New striker thoughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

him behind you

Reaction score
This is in no way a pop at Cloughie who is doing exactly what he needs to to keep us in a really good position to make a promotion push (although I'd prefer to be in Bristol's current position of course) but.........

There appears to be a majority of supporters who believe that we still need at least one striker to really challenge the top two. We're currently limited to making a loan signing which probably suggests someone who is not currently making regular appearances - but does anyone really believe we can attract anyone? The reason I ask is that if you were a striker looking to get game time for whatever reason, would you sign for a club who's manager, appears to prefer to play with this false number nine? Maybe Cloughie believes it's the only way to play with the current squad but, personally, I'm worried that it will affect our ability to sign anyone. We will concede against better teams and without at least one striker on the pitch, we won't hand the fire power to beat them. I'd actually be happy to see McNutts given a run before signing anyone.

Would love to hear Cloughie ' thoughts.

There's a young Italian U-19 international at York who's scored 2 in 3 games now. Could be worth a look, can't remember what he's called though, got some fancy name.

Diego seems to be doing well at York.
Is it time for him to be given a chance?

That Jonathon Forte at Oldham looks a good bet, 10 goals in 12 appearances ;) Just goes to show you never can tell with any striker whether he's going to fit in and score goals for you.

Let's hope so JD. This lad has so much promise and talent, i'd love to see him become a regular for The Blades.

I think this is what has been needed.

Its hard for NC. He HAs to get us promoted & with that pressure comes the burden of the youngsters.

Diego has shown promise but has a long way to go to get in NCs plans. Only by scoring regularly in the league & getting minutes can he do this. Its looking like this loan spell will be good for him. Lets hope he comes back firing on all cylinders. At the opposite end is Longs spell. I can see the only benefit to this being the - 'look were you could end up if you dont pull your finger out' angle being factered in.

The way we are playing I'm actually a little more chilled out than before about the striker situation...(so long as we keep winning, funny that :D )

Mcnulty has produced some good finishes already, in my wildest dreams (well, not my wildest, but you know, football related) Diego comes back from his loan and cements a starting place and is "THEE" striker who get's the goals...Hippo will always chip in with a few...(skinny fries, natch!)

...and then there's always the return of the Ched isn't there!?!?!?

P.S-where's Porter!!!!

If we do go up this year, will Diego be ready to be part of a Championship squad? I think it's a big challenge for him ultimately to play a part in our promotion (hopefully), or he could be struggling to feature for the first team at a higher level and need more loan time in League One.

Dare I say it, could he end up being Billy Sharp II?

Not if he comes back tougher and better prepared. Clough has shown with Reed and HM2 that age is meaningless if you perform.
Exactly!!!So when has Diego had a good run in the team like the two mentioned?

Clough has his favourites,just like any other manager,but it's quite clear to me that Diego isn't one of them and i find that a real shame as he has real quality.I say this because what's Clough's record like when he sends players on loan,from my memory they get ditched and are never in his plans:(What a cracking prospect and i hope Cloughy proves me wrong,i really do.

No doubt Diego has a huge amount of talent but given that NC has used several other youngsters in front of him (most of which look cracking prospects but not many with Diego's technical ability IMO), there must be something. Maybe there's an attitude problem stemming from being an Italian international? I'm not saying there is but if there was then would NC be doing anything different to what his dad would have? Just a thought.

As an aside, I really hope he grows from the loan spell and comes back showing that he can't be left out. Given the type of player Barcelona have had as a false number 9 (a certain quick, skillful, small guy called Messi), maybe Diego will be the answer to NC's problem.

J Garner at Preston would fit in nicely wed piss it then but dont think theyd let him go , thats the real problem quality is hard to find available, the lad at Chesterfield suddenly gone quiet

There's a young Italian U-19 international at York who's scored 2 in 3 games now. Could be worth a look, can't remember what he's called though, got some fancy name.
probaqbly saw the sitter he missed in the last minute , needs game time will be a star,,, one day soon

J Garner at Preston would fit in nicely wed piss it then but dont think theyd let him go , thats the real problem quality is hard to find available, the lad at Chesterfield suddenly gone quiet

Think you're correct blade too long, Garner's on fire at the moment and his valuation has continued to rise. Looks a hungry, predatory, scorer that could play in a better team. Is that us? Not sure, but he's certainly one to watch, if not consider (even though we don't appear interested in anyone with a large fee attached). The other player I return to is Bournemouth's Wilson. Having moved clubs, he's shown he's a decent player and not just a flash in the pan. Sharp, anticipatory, and must be murder for any defender to try and contain.

There is no way either Wilson or Garner would join us this season. Best we can hope for is an inform league 2 striker or someone needing to get some fitness after injury which in itself is a risk

Think you're correct blade too long, Garner's on fire at the moment and his valuation has continued to rise. Looks a hungry, predatory, scorer that could play in a better team. Is that us? Not sure, but he's certainly one to watch, if not consider (even though we don't appear interested in anyone with a large fee attached). The other player I return to is Bournemouth's Wilson. Having moved clubs, he's shown he's a decent player and not just a flash in the pan. Sharp, anticipatory, and must be murder for any defender to try and contain.

We could have signed him ( Wilson ) last season if McCabe didn't have such short arms and long pockets. Just the sort of player we need now .....
UTB & FTP

Looking for a quality striker in the loan window is a waste of time. Anyone who's any good will not be available. No one is going to loan out a natural goal scorer. The loan window should be used to find players that can cover for injury, not to find key players because almost all of the time you won't find one.

I would rather the club didn't bother and actually for once spent some money in the January window.....the month where you can get a quality player but have to pay over the odds for it because you didn't do it in the summer.

There is no way either Wilson or Garner would join us this season. Best we can hope for is an inform league 2 striker or someone needing to get some fitness after injury which in itself is a risk

Rotherham tried to sign Garner in the summer but PNE wanted too much money apparently.

We could have signed him ( Wilson ) last season if McCabe didn't have such short arms and long pockets. Just the sort of player we need now .....
UTB & FTP

We were quoted £2m last season and he went for £3m over the summer, which is money we just can't justify spending while we're in League One.

What we should be doing is looking what Peterborough do: their striker purchases over the last three seasons have been mainly outstanding: Assombalonga (£1m Watford, sold to Forest for £5.5m), Dwight Gayle (£500k Dagenham & Redbridge, sold to Palace for £6m), Conor Washington (£500k from Newport) or Luke James (£750k from Hartlepool). All of those have been superb signings.

Rotherham tried to sign Garner in the summer but PNE wanted too much money apparently.

Why would Garner leave a league 1 club to join another that is below them in the table? The only way he would leave Preston is for a Championship club or higher.

Why would Garner leave a league 1 club to join another that is below them in the table? The only way he would leave Preston is for a Championship club or higher.

Steve Evans said he enquired about Garner in the summer and they couldn't make the move happen. Garner would want decent money to lure him away from Preston it seems.

The name of the game at this moment in time is resolving the defensive issues which Mt Clough appears to be on course , with no goals conceded in the last 3 games . ( Basham seems a completely different player ) . I think the problem is that goals win matches , but not letting them in gives you a better chance of not losing . We are creating a boat load of chances ,and i feel the signing of a good experienced CF , would alleviate a tremendous amount of pressure and nervousness amongst the players . It would also help in strengthening the mentality of the players and make a big statement to all rival teams , that the blades mean business. It not just about kicking a ball , the team with mental and psychological strength will gain promotion.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom