NA's interviews

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

him behind you

Reaction score
Something I've noted recently so just thought I'd raise this for discussion - if anyone else is interested.

When we appointed NA, I seem to remember a Southampton fan (I think it was) coming on here and basically telling us something alone the lines of we'd got a cracking manager but we might get a bit tired of his interviews because he often says the same thing in them.

I'm sure most of us will have seen that given the level of interest and the number of posts we were all involved with regarding managers at the time and none of us gave a damn because we were just happy with the appointment.

One question I would ask, therefore, is "Why do so many of us now pick on this trait and moan about him when things aren't going well?" For me, there are more important things to worry about such as poor performances, motivation and mental strength of certain individuals etc. we could complain about and question rather than picking on personal traits which is really just taking the piss out of him isn't it?

We were warned what we'd get and personally I would prefer this with better on field entertainment (which admittedly is still work in progress) than the NC approach which I thought were more interesting interviews but damn awful performances to watch.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Crash Davis: It's time to work on your interviews.

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My interviews? What do I gotta do?

Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.

Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

No interest in any manager's press conferences tbh. Everyone knows the media is waiting for a manager to say something they can use against him so managers are trained not to say anything remotely controversial.
Complete waste of time.

Couldn't agree more Bushy.

Managers (more often than not ex-players) are about as interesting as a Korma in a curry house.

Pre match they're not going to "give anything away" and post match they're not going to say anything that isn't just a stream of excuses (if explaining a poor result) or cliches/platitudes. Why anyone hangs on their every word just astonishes me.
If you've seen the match you should have a decent idea of what's gone on, if you haven't read some newspaper reports from people who actually string sentences together for a living.

Football is popular therefore 'newsworthy' + media desperately need more 'popular' content to satiate their advertisers=24 hour rolling bollocks down a slushy football-y hill.

No interest in any manager's press conferences tbh. Everyone knows the media is waiting for a manager to say something they can use against him so managers are trained not to say anything remotely controversial.
Complete waste of time.
Agree totally Bushy. I personally pay little attention so I struggle to see why some of us get so wound up.

Always think positive Nige appears to forget the question halfway through his replies......so he defaults to his stock answers.

Though its always good to know that the players we have area Hard working professionals and I think we can all agree that we dont like losing Football matches. :)

Agree totally Bushy. I personally pay little attention so I struggle to see why some of us get so wound up.

I used to despair of Warnock's post match drivel. It was often embarrassing disingenuous.

A manger should back his players but be honest enough to say if the performance was lacking. Otherwise the fans end up thinking he's a clown who can't see beyond the nose on his face. Which is anatomically plausible in Warnock's case. :)

Adkins is so on-message he'll never annoy us by saying spurious things, but rather by saying a lot nothingness and sound bites. Which is fine by me.

I used to despair of Warnock's post match drivel. It was often embarrassing disingenuous.

A manger should back his players but be honest enough to say if the performance was lacking. Otherwise the fans end up thinking he's a clown who can't see beyond the nose on his face. Which is anatomically plausible in Warnock's case. :).

It speaks for itself...
image.jpeg

managers have their own language dont they , cliche speak
one game at a time
we dont look beyong the next fixture
we take the positives out of it
the work rate was excellent
they made it difficult for us
their keeper was world class
we looked to get in behind them
our movement could have been better

Can't understand the fuss. He talks because he has to. He doesn't want to be there. He isn't so self centred as Warnock was to crowbar himself into every conversation.

I'd like him to expand on the new quantum mechanics theory behind what the bloody hell is going on in the black hole at the centre of every Galaxy. Is that too much to ask?

Jeez

I'd like him to expand on the new quantum mechanics theory behind what the bloody hell is going on in the black hole at the centre of every Galaxy. Is that too much to ask?

Jeez
Apparently the black hole is filled with the money wasted by the owners of medium sized football clubs chasing the PL dream, the shattered hopes of their supporters and England's chances of ever winning a major tournament again, in any team sport.

Something I've noted recently so just thought I'd raise this for discussion - if anyone else is interested.

When we appointed NA, I seem to remember a Southampton fan (I think it was) coming on here and basically telling us something alone the lines of we'd got a cracking manager but we might get a bit tired of his interviews because he often says the same thing in them.

I'm sure most of us will have seen that given the level of interest and the number of posts we were all involved with regarding managers at the time and none of us gave a damn because we were just happy with the appointment.

One question I would ask, therefore, is "Why do so many of us now pick on this trait and moan about him when things aren't going well?" For me, there are more important things to worry about such as poor performances, motivation and mental strength of certain individuals etc. we could complain about and question rather than picking on personal traits which is really just taking the piss out of him isn't it?

We were warned what we'd get and personally I would prefer this with better on field entertainment (which admittedly is still work in progress) than the NC approach which I thought were more interesting interviews but damn awful performances to watch.

Anyone have any thoughts?

It's an easy target if you want to bash the club without offering anything constructive?

Related: you'll be part of a crowd who can offer very superficially valid criticism eg he always says the same thing, and there's some comfort in being right - even when it's practically meaningless - and belonging?

Got to say i do find Adkins quite tough to listen to. We all know cliches already and he's only been with us a few months.

He sounds a nice bloke, I do struggle to see how he manages to give a bollocking or to motivate, half time for example.

Adkins: JCR would it be ok if you didn't try to beat your man 6 times and just get the ball in the box
JCR: but i used to play for Notts co
Adkins: yeah I know and I love your spirit, but, if you just tried to beat him three times
JCR: this is ridiculous, you know I don't cross the ball
Adkins: yeah mate, but it would be nice as we have some hard working lads in the team
Collins: for fuck sake Adkins, let him do what he wants or I'll tell Phipps
Adkins: ok lads, yeah, cool, you're all honest hard working lads. We're better together aren't we.

"Che, you've fallen below my disciplinary standards. You're dropped"

"Jay, I know you're captain but I'm leaving you out"

"George, I gave you a chance. You fucked up. I know it's only one game but you're out"

"Billy, why do you follow me everywhere I go? You know I can't motivate players. Just ask those Scunthorpe and Soton lads with medals on their shelves"

Sorry. Swiss, I disagree profoundly. Everything about him tells me he's a great motivator of players. They may have looked funny flying like geese but they were able to celebrate a goal and a win in doing it. Footballers aren't, in general, intellectual giants. Nigel knows how to work the buttons and levers.

"Che, you've fallen below my disciplinary standards. You're dropped"

"Jay, I know you're captain but I'm leaving you out"

"George, I gave you a chance. You fucked up. I know it's only one game but you're out"

"Billy, why do you follow me everywhere I go? You know I can't motivate players. Just ask those Scunthorpe and Soton lads with medals on their shelves"

Sorry. Swiss, I disagree profoundly. Everything about him tells me he's a great motivator of players. They may have looked funny flying like geese but they were able to celebrate a goal and a win in doing it. Footballers aren't, in general, intellectual giants. Nigel knows how to work the buttons and levers.

In some enlightened practitioners motivation has moved on from sticks, carrots*, teacups, and hairdryers.

*Unless the player is a donkey. Oh...hang on.

PS Fwiw I don't think intellect has anything to do with it, but it doesn't surprise me it gets a mention. ;)

In some enlightened practitioners motivation has moved on from sticks, carrots*, teacups, and hairdryers.

*Unless the player is a donkey. Oh...hang on.

PS Fwiw I don't think intellect has anything to do with it, but it doesn't surprise me it gets a mention. ;)

Not everyone's as bright as you Fatty....:)

I have wondered about making a game out of NA's interviews. If we were to bang our heads together and write down all of his cliches ('honest, hardworking professionals/stick it in one end, keep it out of the other etc. etc.), I reckon there'd be enough for a bingo card!

I can't name you a manager I've been genuinely interested in listening to. I just listen for team news and updates. Wilson was the most boring of the lot, simply because of that awful Wigan accent.

Don't bother much listening to them any more, they are boring and give little away and that is fine by me, better that than David Weir's refreshingly honest interviews after each defeat.

Back
Top Bottom