Oldham v Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeterNdlovu081

COCK PISS PARTRIDGE
Reaction score
Come with me, back through the fog clad mists of time, to the fixture where it all began.

Saturday 6 August 2011

Oldham 0-2 Sheffield United

48 Maguire
54 Cresswell

1 Simonsen
2 Lowton
3 Jean-Francois
15 Collins
19 Maguire
4 Montgomery
8 Doyle
11 Flynn
28 Quinn
17 Cresswell
21 Porter

25 Long
7 Mendez-Laing
14 Williamson
10 Bogdanovic
12 Slew

I can see the same result on Saturday to be fair.

Come with me, back through the fog clad mists of time, to the fixture where it all began.

Saturday 6 August 2011

48 Maguire
54 Cresswell

1 Simonsen
2 Lowton
3 Jean-Francois
15 Collins
19 Maguire
4 Montgomery
8 Doyle
11 Flynn
28 Quinn
17 Cresswell
21 Porter

25 Long
7 Mendez-Laing
14 Williamson
10 Bogdanovic
12 Slew

Monty & Doyle in the middle, Cressie & Ports up front, the talent of Boggy NML and Slew on the bench. Truly great days!

Wow, it's weird looking at that team now and thinking how unbalanced the squad was, but in the opposite way to how it is now.

No pace on the wings or up front, but a pretty good looking back line and a couple of hard uns in midfield.

Now we have a strike force too good for this league, and quality down the wings, but a very shakey defence and no steel in midfield.

Frustrating.

Wow, it's weird looking at that team now and thinking how unbalanced the squad was, but in the opposite way to how it is now.

No pace on the wings or up front, but a pretty good looking back line and a couple of hard uns in midfield.

Now we have a strike force too good for this league, and quality down the wings, but a very shakey defence and no steel in midfield.

Frustrating.

Don't forget we scored 92 goals that season and were the highest scoring team in England.

Ched didn't get going until November.

Don't forget we scored 92 goals that season and were the highest scoring team in England.

Aye, forgot about Ched.

Think the way we played post Ched, and the play off final shadowed over how we played the entire season for me.

Would proper fancy us with Maguire and Monty making up the spine of the team right now.

The side for Oldham didn't include KMac and Willo was on the bench. Swap those for Monty and Flynn and Evans for Porter and it was a decent side.

Aye, forgot about Ched.

Think the way we played post Ched, and the play off final shadowed over how we played the entire season for me.

Would proper fancy us with Maguire and Monty making up the spine of the team right now.
Maguire and Willo.

Last time I was at Boundary Park, this was the Blades line-up::)
Alan Kelly
Carl Bradshaw
John Pemberton
Paul Beesley
Brian Gayle
Jamie Hoyland
Paul Rogers
Dane Whitehouse
Mitch Ward
Glyn Hodges
Brian Deane

Last time I was at Boundary Park, this was the Blades line-up::)
Alan Kelly
Carl Bradshaw
John Pemberton
Paul Beesley
Brian Gayle
Jamie Hoyland
Paul Rogers
Dane Whitehouse
Mitch Ward
Glyn Hodges
Brian Deane

They were not a soft touch. Love a Bradders, Hodges type. Nutters but you just what we need at the moment

They were not a soft touch. Love a Bradders, Hodges type. Nutters but you just what we need at the moment

Bradshaw, proper terrace hero, loved watching him get stuck in; in fact I'd say every single member of that team wouldn't budge an inch against anyone!

Incidentally as well at this point of that season we were third in the league however we only had 22pts or something like that so it isn't overly different from where we are now but the difference being we hadn't lost a game, we had drawn about 7 games but hadn't lost. We have probably scored as many goals this season as we had then however our back four are letting the side down so far this season.

Singing "We're all going on a league 1 tour" has come back to bite me in the arse a bit since then.

Saturday 6 August 2011

48 Maguire
54 Cresswell

1 Simonsen
2 Lowton
3 Jean-Francois
15 Collins
19 Maguire
4 Montgomery
8 Doyle
11 Flynn
28 Quinn
17 Cresswell
21 Porter

25 Long
7 Mendez-Laing
14 Williamson
10 Bogdanovic
12 Slew

I was there! I doubt we've had many easier wins since.

Incidentally as well at this point of that season we were third in the league however we only had 22pts or something like that so it isn't overly different from where we are now but the difference being we hadn't lost a game, we had drawn about 7 games but hadn't lost. We have probably scored as many goals this season as we had then however our back four are letting the side down so far this season.

I think that was the following season, when we went unbeaten for a long time.

Would love to see the equivalent of a Hodges style player. On skill alone he'd bring the guile we often lack, but as mentioned, that middle where we had a 'take no prisoners' attitude would stiffen everyone's resolve to do well.

Would love to see the equivalent of a Hodges style player.

Isn't Baxter exactly that?

Just as GH was a poor mans TC (i.e one genius game in 5 instead of the 4 in 5), then JB (1 game in 10?) is the lower division model of that.
I could even see him flashing the nut on people or running the length of the sty to slap a pig in true Hodges stylie.

Isn't Baxter exactly that?

Just as GH was a poor mans TC (i.e one genius game in 5 instead of the 4 in 5), then JB (1 game in 10?) is the lower division model of that.
I could even see him flashing the nut on people or running the length of the sty to slap a pig in true Hodges stylie.

Baxter's more of a faux Hodges in my view. Of course it's difficult to compare, but of the two I'd choose Hodges every time. The thing JB has against him is he's only played for a very limited time in the top division, so we may never know just how much he'd be able to accommodate the demands of Prem football. I question whether he'd be able to cope, but who can tell?

I love your imagination regarding Baxter assaulting an opposing player, a real pity then that he's not asserted himself a bit more at this level. The fact that he divides opinion so clearly is interesting, and for myself it reveals that JB is unconvincing as the midfield maestro we'd love to have. A ratio of a few decent games each season isn't sufficient for a place in our first team.

I think we're in agreement here IIYB.

Baxter is nowhere near the quality of Hodges but then we are nowhere near the top division where GH did his work. A figure like Jose (talented, even if it's deeply buried and almost impossible to mine) is the nearest we are going to get to "sublime and lazy with it" that could describe ed Hodges entire career.

Back
Top Bottom