Northampton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Starting XI : Long, Davies, McGahey, Butler, Nditi, Campbell-Ryce, McGinn, Doyle, Reed, Crawford, Porter.

Subs: Howard, Alcock, Harris, Basham, Scougall, Baxter, McDonagh, Maguire, Dimaio, Paling.

Collins, Diego, Murphy, Flynn, McNulty and James Wallace all missing

Looks very much like we're giving the reserves a run out, and from what NIGE said after Burton and that line up, i'm thinking Diego could have a big part in the first team next year.:D

Thoughts?

All looks rather pointless or shall I say toothless to me. All a bit meh. We started playing friendlies after everyone else and I am struggling to see how our first 11, whatever that is, is going to be up to speed for Bristol City. Just my two penneth.

All looks rather pointless or shall I say toothless to me. All a bit meh. We started playing friendlies after everyone else and I am struggling to see how our first 11, whatever that is, is going to be up to speed for Bristol City. Just my two penneth.

Early days.

Clough said one team would get 70 mins this match and the others get 70 mins against Dundee. After that i'd guess we'll be playing our strongest sides against Udders, Fener and York so plenty of time yet. UTB

We only have 4 more friendlies after tonight. Considering that the Uddersfield and Fenerbache game are 2 days apart so nobody is going to play in them both. That leaves 3 games. Early days as you say but I struggle to see the logic.

Clough said one team would get 70 mins this match and the others get 70 mins against Dundee. After that i'd guess we'll be playing our strongest sides against Udders, Fener and York so plenty of time yet. UTB

Thanks S4, not listened to radio so didn't know he said that.

Got to agree with you there, unless the players missing have injuries or are somewhat unfit why aren't they there?

Big admirer of what Clough has done with us so far but I am not at all sure what his pre season plan is, we were back late and now we seem to have thrown away the first two pre season games where we could have started to Gel the new players in.

As said above not many more opportunities remain to get it right before we start the new season with a six pointer.

I'm guessing there will be a couple of 'behind doors' games, if the boss feels we're lacking...I'm also guessing that the lads are doing a hell of a lot of fitness work at this moment, from what Nigel said.

One last point is, a lot of these lads are pushing for a place in the first team squad and we're having a good look at them.

UTB!

Only thing I'm slightly worried about at the minute is the fitness of James Wallace. He's not got a great recent history with injuries, and for him not to be involved in any games yet is a concern. That said, it's the one area of the pitch where we have ample cover.

Only thing I'm slightly worried about at the minute is the fitness of James Wallace. He's not got a great recent history with injuries, and for him not to be involved in any games yet is a concern. That said, it's the one area of the pitch where we have ample cover.

I think they may be holding him back. He didn't have a proper pre-season last year so I imagine if Clough's 'training' is that hard then they might be holding him back (hopefully). Concerned if he hasn't played by udders or Fenerbache mind.

Flynn, McNulty and Wallace have all been out because of knocks/injuries. Well documented. It's pretty normal for the first few pre-season friendlies to mix or match players (especially when so many weren't here last season) so they get a run out to let the manager/coaching staff assess them, to increase their fitness levels and so they all get to know each other football wise. The last games before the season starts it is then normal, injuries allowing, to play the expected starting X1 so they can build up understanding. If you don't realise that you must have been following Mars United :). Stop panicking for Christ sake, enjoy the sunshine and trust those in charge who know what they're doing.

Nditi?..anybody know much about this lad...another on trial I suppose.

Obviously some on here think they know better than the manager and coaches .. All ex professionals. ...
For gods sake lol I bet half of you don't know your left boot from your right. .
Got to scrutinise and moan about everything about sufc?

Obviously some on here think they know better than the manager and coaches .. All ex professionals. ...
For gods sake lol I bet half of you don't know your left boot from your right. .

Sorry, are we not allowed opinions?

Just looked at his profile...played mainly at Left Back but can play attacking midfield.
1-0 Davis.

Maybe we should freeze the whole forum and watermark every page with "in Clough we trust"?

UTB

Until he proves otherwise that's good enough for me. Take your point however.

Firstly in my opinion these pure season games are for fitness and that's about it. The team will gel in training as much as in a game. Secondly if you were to take the Burton game as seriously as some have you would be looking for eleven new players. Finally and most importantly the Manager (for once) seems to have a plan and is going about his business professionally but quietly. I can only talk for myself but I like that about him.

Whereas you come across as such an expert.......

Obviously Nigel Clough has done many pre seasons before, he knows what he's doing. All very well saying oh we've started pre season after everyone else, not everyone had 46 games in the league plus a very long cup run so maybe the extra rest will do the players some good. Keep the faith.

Last night's match at Sixfields was all a bit on the quiet side, the Blades following was very laid back and the team didn't seem much livelier. Thankfully, Butler looked more assured than at Burton and I think he is going to prove a solid centre back, McGahey made a few mistakes in distribution but you can see the potential. Davies started at right back but within about 5 minutes swapped to left midfield and then had a pretty decent game, including delivering a great ball for our goal. The change came about after Crawford picked up a knock and departed, replaced by Paling who played right back, and looked better than at Burton where he got the runaround, pity about Crawford I would have liked to have seen more of him.

The rest of the midfield, McGinn, JCR and Doyle was workmanlike in a pretty even contest. Louis Reed showed some lovely touches playing off Porter without looking like scoring and Porter did what he usually does when he starts, very little. The trialist at left back looked mobile and quite lively but pretty wet behind the ears. The changes came in threes from about the hour mark, unlike the distinct improvement in performance that occurred at Burton in the second half United didn't really kick on this time. Alcock impressed most, playing centre half this time next to Maguire, starting to think we've got a good'un with him and I think in terms of performance if not in cult following he has a chance of filling the boots of Mr Brayford. The other new boy who's starting to make an impression on me is Basham, he gets forward, clearly knows his job in the middle, he also has more of a physical presence which is something we have lacked for a while in midfield.

Long looked pretty assured and in the 2 warm ups and matches I've seen he looks ahead of Howard, not sure about this Loan business... Didn't get a clear view of the penalty incident though.

No Geronimo last night which was a pity I wanted to see more after the promise at Burton.

Biggest problem still though is the lack of a striker that can capitalise on the decent stuff going on elsewhere. I am starting to worry about this, Porter is hopeless, I think Baxter is great but he doesn't lead the line and the remaining options are kids learning their trade. I hope McNulty comes good but we need to find a physical, pacey goal machine from somewhere pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Definitely feel that we need another striker, even if McNulty is the business if he misses games it leaves us short. Baxter behind a quality striker could be a great attacking option.

Last night we looked a lot more composed than Saturday. Mistake for the panalty aside I'd hope we are still intending Howard to be first choice keeper, Long is a great keeper but must work on his decision making and communication. You can hear Howard talking to the defence from the stands, I never really seem to hear Long and I believe a keeper needs to marshal the defence rigidly, as like centre halves they are in a good position to read the game.

Nhiti was unspectacular at best, looks more comfortable going forward but very shakes defensively. Perhaps needs a bit more game time to get used to the side.

Not sure I will be able to make the next pre season game but it'd expect to see another step up in quality from us, much like last night (however muted) was a step up from Burton. Keep this upward curve going and I'm sure we'll be in the right shape for Bristol City when they come.

Back
Top Bottom