Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

D

Deleted member 1486

Which Bladey Blade pubs (I know, I know, that covers most all of the city centre!) did you drink in that are no longer here? Any Memories?

s21541.jpg

Matilda Tavern (Matilda Street, obviously) - no idea why I put this first as I only went in a couple of times (both times before games). I got the feeling it was an old man's pub, back in the days when I wasn't one :confused:

s22157.jpg

The Pump, back of the Moor - I really liked The Pump, real shitty deal knocking it down for the refurbishment of the moor and then never building the replacement building(s)! Used to pop in during the day and read the paper when other half was shopping, visited loads of times before games, remember watching England v Argentina (when Beckham got sent off) on big (projected?) screens in here, also used to be a nice drop off before diving in the Zing Vaa. Couple of pool tables in the far bit IIRC? It was always busy when I went in (no matter the time of day), like I said; shame.

sheffield_tramwayshotel.JPG

Tramway, London Road - lets just say, the picture above could be considered "post-refurbishment!".:D I walked past here to get to the Lane/home (depending on direction, heading up to Nether Edge), popped in a few times the worse for wear, bit of a dump, frequently a warzone, and completely dead when there wasn't a game on. Not surprised it shut.

Any more??? (I can think of a few but will leave some for others to post).

The Minerva (Which I think is now the Yorkshire Grey) where Stu Beresford and me used to distribute the Bertie Blade News before heading for the strippers at some sort of HoffBrau House I can't remember the name of, then the Pump, then the Whetstone when it was opened and run by the lady who had run the Buccaneer and the Wapentake and finally the Railway Hotel before it became the Ra lwa Hot due to missing letters. God I feel old.

Oh yes, another favourite route was Wheatsheaf at Parkhead, Prince of Wales at Ecclesall, Banner Cross Inn, The very old Pomona or was it the Grey on Ecclesall Road and then the Sportsman. All depended on the 50 and 82 buses at that time.

The Minerva (Which I think is now the Yorkshire Grey) where Stu Beresford and me used to distribute the Bertie Blade News before heading for the strippers at some sort of HoffBrau House I can't remember the name of, then the Pump, then the Whetstone when it was opened and run by the lady who had run the Buccaneer and the Wapentake and finally the Railway Hotel before it became the Ra lwa Hot due to missing letters. God I feel old.

Oh yes, another favourite route was Wheatsheaf at Parkhead, Prince of Wales at Ecclesall, Banner Cross Inn, The very old Pomona or was it the Grey on Ecclesall Road and then the Sportsman. All depended on the 50 and 82 buses at that time.
Nowt wrong with hofbraus used to work in abattoir on cricket Inn road so finished at 12 some days cheap beer and tits out for lads get in !!!!!! ;)

Myrtle Inn at bottom of Myrtle Rd, main entrance on Alexandra Rd, no longer standing and now part of Heeley City Farm.
Crap beer but they were willing to serve 14,15 & 16 year olds in the sixties :)

Used to drink in the Devonshire on Eccy Road. No longer there, was opposite the new Wetherspoons.
We based our football team there when Mick and Greeta (formerly Pheasant) had it ,we were pretty good too.

The Pheasant was much better before it became Barrie's.

Agree about the Yorkshire Grey and Devonshire, 2 cracking pubs that are sadly missed.

For the life of me though I can't place exactly where The Pump was anymore.

I think I'm misrembering too! (Looking at google maps) I was thinking it was where Forbidden Planet currently is, but I think it was on the next corner of Earl Way? (where the market currently is). Shows how often I go down the moor these days :/

The Pheasant was much better before it became Barrie's.

Agree about the Yorkshire Grey and Devonshire, 2 cracking pubs that are sadly missed.

Do you remember the original Earl Grey opposite the Devonshire ,we so nearly got killed there when a driver had a heart attack and crashed through the pub one night seconds after we walked past.
The pump was behind The Moor towards Arundel gate halfway up ,good pub actually. what was the Yorkshire Grey called when it went weird with the dancing girls ?

the lady who had run the Buccaneer and the Wapentake ...

Mrs Marshall as I think she was generally known? She was very forgiving of some of my drunken antics in the Wapentake in the mid 70s when I was young and foolish.

I think I'm misrembering too! (Looking at google maps) I was thinking it was where Forbidden Planet currently is, but I think it was on the next corner of Earl Way? (where the market currently is). Shows how often I go down the moor these days :/

Do you remember the original Earl Grey opposite the Devonshire ,we so nearly got killed there when a driver had a heart attack and crashed through the pub one night seconds after we walked past.
The pump was behind The Moor towards Arundel gate halfway up ,good pub actually. what was the Yorkshire Grey called when it went weird with the dancing girls ?

Cheers both, I can just about remember it now, but had thus thread not started it would have been cast from my memory.

Just goes to show how easy it is to forget things. And for what? An indoor market that has pretty much flopped after 12 months (sad face)

Here's another question for you then. I seem to recall a really old pub on Division Street (opposite side to the Frog) that may now be the Great Gatsby or was a completely separate place. It was the classic old style of a red sign, frosted windows etc.I don't know if it was a Blades pub but I do seem to remember it as a teenager but can't recall the name.

Just remembered the old Red Lion behind the City Hall as well. Not really a Blades pub either but a fantastic pre gig venue.

Which pub was up from the Leadmill- on the corner? Was it the Cambridge?
It was between the Railway Station & The Lane & we use to give it some hammer. It was good boozer on match days....

Several pints of cider in The Albert on Division Street...then race down t'Moor and get on Shoreham just as they started playing 'Rose Garden'.

Well, we were underage and they'd serve us young lads from Donny in The Albert.

Back
Top Bottom