One season in eight days...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Last Saturday we beat Port Vale. Could have drawn, could have lost. Pretty typical of most home games this season. Could be said we were a bit fortunate.

Tuesday and one of the best performances of the season. We started with high tempo, got a couple of goals and could afford to let Scunthorpe 'come on to us'. They left gaps and we picked another couple of goals off. Possibly papered over a few cracks (two penalties etc.) but it would be churlish to criticise a very good performance and result.

Today. I'm not going to go into detail - I'm sure many people will have said enough. But this is the stark (and obvious) difference. As on Tuesday, we started off with the same tempo and attacking intent as Tuesday. However this time we went behind. And this illustrated our perennial problem. Go behind and we're utterly clueless how to break the opposition down. Nothing to do with the other team 'parking the bus', nothing to do with time-wasting, bobbly pitch, gusty wind or pitifully late and ineffective substitutions.

Not only do the players lack the nous to overcome these tactics (away teams go in front and then defend. Who'd have thunk it?) but the 'technical staff' seem unable to influence our 'style' of play. Sideways. Backwards. Pretty, going-nowhere patterns. And then the 'killer ball' or, in our case a wild hoof forward or a floated ball/cross that is meat and drink to defenders.

Certainly the inability to think a way round the 11 behind the ball is a major fallibility with this team.
Once we got back on par, you were never convinced we could win it. Other than Bashams header against post, we were powder puff.
Sadly, no surprise when they scored a winner.
I'll stand by my no play off for us prediction from t'other week.
Summats badly wrong somewhere :-(

People will point to the fact that we've won twice in the week preceding today's game and rightly so, it's a valid point. But in a sense that's what's been so wrong with our stay at this level. We showed on Tuesday what we can do against teams at this level. Today (and our league position generally) show that we don't do it nearly enough.

Now of course, lest it need to be spelled out, we don't deserve, nor do any of us expect, us to win every game 4-0. But we've shown, once or twice this season, that we can piss all over most teams in this league. But we repeatedly don't and that's why we're still fucking here.

It's similar to our first season back at this level. Yes, getting the points total we did was all very well and good. But it wasn't good enough was it? And this season, yes we've gone on a few good runs, and we got a big win on Tuesday but in the scheme of things it hasn't been enough, has it?

People will point to the fact that we've won twice in the week preceding today's game and rightly so, it's a valid point. But in a sense that's what's been so wrong with our stay at this level. We showed on Tuesday what we can do against teams at this level. Today (and our league position generally) show that we don't do it nearly enough.

Now of course, lest it need to be spelled out, we don't deserve, nor do any of us expect, us to win every game 4-0. But we've shown, once or twice this season, that we can piss all over most teams in this league. But we repeatedly don't and that's why we're still fucking here.

It's similar to our first season back at this level. Yes, getting the points total we did was all very well and good. But it wasn't good enough was it? And this season, yes we've gone on a few good runs, and we got a big win on Tuesday but in the scheme of things it hasn't been enough, has it?
Same team , same formation ,same tactics ,similar opposition.
Now tell me why that is Cloughs fault and not some players who for me are letting the club down badly.

Now tell me why that is Cloughs fault and not some players who for me are letting the club down badly.

Tell me where I used the name 'Clough' anywhere in my post. Or even referred to the manager at all.

Clough signed nearly all of them , Clough picks them, Clough has around 30 alternatives, Clough picks the tactics, nuff said.
Try not to goad me in ,Ive said I don't want to get involved ,we will never agree on anything ,I don't want an infraction so don't bother.

Are you saying the 3 subs that were made were good ones? Does Clough not have any responsibility in today's defeat?

Last Saturday we beat Port Vale. Could have drawn, could have lost. Pretty typical of most home games this season. Could be said we were a bit fortunate.

Tuesday and one of the best performances of the season. We started with high tempo, got a couple of goals and could afford to let Scunthorpe 'come on to us'. They left gaps and we picked another couple of goals off. Possibly papered over a few cracks (two penalties etc.) but it would be churlish to criticise a very good performance and result.

Today. I'm not going to go into detail - I'm sure many people will have said enough. But this is the stark (and obvious) difference. As on Tuesday, we started off with the same tempo and attacking intent as Tuesday. However this time we went behind. And this illustrated our perennial problem. Go behind and we're utterly clueless how to break the opposition down. Nothing to do with the other team 'parking the bus', nothing to do with time-wasting, bobbly pitch, gusty wind or pitifully late and ineffective substitutions.

Not only do the players lack the nous to overcome these tactics (away teams go in front and then defend. Who'd have thunk it?) but the 'technical staff' seem unable to influence our 'style' of play. Sideways. Backwards. Pretty, going-nowhere patterns. And then the 'killer ball' or, in our case a wild hoof forward or a floated ball/cross that is meat and drink to defenders.

Clough said it was Murphys fault and a bad pitch that did for us today! Tbh if that's his full assessment of our problems we're fooked.

Third game in a week, coming to the end of the season, he needs to freshen things up a bit.

Are you saying the 3 subs that were made were good ones? Does Clough not have any responsibility in today's defeat?
All injuries ,personally I agree with Doyle and Done ,but Davies had a mare ,but its easy with hindsight.

Main problem is at the back and no proper centre halves. If we'd had them today, we'd have won 1-0 albeit winning it ugly.

Clough hasn't got the balance of the team right. We've got plenty of nice pretty players but no players with heart, passion or aggression. Put that type of player in x2 at centre half and in centre mid to replace Doyle and we start winning the right to play football (with the nice pretty footballers). It's very basic stuff but it's unbelievable that Clough has got it wrong all season. You can tell from his comments and how his team plays that he doesn't think there are problems in that area of the team.

Back
Top Bottom