Open division?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ricky

Banned
Reaction score
Could this be a good opportunity for us? A bit like last season should've been?

Millwall and MK Dons are underperforming, and Bolton have started to falter. Charlton have been mediocre and despite all their ability Peterborough are struggling to win.

Look at the five above us in the league...

Scunthorpe
Bury
Bradford
Northampton
Port Vale

How many of those do you expect to be challenging for automatic promotion come the end of the season?
I think Scunny and Bradford will be thereabouts and Vale are there to stay in terms of chasing a play off spot, but I don't think any of them will be contenders for the top two.

10 games gone and we've actually made the best start of all the likely contenders. Who would've thought that after the first few games?! We're not handicapping ourselves for once... what's going on?

I said I'd be very satisfied if we could be in the top 6 in January, at the moment it's looking very achievable. Although things can easily change - tonight's game proves that.

Long way to go, but remain hopeful

I'm relying on us having some depth to our squad which will be needed with the loan rule changes and some of the smaller squads with lower resource struggling a little come the latter end of the season

Agree, don't think the sides who went up last year were anything special. Think scunny might have the legs this year - seem to have improved on last year and are scoring for absolute fun.

I'm please we seem to have turned it round after a horrific start. And if we can get a real run together there's no reason we can't challenge for top 2. The crowd will be right behind the team, which seems to be getting it's identity back.

On the flip side you cant rule anyone out - just look at Barnsley last year. Bottom of the league to the play off final in the space of about 5 month.

A great opportunity, no parachute payment teams, Get in there and take it I say.

I'd expect Scunny and Bradford to be up there. Others will fall away in time.

Despite our decent run we are still one of the pack at the moment in my opinion. The team on show tonight lacked pace throughout and that will cause us problems in certain games. Well done tonight though to the players

Well none of us expected Burton to be up there so who knows all of them could be up there

• Banned
I'd give Scunny a chance of staying up there, they've definitely got something going at the minute. They're solid, they have continuity, they have goalscorers, they have a great home record. It depends whether the others get it together or not. I think Bolton and MK Dons will come good.

I think if we strengthen in centre mid and out wide in January we have a great chance. We have to keep the top two in sight until then which will hopefully give Wilder a bit more sway with the board.

Look at the five above us in the league...

Scunthorpe
Bury
Bradford
Northampton
Port Vale

How many of those do you expect to be challenging for automatic promotion come the end of the season?

None?

But then I wasn't expecting Leicester to win the PL last year at this stage either. Those clubs are there in merit at the moment and one or two of them will be in the mix come the end of the season.

What the top six does show so far is that it may be a tight, low points total sort of division. No one is running away with it (as Charlton did in Wilson's season).

All of which is irrelevant at this stage. Keep picking up points the way we have over the last 6 games and we will be up there as well.

Should we be going up? Yes, but that's been true for 5 years. Let's go out there and actually do it...

We need to get tighter at the back, clean sheets, and score more.

I would hate for goal difference to be the difference, come the end of the season.

Team P GD Pts
1 Scunthorpe 10 14 21
2 Bury 10 8 20
3 Bradford 10 5 18
4 Northampton10 7 17
5 Port Vale 10 3 17
6 Sheff Utd 10 0 17

Our first 4 games gave us a GD of -5
The 6 since had a GD of +5.
If we carry on as we are, even with 1-0's, GD will be fine. ;)

Cautiously optimistic.

Definitely the mantra for the time being.

Very open season indeed by the looks of things. If we keep the form going through October and beat the two sides around us (Vale & Bradford), I might even start believing...

Millwall, Charlton and Bolton lose again. That makes today's point better.

It looks like we've got a great opportunity to be in a very good position going into January.

I didn't expect it to look this positive for us at this stage.

From a distance there seems to be a touch of the Warnock side about us in the last few games, don't know when we're beat and I now expect to look at the final score having not lost.

Hopefully it's CW and his mentality instilled into the players and hopefully it gets us out of the division this season.

Millwall, Charlton and Bolton lose again. That makes today's point better.

It looks like we've got a great opportunity to be in a very good position going into January.

I didn't expect it to look this positive for us at this stage.
It seems like some our recent opponents aren't doing too badly either!
Scunthorpe won a top of the table clash away, Bristol Rovers got a great result at Northampton, Wimbledon and Oxford both winners.
If only the season had started at the end of August and not the beginning!!!!!

From a distance there seems to be a touch of the Warnock side about us in the last few games, don't know when we're beat and I now expect to look at the final score having not lost.

Hopefully it's CW and his mentality instilled into the players and hopefully it gets us out of the division this season.

Said this in another thread... Over the last 2 seasons we seemed to just throw in the towel and let games wind down.

We've had late goals against Scunny, Gillingham and Fleetwood so far - long may it continue

My concern is that we don't look like we have many goals in the team, we don't look capable of scoring more than 2 in a match. Promotion teams have comfortable wins every now and then, but at the moment we look like every match is going to be close.

An open division ?

After the truly awful first 4 games in terms of results to be 4th after 11 games I'm in complete agreement .

A point like todays where we've scrapped and scraped a 95th minute equaliser because we refused to lie down may well prove priceless in the long run .

Need to bring in a target striker and gritty midfielder in January ... then we'll be sorted for promotion
... Otherwise, we will struggle.

Isn't a fit Leon Clarke the target man
And Basham the gritty midfielder.
Also we will have a speedy winger/ forward in Lavery to come on as sub (as another option).

The team is only just starting to gel and we'll get better as the season progresses.

I notice a late draw doesnt draw as much derision when the piggies lose at home, just an observation
We appear to have less detractors

I notice a late draw doesnt draw as much derision when the piggies lose at home, just an observation
We appear to have less detractors

Whilst the pigs home defeat is aways legit I honestly think the fact we have rediscovered heart,pride and fight makes their result irrelevant in that respect.

Champions, nothing less. It's gonna happen , believe ;)

I want to see a Chris Wilder Statue outside BL next year as well.

Whilst the pigs home defeat is aways legit I honestly think the fact we have rediscovered heart,pride and fight makes their result irrelevant in that respect.

I listened to the whole match on Bladesplayer. Keith Edwards is often critical, sometimes negative about our team but with 2 minutes to go he said we might have lost but it's just one of those days. The perormance has been excellent in a match we've dominated. We could have won 5-1 so he's not too dissapointed because of the pleasing display.

I'm of the same opinion. You can't always control results due to occasional good luck or bad luck.

But you can control performances and effort. As long as we consistently perform then I've no complaints.

Over the last few seasons we have all moaned, saying, if only we could have turned those losses into draws and those draws into wins. Well we seem to have started doing that!

A long way to go, but this is the most encouraged I have been in a long while. We were genuinely unlucky on the first day of the season, and that game could have gone either way. As it stands now, I feel we would have sneaked an equalizer in that game with this team.

Definitely SBT. Good point.

At the start of the season I assumed with the likes of Derby, Norwich, Newcastle and Villa, that promotion was going to be a bridge too far for Wednesday. (As it turns out, not all of those teams are performing as expected) Because of that, and the importance of our season, I've been paying no attention to the Championship or pigs.

Back
Top Bottom