting 11 in recent months. However, he has impressed this season, scored some vital goals, it’s his first season in English football and is still only young. Should look to cement a place in the starting 11 next season.

Matt Done: Has been influential since coming in in January. Has scored some vital goals and has played very well any time I have seen him play. He will be a key part of plans next season.

Michael Higdon: Has scored a couple of goals for us in the cups against lower opposition this season but apart from that has done very little. Has been injured for the past few months and hasn’t had the impact that we hoped. He is not the same player that won the golden boot in the SPL a few seasons ago. Get rid.

Diego de Girlamo: Has stated he doesn’t want a new contract. I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. If he doesn’t want to play for us, let him go. He is not and will never be Juventus standard.

Che Adams: Unforgettably scored a double against Spurs in the semi-final. A lively attacking minded young player who should look to get into the squad regularly next season.

Steven Davies: I think we should look to sign Davies at the end of the season permanently. Wasn’t 100% sure about him coming in initially, but he has been influential in setting up as well as scoring goals since he’s come in. He provides us with both presence and ability up front, something that we’ve had one or the other, but not both over the last couple of years.

Generally agree with you here;
Collins and Doyle are out of contract in June so should be released along with calamity Turner and I would assess J Wallace's fitness to play and keep him only if he can play.
For another season in League 1 next year I would loan Baxter & Scougal out for the season as they have little impact on this Division.
We MUST bring in 2 dominant CHs and 2 strikers ( maybe Davies as one of them) plus a very solid box to box CM to take Doyle's place.
UTB & FTP

"....getting the spine of the team right first...."

I agree with that, if you remember the season where we stuttered and let our blue and white rivals take the automatic place, the "spine" of the team was Collins and Maguire at the back, Kevin McDonald in the middle (with Doyle and/or Williamson) and Evans up front. The defence was fairly solid, McDonald usually controlled the middle of the park and Evans was (for that season at least) a goal scoring machine. Come the end of the season, Maguire had missed games with a red card, McDonald was on crutches and Evans in prison.

Had we had all three of the above, in the run in to the end of the season, we would have gone up automatic, even the most die-hard SWFC fan agrees with that.

Agreed Graps but ...

... what have we now as the 'spine of the team'?

Basham - playing as a centre back instead of his usual position, partnered by Brayford, another player out of position
Doyle - a midfielder who is getting on a bit, awkward in the tackle and huffs and puffs and fails to blow any houses down
Davies - 'not Evans'

Gone is Maguire, sure footed and able. Collins, in the partnership ... quite a central pairing. Gone is Coady as well (from last season) who in the last months switched on and showed his true capability to create and penetrate defences. And of course, Evans, prevously bobbar, but finding his level in div three.

Of course, we had Danny Wilson back then, endured Wier and now have Clough.

McCabe is still there, mind.

pommpey

Cant disagree with any of that.

Looking at the squad, we need to move on afew of the central midfielders we have.

I would let go:-

J Wallace (perm)
Doyle (release)
Flo (loan or perm)
K Wallace (release)

I would say that we need 2 experienced top quality centre backs, a new understudy keeper and a right winger.

For a few it's similar to a Shaun Miller moment, do we retain in hope, or release in the belief that their best moments are behind them?

I know evidence points towards the latter with Wallace (J), but I suspect we might have a genuinely influential player if his injury problems can be sorted once and for all. I don't have stats to hand, but if Wallace has been plagued by injuries throughout his career then there's little point holding onto him. A shame as the little I've seen of him I've been impressed. Vaguely similar thoughts about Flo, but it's all about balance and chemistry, so tough decisions ahead.

I'm still confused by posts that say we should get rid of players under contract. If no-one wants them aren't we obliged to pay them in full, unless we can negotiate a release fee for them?

As for the 'lowly Motherwell' comment, that's fucking rich coming from someone from Edinburgh. ;-)

The scale of the rebuild of the squad under Clough is massive. Yet there are so many players who are not really needed next season; not sure how that has happened. Unfortunately players sign contracts and don't just go away.

IMO move on: Turner, Alcock, Collins, McEveley, Doyle, B.Davies, Coutts, Ryce, K.Wallace, Holt (L), Higdon, Diego ( regrettably), S.Davies(L), McGinn, Cuvelier, McFadzean. Big thank you's to Doyle and Collins for their commitment and service.

Whether we are in League 1 or higher next season we need a more prolific goalscorer than S. Davies and a more mobile midfielder than Coutts whose very limitations in midfield mean we can't play 4-4-2, same applies to Baxter and Scougall actually unless they play up front. Why 4-4-2, well even if the manager prefers 4-5-1 we always need a Plan B and also a formation for games we might wish to go out and win from the outset.

Need a strong spine, a taller squad and black players can add a lot.

J.Wallace fit would be a big bonus.

Wallace still has another year on his salary doesn't he? If so, why would we move him on? Nobody will be willing to pay a fee for him and if we released him we'd have to pay-up a large proportion of his contract anyway.
JCR won't stay due to personal reasons.
Assuming NC is still about and therefore there’ll be no major changes tactically, as part of a big clear-out (but depending on contract situations) I'd also get rid of Long, Turner, Alcock, Collins, McEverley, K. Wallace, Doyle, B. Davies, Cuvelier, DdG, Higdon and (tin hat on) McNulty (who I like but simply can't play in a 4-5-1) and Scougall (who is always busy but creates very little and doesn't score enough). If the long term aspirations of the club are to be achieved, all those unable to play (or have the potential to play) at Champ level should be moved on.
Getting the spine right next season is key and has been (one of) NC's biggest failings this season. As part of that I think they need to sign a new GK - preferably to start but at very least to put more pressure on Howard. 2 new CBs, a physical replacement for Doyle and COG and/or Davies would be on my shopping list.
Whilst he's certainly not been at his best for us so far I can see potential in Coutts but he needs a full pre-season so get him fully match fit (same goes for J. Wallace).
We don't need all 4 AMCs of Scougall, Baxter, Holt and Cuvelier - 2 should suffice with my preferences being Baxter and Holt (Done could play there if required).
Plenty there for you all to shoot holes at....

I tend to agree with most of that but I wouldn't get rid of K Wallace, he was signed three months ago for the future. I'd also keep Scougall and McNulty but look to loan them out. A good spell on loan and we may be able to cash in on them, or use them again. There's a couple of decent players in there somewhere, their potential is still unfulfilled.

I'd probably keep McEverley as cover too.

I tend to agree with most of that but I wouldn't get rid of K Wallace, he was signed three months ago for the future. I'd also keep Scougall and McNulty but look to loan them out. A good spell on loan and we may be able to cash in on them, or use them again. There's a couple of decent players in there somewhere, their potential is still unfulfilled.

I'd probably keep McEverley as cover too.
Yep, you're probably right to say that K. Wallace deserves more time - probably worth sending him out on loan to a L2 club for games though.

Still not convinced about McNulty (reminds me of Miller in a lot of ways), Scougall and McEverley though and don't think they'll ever reach the required standard. Pity.

What a good thread, well done OP.

Next season I would be going with a 22 man squad:

3 GK. Howard (Long) Willis
2 RB. Brayford, Freeman
4 CB. (Kennedy), +3
2 LB. Harris, +1
2 RM. Flynn, +1
4 CM. Basham, Scougal, Reed, +1 (Holt)
2 LM. Murphy, +1
3 CF. Done, McNulty, +1 (Davies)

Half season Loan out. McGahey, Adams, Cuvellier.

If they're in brackets I'd have no objection to them staying or coming back but wouldn't lose sleep if they didn't.

If we need a couple more OK but happy to blood some youngsters in injury situations. Only one rule for the season. You get to play in your preferred spot or get to "fill in" only in an absolute emergency. NO SQUARE PEGS IN ROUND HOLES.

Agreed Graps but ...

... what have we now as the 'spine of the team'?

Basham - playing as a centre back instead of his usual position, partnered by Brayford, another player out of position
Doyle - a midfielder who is getting on a bit, awkward in the tackle and huffs and puffs and fails to blow any houses down
Davies - 'not Evans'

Gone is Maguire, sure footed and able. Collins, in the partnership ... quite a central pairing. Gone is Coady as well (from last season) who in the last months switched on and showed his true capability to create and penetrate defences. And of course, Evans, prevously bobbar, but finding his level in div three.

Of course, we had Danny Wilson back then, endured Wier and now have Clough.

McCabe is still there, mind.

pommpey

That was sort of my point mate, what we had would have taken us up auto, we have different players playing in those slots and never the same ones week in, week out.

What a good thread, well done OP.

Next season I would be going with a 22 man squad:

3 GK. Howard (Long) Willis
2 RB. Brayford, Freeman
4 CB. (Kennedy), +3
2 LB. Harris, +1
2 RM. Flynn, +1
4 CM. Basham, Scougal, Reed, +1 (Holt)
2 LM. Murphy, +1
3 CF. Done, McNulty, +1 (Davies)

Half season Loan out. McGahey, Adams, Cuvellier.

If they're in brackets I'd have no objection to them staying or coming back but wouldn't lose sleep if they didn't.

If we need a couple more OK but happy to blood some youngsters in injury situations. Only one rule for the season. You get to play in your preferred spot or get to "fill in" only in an absolute emergency. NO SQUARE PEGS IN ROUND HOLES.

I think Holt's goal return alone would warrant him a place ahead of Scougall. If we are to keep any of the smaller players, then let's make it the ones who can help win games.

The scale of the rebuild of the squad under Clough is massive. Yet there are so many players who are not really needed next season; not sure how that has happened. Unfortunately players sign contracts and don't just go away.

IMO move on: Turner, Alcock, Collins, McEveley, Doyle, B.Davies, Coutts, Ryce, K.Wallace, Holt (L), Higdon, Diego ( regrettably), S.Davies(L), McGinn, Cuvelier, McFadzean. Big thank you's to Doyle and Collins for their commitment and service.

Whether we are in League 1 or higher next season we need a more prolific goalscorer than S. Davies and a more mobile midfielder than Coutts whose very limitations in midfield mean we can't play 4-4-2, same applies to Baxter and Scougall actually unless they play up front. Why 4-4-2, well even if the manager prefers 4-5-1 we always need a Plan B and also a formation for games we might wish to go out and win from the outset.

"..Need a strong spine, a taller squad..."

Said it before, but if people think back to the season when Stoke were promoted to the Premiership, when they played us at BDTBL they looked like a team of giants, and our team was not that small at the time!

Also, again I have said this before, when SWFC pipped us to automatic, they only had three players under six foot tall.

Why on earth we keep pumping balls into the air, when we have no one tall enough to win the header, is beyond me.

Can't get rid of J. Wallace.

When fit, he'll be a more consistent version of Coutts, with far less misplaced passes and a better shot on him.

Me too Grap, but he's only on loan at the minute so has to be a +1 (i.e. a signing not a "keeping").

Yes good point pal, I know he came with a view of signing on permanent in Summer, soI am jumping ahead of myself I guess.

Can't get rid of J. Wallace.

When fit, he'll be a more consistent version of Coutts, with far less misplaced passes and a better shot on him.
As much as i hate to say it i reckon the injury is cronic with Wallace and Coutts also is struggling

I agree with most of that its a big unloading of players but the ones you mention will not take this club forward.
Baxter and Scougall are border line.
Steve Davies has good skills but hes getting on a bit and lacks a bit of desire.
Surely we can pick up a decent keeper for reasanble money.
Wallace good player but the injury is cronic.
I think Freeman and Harris are worth a go.
Got to stick with Adams hes raring to go give him a chance.
Two centre backs, creative midfielder and a striker for next season

Back
Top Bottom