Nigel Clough so far

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
What are everyones thoughts on him so far?

I think he is doing a decent job. We look a better side, more organised and disciplined and results have been improved in recent weeks.

I have had a look at the League tables this morning to see how far off the play offs we are as there is always a side who makes a late run to get in the play offs, and its 14 points with 26 games left which is a huge ask and i don't think we will get that far up the table but i think he has it in us to get us in the top 10 and create some momentum to give us a good platform for a promotion push next season.

Im also starting to think that when it comes to the managerial merry go round we got rid of an underperforming manager at exactly the right time and made a move for the right man who was available for the first time in years.

I agree with most of that. We looked very well organised on Sat'di, if completely bereft of goalscoring ideas. Swindon are doing alright this season, but never looked like scoring. I'm sure this season is damage limitation at first, see where we can push on to if we get clear of danger, then set it all up for next season. I'm completely confident we've got the right man.

We're not getting in the playoffs.

I think he is doing a decent job. We look a better side, more organised and disciplined and results have been improved in recent weeks.

I have had a look at the League tables this morning to see how far off the play offs we are as there is always a side who makes a late run to get in the play offs, and its 14 points with 26 games left which is a huge ask and i don't think we will get that far up the table but i think he has it in us to get us in the top 10 and create some momentum to give us a good platform for a promotion push next season.

Im also starting to think that when it comes to the managerial merry go round we got rid of an underperforming manager at exactly the right time and made a move for the right man who was available for the first time in years.

We would basically need to average at least 2 points a game between now and the end of the season - automatic promotion form - to get in the play offs.

I can't see it happening. Weir fucked this season.

We would basically need to average at least 2 points a game between now and the end of the season - automatic promotion form - to get in the play offs.

I can't see it happening. Weir fucked this season.

That is the rule of thumb i use. I always use 90pts as the benchmark for automatic promotion discounting the odd freak season where it isn't enough. Then divide the number of points required to get to 90 by the number of games remaining and if the number is greater than 2 then we face a tough task and if it is lesser than 2 then the better the chances.

For the play offs i would say the benchmark is 75pts so we need 55pts from the remaining 26 games which is more than my 2 points a game figure.

Come off it, there's loads of time left in the season yet, get your train tickets and hotels booked for Wembley, it's nailed on. We still won't score though.

You're allowed to think it - but you're not allowed to say it ;)

I agree with most of that. We looked very well organised on Sat'di, if completely bereft of goalscoring ideas. Swindon are doing alright this season, but never looked like scoring.

They did have a couple of chances first half and I think Doyle was lucky not to get sent off, as their player had a free run on goal. I agree we generally looked in control though.

I've said it before but I think he's done an excellent job so far.

Job one: Make us more difficult to beat. Which he's done. Now he just needs to make us more of a threat going forward and we're on the right track. I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a clearout he has in the summer with the amount of contracts that are due to expire.

Nigel Clough is the type of Manager our club has desperately needed since Warnock left; not big names (Robson, Weir) or big noise (Blackwell, Adams). He comes across an astute, quietly confident type of guy which also means fans are right behind him, I know I am.

Don't let what is happening now be understated. He is doing a superb job in turning a squad with a defeatist attitude into a resilient team that is picking up results.

I think he's doing the job we all thought he would do tighten up a good defence , defend as a team attack as a team , but I think the corparation have jumped the gun naming a street after him near the lane , wait till we get promotion at least .:)

He's proven that it was possible to make these players perform at least like a mid table team, something a lot of posters didn't think.

He started by setting us up ultra defensively, and at least he recognised the need to clarify player roles and simplify the playing style, which was probably needed after the mess Weir had got us into.

The Swindon game was the first where he selected a pretty attacking line up, while still making the players work hard defensively (he's not going to let them get away with sloppiness). I though it was an ok game, but it was by no means convincing.

The slightly disappointing thing for me was that, although I think the team selection was a step in the right direction, Maybe goalkeeper apart, I'm not confident that any part of that team is now 'settled' for the long term.

Full backs - McMahon is out of contract in the summer. White is on loan.

Centre halves - Did well against Swindon, but overall haven't been great this season and their lack of pace means we should be looking for another option.

Wingers - Flynn is out of contract in the summer and still doesn't show enough offensively to warrant a new deal. Murphy is showing some signs of his potential.

Central midfield - Coady is only on loan and should have done more to impress on Saturday. Doyle is surely in his last season as first choice. Clough has used a few different partners for him already.

Front two - Baxter and Porter together means we lack pace and a real goalscorer. It remains to be seen if Baxter can remain an option up front, or that Clough will let him play just behind one or two strikers in his favoured role.

They did have a couple of chances first half and I think Doyle was lucky not to get sent off, as their player had a free run on goal. I agree we generally looked in control though.

Thanks for that, Bergen. That game could have gone either way, agree Doyle could have been sent off and the late pen/dive falls firmly into the 'I've seen them given' camp.

I've accepted that we'll have the fourth crap season in a row and, barring some spectacular dealings in the JTW, think the play-offs would be a disaster if we made it up to the Champ. Just as it would have been embarrassing if we'd gone up last season, the Champ. is a fierce division. The gap gets wider between that league and ours every season, and I'd like to see us 'boss' this division - hopefully next season - so we'd be prepared for the step up.

Thanks for that, Bergen. That game could have gone either way, agree Doyle could have been sent off and the late pen/dive falls firmly into the 'I've seen them given' camp.

I've accepted that we'll have the fourth crap season in a row and, barring some spectacular dealings in the JTW, think the play-offs would be a disaster if we made it up to the Champ. Just as it would have been embarrassing if we'd gone up last season, the Champ. is a fierce division. The gap gets wider between that league and ours every season, and I'd like to see us 'boss' this division - hopefully next season - so we'd be prepared for the step up.

Disagree, we have the cash to completely overhaul the squad if we went up. Think we'd have a decent chance of staying there.

The biggest achievement of his reign so far is that the prospect of relegation is slowly disappearing to be replaced about thoughts of mid table and a decent run to give us some motivation to have a real crack at this division next season.

In Clough we trust

Nigel Clough is the type of Manager our club has desperately needed since Warnock left; not big names (Robson, Weir) or big noise (Blackwell, Adams). He comes across an astute, quietly confident type of guy which also means fans are right behind him, I know I am.

Don't let what is happening now be understated. He is doing a superb job in turning a squad with a defeatist attitude into a resilient team that is picking up results.

It's an academic point, DD'J, but I'd suggest Nigel Clough is a bigger name in football than David Weir?

I've no doubt at all that Our Nige, backed (as he will be, whatever the cynics might say) by HRH, will build us a very fine [proper] football team and Yes, back to the Premier League. As I always say, however, patience will be required.

It goes without saying, of course, that I would much prefer my hero, David Weir, and yearn for his second coming.
;)

Oh, and Jim Phipps for Managing Director, please. He's great.

A school report for Clough so far would be a B +.

Weir wouldn't have got a Z -

For me, if we avoid relegation, Nigel Clough will have been a success. (Demonstrates my low expectations).

Every single position higher in this League will be a bonus.

I've always believed that a Manager needs a "closed season" to establish HIS team.

I'm really looking forward to next season and beyond, and I'd be more than happy if Nigel is our Manager in 10 years time.

(If I'm still around to see it).

Back
Top Bottom