Old Bastards only

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grecian2000

Borderline mentalist.
Reaction score
Amongst the cunts (don't you just hate 'em)
OK, in light of a post I've just read about turning 30 and still having heroes here's a tester for the "older" element (well anyone who is older than any of the squad).

Who was the last player to play for Sheffield United who was born before you?

I suspect I won't be alone in having mine as Gordon Cowans who was born October 27 1958, a couple of weeks before me.

I would think Stuart McCall. He is older than me and played for the Blades up to 2005. Cant think of any after that I Had hoped Deano for his 42nd return but he is just younger than me .

I think mine is Ian Bennett, who was born in 1971 and last played in 2009-10.

Gary Speed, also older than me, was on the bench the following season at Hartlepool but didn't come on.

Of the current squad, only Jamal Campbell-Ryce (6/4/83), Neill Collins (2/9/83) and Michael Higdon (also, coincidentally, 2/9/83) are older than me. Realistically, unless we sign a 33 year old at the end of the season this is going to be the last one with a Blades player older than me in the squad as I doubt those three will be around next year.

OK, in light of a post I've just read about turning 30 and still having heroes here's a tester for the "older" element (well anyone who is older than any of the squad).

Who was the last player to play for Sheffield United who was born before you?

I suspect I won't be alone in having mine as Gordon Cowans who was born October 27 1958, a couple of weeks before me.

Any idea of where to find list of birth dates for past players? As far back as Foulkes in my case :)

I'm sandwiched between Sir Bobby Campbell and Sir Keith...
Not a bad vintage :)

Of the current squad, only Jamal Campbell-Ryce (6/4/83), Neill Collins (2/9/83) and Michael Higdon (also, coincidentally, 2/9/83) are older than me. Realistically, unless we sign a 33 year old at the end of the season this is going to be the last one with a Blades player older than me in the squad as I doubt those three will be around next year.

FUCKING GET THAT HAMMOND DEAL OVER THE LINE YOO NITED!!! Do you really want this fella's oldest player to be Michael chuffing Higdon?

Any idea of where to find list of birth dates for past players? As far back as Foulkes in my case :)

Wiki is a good bet if you have a player in mind.

I just happened to know from there being an article in a program when he played for us and I realised, there and then, he would be the last played older than me I'd ever watch playing for us (as he was so old at the time). It was quite a sobering experience.

Simon stainrod b. Feb 59
3 months older than me and a very good player imo

Richard Cresswell was the last player older than me to represent the Blades.

I think mine is Ian Bennett, who was born in 1971 and last played in 2009-10.

Gary Speed, also older than me, was on the bench the following season at Hartlepool but didn't come on.

Took a bit of working out but same for me. Bennett's DOB - October 10, 1971 (age 44).

Neil Collins on Saturday.

On a side note, whilst checking for the answer to this thread, I discovered that Neil Collins and Michael Higdon were born on the same day.

Scratch that
It's cowans
Oops..maths ain't my strong point

Dane Whitehouse was the first player younger than me to play for the first team. Gary Speed was the last one older than me.

Will look when I get home. Am struggling to think of who were born in the first 3 months of 1962

The first player younger than me to play for us would be one of the crop that included Sharp, Squinny, Forte etc. I think as I'm just a little younger than the Tonge, Jags and Monty crop.

Sabella's a bit older than me

and Steve Faulkener.

Steve Thompson is probably the last one younger than me that played.

Probably Laurent D'Jaffo who was born on 5th November 1970.
I thought I did well to work it out, thinking of players who played for us around 2001 in their 30's.

Probably Keith Edwards or Mel Eves, whoever played for us most recently.

Can't edit my previous comment but Gary Speed played for us much later (to 2010) but is nearly 2 years older than me so technically it's Speedo - happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom