My view

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WF10BLADE

Reaction score
I didn't imagine in June last year I'd be writing another disquisition on yet another Blades failure, we employed probably the best manager we could have hoped for after the surprising Clough sacking, and yet he has just taken a football club who have probably less than a quarter of the resources up to the Championship.

We have changed managers and yet nothing has changed, well we've actually regressed, and are still losing to teams we should be doing better against. Our home record has been appalling, I can recall maybe 3 performances Bradford Walsall and Gillingham where we've played well.

Our chairman sat at a fans forum on Thursday and blamed 'luck' well I'm sorry you can't have it both ways if we are spending 8 million plus a year it's disgraceful we can't muster a top 6 finish in the 3rd tier. Barnsley we're bottom in November and are going to finish top 6.

Our players have no fight, we have not come from behind to win once all season, our midfield has 3 players who have less than 20 assists and goals between them and our defence regularly gets beaten for pace.

As regards the manager, flip a coin, on one hand he was left with a load of shit but choose to give them the season to show how weak they were, Sharp/Baptiste apart his signings have been woeful - if he says none of the players will get new contracts fine if he invites failures like Flynn Mceverley and Hammond back he deserves not just sacking but stringing up.

We are now officially in the worst period of our entire history 6 seasons in the lower leagues. Our fans deserve better, much better.

I didn't imagine in June last year I'd be writing another disquisition on yet another Blades failure, we employed probably the best manager we could have hoped for after the surprising Clough sacking, and yet he has just taken a football club who have probably less than a quarter of the resources up to the Championship.

I generally agree with you, but lets be clear. Clough hasn't taken anyone up. He took Hasselbainks side and actually made them significantly worse. Luckily they had a head start.

As awful as this season has been, sacking him was the best thing we've done in 5 years.

This season gave us the best chance in terms of the teams in the league. Who would've though Burton Albion would be a Championship team at the end? I worry about the teams coming down as they have spending power, which is something most teams in this league lacked except us. If we don't go up next season, I know it will take a long time to build a squad good enough to do so.

I worry about the teams coming down as they have spending power

Do they?

Last I heard Bolton nearly went bust and are in freefall, Charlton are owned by some dodgy fuckers who the fans are walking out and protesting against, and Milton Keynes is a shithole franchise who one would hope have peaked and can now join us back in this hell of a league :(

I generally agree with you, but lets be clear. Clough hasn't taken anyone up. He took Hasselbainks side and actually made them significantly worse. Luckily they had a head start.

As awful as this season has been, sacking him was the best thing we've done in 5 years.

I don't think my post was singing up Clough, my point, poorly made, was we should be doing better than Burton.

My view is this:

Adkins has underperformed this season but I think the lack of transfer activity in January pretty much put the writing on the wall that the club were not going to spend anymore money this season. If the rug has fully been pulled from under Adkins and promises that were made to him when he joined have not happened then he should step down as manager.

Adkins has not become a average to poor manager overnight and he has one of the best records of anyone we have taken on in recent years. If the club has a serious long term strategy then it needs to stick to it because going through what is it 8 managers in 9 years I think?, has done us no good at all.

The problem at the club has been at the top and has been like that for a while and swapping managers all the time wont be always be an instant fix.

Yeah a 1 in a million chance that you have 4 managers in a season and still get promoted.

We went through 3 in one season and remind me again how well that worked out for us?
Same as when we've had just the one
Same as it allus is.

I'm amazed that so many still can't seem to grasp that sacking a manager should depend on the performance of the individual, and not the right or wrong nature of who the club has sacked before.

You're right, Man Utd should have sacked Fergie after the first season. Ditto to Spurs with Pochettino. Both Evans and Murphy should never have been allowed to play more than one season. Ditto to Jags.

You're right, Man Utd should have sacked Fergie after the first season. Ditto to Spurs with Pochettino. Both Evans and Murphy should never have been allowed to play more than one season. Ditto to Jags.

Can't believe Warnock got 7 seasons.

NW probably survived 7 years because bobbing about in the Championship sat a lot easier with the supporters than clearly deteriorating year on year in the 3rd tier of football just an opinion mind.

NW probably survived 7 years because bobbing about in the Championship sat a lot easier with the supporters than clearly deteriorating year on year in the 3rd tier of football just an opinion mind.
Yep, pretty much on the mark.
Warnock's budget pre promotion season was less than adequate, yet he kept us comfortably afloat in the Championship. Once the budget was bolstered somewhat, he delivered promotion.Quite why people choose to ignore that when berating him for the "seven seasons", is beyond me.

Yes all the warnock out chanting and various banners held up against backs this up.

Yep, pretty much on the mark.
Warnock's budget pre promotion season was less than adequate, yet he kept us comfortably afloat in the Championship. Once the budget was bolstered somewhat, he delivered promotion.Quite why people choose to ignore that when berating him for the "seven seasons", is beyond me.

You misunderstand. People are pointing out that we stuck by a manager and that it didn't happen overnight.

Yes all the warnock out chanting and various banners held up against backs this up.

Warnock will always split opinion as other managers and players do, but the bottom line is all our managers will be under the cosh from day one the longer we stay in this league. No one will be afforded the time NW had and should they really need it.

You can see that by the number of players brought in by Clough and the number of those players that you would retain the services of.

“I thought their vocal support was poor today considering they bought a good few and it was a must win game to keep their faint hopes alive.”

Always surprises me to read comments like that. Surely they can see what a turgid horrible let down of a season this has been for us?

These "faint hopes" they talk about are non existent.

We're not a club living the dream with a faint chance of promotion, We're a club living the nightmare wondering what the hell we've done to deserve this and when or where will it all end?

Somehow the above post has gone on this thread rather than Roy's view from.

Perils of trying to copy and paste on my phone :mad:

Back
Top Bottom