NA "I will give all the players a chance"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lawrence

WF9 Blade
Reaction score
The thing is... At the end of last season some of us seemed to agree that a large % of our squad were not good enough and should be shipped out - NA came in and said he is happy to give ALL the players a chance, So he is now slowly working his way through the players giving them a chance (some get chance after chance after chance) it's like these players who didn't do it last season are somehow good enough to perform better this season?

Being honest and bearing in mind that we are in the 3rd Division - which players could do a job for us and the players you would keep AND WHY?

To be fair Adkins mentioned today something along the lines of "I keep giving these players chances" as if he knows they are never going to be good enough

He must be worried that this set of players are going to end up getting him fired which would be a disaster considering he was seen as one of the brightest young managers in England just a few seasons back. I have no doubt he regrets giving so many of them a chance to prove themselves . At the end of the days it's him who will pay. The players will just steadily go down the leagues picking up wages until they retire.

Adkins is a winner with genuine aspirations to be the best he can possibly be. The team that represents him are a bunch of nobody's who are satisfied with where they are

The thing is... At the end of last season some of us seemed to agree that a large % of our squad were not good enough and should be shipped out - NA came in and said he is happy to give ALL the players a chance, So he is now slowly working his way through the players giving them a chance (some get chance after chance after chance) it's like these players who didn't do it last season are somehow good enough to perform better this season?

Being honest and bearing in mind that we are in the 3rd Division - which players could do a job for us and the players you would keep AND WHY?

I think we had nine of a starting eleven that would get us promoted at the end of last season. No prizes for guessing what two things needed to be addressed, and also no prizes for guessing whether they have been

Bin;

Flynn
Coutts
McEverly
Edgar
Collins
Baxter
J Wallace
Cuvelier
Basham (Just)

UTB

He has given them a chance and now some of them need to fuck off.

They do, most of them even.

But some need to fuck back on again. I don't know why McNulty and Scougall are being frozen out. They make things happen. Right now, we're creating next to nothing.

Howard, as no 2 keeper
Freeman, not a bad footballer
Brayford, a Championship level performer
Basham, Seen worse
Done, has that ability to do something different
Adams, Potential
Reed, possible potential
Sharp, will still score around 20 goals a season.

That's it.

Bin;

Flynn
Coutts
McEverly
Edgar
Collins
Baxter
J Wallace
Cuvelier
Basham (Just)

UTB

There is only brayford, done and Adams I would care about losing and the latter only due to potential. I like Basham but at the same time I wouldn't be thinking "shit they've got Chris Basham" if he lined up against us

Sharp is probably as good as we could get at this level too

Most of our players would be fine as squad men alongside five or six higher quality players.

But there are those who have been here too long and are now proven failures. Baxter, Collins, McEv, chief amongst them. Then we have the crocks...

The must-starts are few in number. Sharp, Brayford, Done, Adams, and Basham at the back.

To add to the list to keep Harris is good enough and mcnulty too has potential.

I'd say add two good centre backs and a captain ball winning mean bastard central midfield player and we're nearly there.

Keep:

Howard (as back up)
Harris
Freeman
Brayford
Done
Sharp
Adams

Get rid:

Long
Edgar
Collins
McEveley
Alcock
Basham
J. Wallace
Woolford
Higdon
K. Wallace
McGahey
Cuvelier
Sammon
Diego
Kennedy
McFadzean
JCR
Flynn
Baxter
Reed
Coutts
McNulty
Dimaio - loan
DCL - loan
Whiteman - loan
Kahn - loan

Players who I think would be key players in a promotion push
Brayford, Done, Sharp, Adams, Basham

Decent players at this level
Freeman, Harris,

Squad players
Howard, Flynn, JCR, Baxter, Mcnulty, collins, Sammon, Reed, Coutts, K Wallace.

Not good enough
Long, Alcock, Mceverley, Higdon, Scougall, Woolford, McFazdean, McGahay,

Never fit
Kennedy, J Wallace, Cuvelier,

Too early to tell
Diego, DCL, Dimaio

31 players and only 7 I'd put in the first team (and 2 of them are injured) plus 10 squad players and 3 kids who might be worth a look at

11 who need to be moved on, if only it was that easy

Sadly agree with the above two posts. The vast majority of players will never get us up but we are stuck with them because no other club would be stupid enough to take them off our hands and pay them what they earn here. Its a shambles. A total mess
A mess I can't see a solution to for the foreseeable future, unless we pay all the dross off and start again, building a condensed squad of quality players to go with the very few we've already got here. Now that would obviously need masses of investment but it would be the best thing to happen to United in years.

Keep:

Howard (as back up)
Harris
Freeman
Brayford
Done
Sharp
Adams

Get rid:

Long
Edgar
Collins
McEveley
Alcock
Basham
J. Wallace
Woolford
Higdon
K. Wallace
McGahey
Cuvelier
Sammon
Diego
Kennedy
McFadzean
JCR
Flynn
Baxter
Reed
Coutts
McNulty
Dimaio - loan
DCL - loan
Whiteman - loan
Kahn - loan
You must be Cellino?

Cellino.jpg

Players who I think would be key players in a promotion push
Brayford, Done, Sharp, Adams, Basham

Decent players at this level
Freeman, Harris,

Squad players
Howard, Flynn, JCR, Baxter, Mcnulty, collins, Sammon, Reed, Coutts, K Wallace.

Not good enough
Long, Alcock, Mceverley, Higdon, Scougall, Woolford, McFazdean, McGahay,

Never fit
Kennedy, J Wallace, Cuvelier,

Too early to tell
Diego, DCL, Dimaio

31 players and only 7 I'd put in the first team (and 2 of them are injured) plus 10 squad players and 3 kids who might be worth a look at

11 who need to be moved on, if only it was that easy

Good post.

I don't agree with the detail, but then I think it'd be hard to find any two posters who did agree with each other on every player.

What this does show is the extent of the task facing Adkins, and the board.

There have been some good signs: it was only Tuesday when we held the top of the table away fairly comfortably, and by some accounts with a bit more ambition might have won.

But yesterday was very bad indeed.

Good post.

I don't agree with the detail, but then I think it'd be hard to find any two posters who did agree with each other on every player.

There have been some good signs: it was only Tuesday when we held the top of the table away fairly comfortably, and by some accounts with a bit more ambition might have won.

The thing is , the players in training will look good and hungry . Its when we are in a competitive game in league 1 , we are not up to it . Non contact sport we would walk this league , up until then , we will struggle .

Good signs are becoming too and far between . The loan players in next week , or the panic will start , the lower we find ourselves in this league.

UTB

Good post.

That's why you need leaders, for the days when you are bad.

The thing is , the players in training will look good and hungry . Its when we are in a competitive game in league 1 , we are not up to it . Non contact sport we would walk this league , up until then , we will struggle .

Good signs are becoming too and far between . The loan players in next week , or the panic will start , the lower we find ourselves in this league.

UTB

Hear hear to this. Its the reason why sometimes.......the crowd knows better than the manager who to pick for the team.

Personally I favour a plebiscite of the crowd at the end of the previous match.

To be fair Adkins mentioned today something along the lines of "I keep giving these players chances" as if he knows they are never going to be good enough

He must be worried that this set of players are going to end up getting him fired which would be a disaster considering he was seen as one of the brightest young managers in England just a few seasons back. I have no doubt he regrets giving so many of them a chance to prove themselves . At the end of the days it's him who will pay. The players will just steadily go down the leagues picking up wages until they retire.

Adkins is a winner with genuine aspirations to be the best he can possibly be. The team that represents him are a bunch of nobody's who are satisfied with where they are
Hope you are right. Adkins must be realising by now that he's inherited some who are simply not up to it and that he's got some significant holes to fill.

We ain't good enough [not even at this level] so let's hope he is a winner and that he can turn things around - and persuade the Prince and Mr Mc to cough up. What happened to the Murphy money?

Hear hear to this. Its the reason why sometimes.......the crowd knows better than the manager who to pick for the team.

Personally I favour a plebiscite of the crowd at the end of the previous match.

I do agree with you , as i am 100% sure , us fans could have told Adkins , were our strengths and weaknesses are . Professional advice would have been given to Adkins , and his staff when first arriving , by individuals who didn't leave the club at the same times as Clough . This information could not have been acurate as it should be , with warts and all . That is why IMO we are 3 months behind first base . Training is one thing , actual competative matches another . Yeovil away last season , unfortunately appears to be the benchmark ,for some games this season.

Us fans are not daft and are knowledgable all things SUFC . We should be , we pay in more ways than one , for the pleasure and privilege . . .

UTB

Bin;

Flynn
Coutts
McEverly
Edgar
Collins
Baxter
J Wallace
Cuvelier
Basham (Just)

UTB

Harsh on Cuvelier, who has never really had the chance to shine, but no place for sentiment, so let's get rid.

Harsh on Cuvelier, who has never really had the chance to shine, but no place for sentiment, so let's get rid.
It's the lack of fitness we can't afford. Same goes for Wallace.

UTB

Hope you are right. Adkins must be realising by now that he's inherited some who are simply not up to it and that he's got some significant holes to fill.

We ain't good enough [not even at this level] so let's hope he is a winner and that he can turn things around - and persuade the Prince and Mr Mc to cough up. What happened to the Murphy money?

Adkins should not have to realise he should have known . Adkins did say himself that some players perform better under one manager than they do another , and deep down i believe he thought he could acheive this with the information / dossier he was provided , when appointed.

The other is that League 1 has drastically changed since Adkins last managed in this league . Managers are more astute , players phyically fitter , tactically aware and standards higher .

Adkins is not a miricle worker , but the time and tide waits for no man , and he will be aware of this .

He has to date has been let down , with the level of information he has been given on individual players IMO , and now has a bigger task in pulling this season and his own standards around. If he wasnt fully aware of league 1 , and what you need within a player / team , he is now .

On the positive , Adkins will now do something about it and succeeed . If the board , JP , Branningan , hinder more than help , i am telling you , he will walk, and SUFC just cannot afford to lose a manager of his calibre and standing in the game.

UTB

I do agree with you , as i am 100% sure , us fans could have told Adkins , were our strengths and weaknesses are . Professional advice would have been given to Adkins , and his staff when first arriving , by individuals who didn't leave the club at the same times as Clough . This information could not have been acurate as it should be , with warts and all . That is why IMO we are 3 months behind first base . Training is one thing , actual competative matches another . Yeovil away last season , unfortunately appears to be the benchmark ,for some games this season.

Us fans are not daft and are knowledgable all things SUFC . We should be , we pay in more ways than one , for the pleasure and privilege . . .

UTB
Individuals who didn't leave the club, like Morgan for example?

Back
Top Bottom