Not a Ched post!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Going up

Reaction score
Rather a "good behaviour", or "golden opportunity" post.

The Christian in me, believes in second chances. For sure, I am grateful for many of them. However, the other part of me says that professional footballers are given such a golden opportunity in life and such a blessed life that they really should treasure it, or be replaced.

Football is littered with players that make stupid choices and blow the chances they have been given. Even in the Blades recent history, Ched and to a lesser extent, Marc McNulty, have let themselves and the club down.

Some may argue with me on MM, but if he went for a quiet meal, I doubt that he would be injured. Then he would be playing for us right now.

There are a million kids in England that would die to play for a team as big and as wonderful as the Blades. Those playing for the Blades have been given an extraordinary opportunity and should value it as much.

As a businessman, managing over 50 world class athletes, I can sympathize with Nigel. If you notice, those that are getting discouraged, he encourages...Basham and McEveley were good examples. Those that are getting cockey, he urges improvement and more discipline. Athletes need to be proud, confident and cockey in their chosen arena, but they also need a fanatical discipline if they want to be truly successful.

I'm just glad that we have a thoroughly professional manager like Cloughy that keeps nagging some and encouraging others and exhorts all of them to be all that they can be.

Morally though the current system abuses hundreds of players who are plucked from regular playing and wasted on benches, such as Harry
I find football morally bereft , as money forces some of the best players to continually miss out

http://www.sporcle.com/games/emjayyellow/premiership-benchwarmers

the top 6 together have over 1000 appearances on a bench

Last edited:
I asked for that Wiz, but I truly believe with Higs out, he would have been playing, at the very least for 20 minutes:)

I think the main issue here is not the Ched Evens case, it's the frightening fact that the faceless men in the media have once more controlled public opinion ....

I call on Ms Hatchet (the ultimate nameless/faceless person) to take SandyMcBlade to task for leaving out the word "women" when describing the media.

We need a 157K petition against SandyMcBlade EVER being able to post on here again - we should send him to Wigan.;)

UTB

"As a Christian" then...let's just take your first couple of lines...

"The Christian in me, believes in second chances. For sure, I am grateful for many of them. However, the other part of me says that professional footballers are given such a golden opportunity in life and such a blessed life that they really should treasure it, or be replaced."

So, like most of the anti-ched you 'believe in second chances', but if they are 'blessed' (I guess you mean financially and by having the ability and application to make it as pro footballer? ) by 'God' I presume...(the Christian god? the very same one that killed his own son to prove a point?') they should be 'replaced'. (wtf?)

Yet another self-righteous 'soul' who believes second chances are 'right' for themselves, and having taken advantage of them 'many times' would like to deny others the same opportunity to do so..? i.e.: those that are 'more privileged' or in your opinion 'blessed'

No wonder people say 'Jesus wept'...Think on young man...

Esablade, it reslly is not that difficult.

Footballers are given an opportunity that many would die for. An opportunity that many never have. They should be professional and cherish that opportunity.

I believe in second chances for all, but if you screw up badly enough, there is not always a second chance. It' s not that I'm against it. That's just the way life works.

Esablade, it reslly is not that difficult.

Footballers are given an opportunity that many would die for. An opportunity that many never have. They should be professional and cherish that opportunity.

I believe in second chances for all, but if you screw up badly enough, there is not always a second chance. It' s not that I'm against it. That's just the way life works.

Well, you're right about one thing. It really is not that difficult to spot a hypocrite.
On your own 'Christian' terms..would Jesus say 'forgiveness is for all..but not if you screw up badly enough'?

On a seperate note, I'm not a Christian. I don't believe footballers are 'given' an opportunity by some unknown deity, as you imply.

They earn that opportunity through years of hard work and talent...this idea that it's just handed on a plate through 'providence' has been a big factor of what's wrong with the Ched-haters IMO

Well, you're right about one thing. It really is not that difficult to spot a hypocrite.
you talking about charlie webster ??????????????????????????????????????? :rolleyes:

On your own 'Christian' terms..would Jesus say 'forgiveness is for all..but not if you screw up badly enough'?

On a seperate note, I'm not a Christian. I don't believe footballers are 'given' an opportunity by some unknown deity, as you imply.

They earn that opportunity through years of hard work and talent...this idea that it's just handed on a plate through 'providence' has been a big factor of what's wrong with the Ched-haters IMO

I would imagine like most of us during the course of your normal day be it with your family, work colleagues, friends you uphold Christain values.

Similarly like many of us you cannot quite use the word 'Christian' to describe yourself. Why's that then?

Culturally, to some degree, due to the very fact of being born in the UK, I have a Christian heritage which I share with many other's in the UK.
However, this is not by choice and it is one I reject, hence why I would not call myself 'a Christian'...I don't 'follow Christ'...'I don't believe'.

As I'm sure you're aware, "Christian values" as you call them are shared by many faiths in the world and were in fact appropriated from previous religions/beliefs that existed long before 'Christianity' appeared as a belief system.
Furthermore these 'values' are not exclusive to Christianity or religion for that matter (as much as many Christians would appear to claim so)...so I find your question a little beguiling...what is your point?

Last edited:
I would imagine like most of us during the course of your normal day be it with your family, work colleagues, friends you uphold Christain values.

Similarly like many of us you cannot quite use the word 'Christian' to describe yourself. Why's that then?

This is easily addressed. Remove christian from the discussion.

Religion often works on the premise that it has a monopoly on virtue. That betrays arrogance and intellectual laziness. As for your question about why the difficulty in using the word christian, well I'm not a christian so why use the term to signify something I choose not to believe in? This arrogance is upheld by the fact that countries who go to war do it in the belief that they have their god in their pocket. Pity the poor sods who get blown to smithereens on behalf of these governments aren't protected by this deity, but perhaps god was a little too busy quantifying the accolades that are showered on him/her.

I find all of this tiresome and wearying. I'd acknowledge an individual's right to follow whatever belief system that suits their personality, but I'm more than happy to evade the pleas of these religions that they are have answers to life's grey areas that the other religions struggle to provide. Spirituality, for this is what we're discussing, means many things to many people. For myself none of this is based on what some hope to find, a mystical set of building bricks that create the foundation for their life. If this works for them then I hope they manage to forge some sort of relationship with their god, but I doubt life has the depth of mysticism that any of this alludes to. Our reasons for existence aren't that complicated. Of course they're personal, but they also revolve around a set of basics, harmony, to love and be loved, to find pleasure wherever it might present itself, to work alongside others, to contribute in ways that are based on healthy positives, not to impose ourselves on others, to let those close to us know we care for them, and so on, there, not complicated is it?.....Thing is, my time isn't dedicated to what else I can do or am here for. There is a flipside to all of this, and in simple terms I think it can best be described as having personal issues, in short, depression. But that's another conversation.......but I've strayed, apologies for going off on a tangent.

Back
Top Bottom