My take on yesterday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
Certainly not 'dog shit'. No win to me is ever dog shit.

It wasn't stellar, it wasn't great, hell - the best I could say about our performance was 'dogged' but we got exactly what we needed missing a few key players and with a few still getting settled in.

I'll get the negatives out the way first...
Lafferty doesn't look to be any better than Hussey to me, great cross for the goal and good header off the line at the end but he looks lightweight, poor in possession and seems to have 'blank' moments.
Our game management after the goal and subsequent sending off was poor, we really should've killed them off. The players desire to keep the clean sheet was admirable but really we should've killed them off. Fair play to them for making attacking subs after that, they really went for us and were unlucky not to get a point.
Duffy had a shocker, which he tends to. I'd love to see him take his man on and cross like a winger should when he gets himself down the channels. Perfect chance to give Brooks 20 mins yesterday because we would've lost nothing creatively as he was very very off colour. Really hit and miss but he will earn us more points than he loses us this season.
We still don't seem to close down enough on the edge of the box, if Moore's handling wasn't as good as it is then there only needs to be one fumble and it's a tap in. GET OUT!!!

Everyones favourite now, the positives.
JO'C and EEL are the most solid dependable centre halves we've had since Maguire. Head it, kick it, knee it, bollock it. Doesn't matter, just get a body part on it. JO'C in particular is a very good footballer too which is helpful, EEL much more of your Morgan type which is a pleasant surprise.
Moore breeds confidence to his whole team. One unclaimed corner all game which in fairness could've been a disaster but keepers make mistakes. Luckily he happens to make very few, money well spent.
Done is really proving his worth, whether it can work long term who knows but in games like yesterday which are tight and scrappy affairs they're ideal for him. He didn't get much change from their defence but he kept them on their toes all night.
Nice to see Chapman get on the scoresheet and hopefully he can build on that now.
And last but not least... Paul Coutts. What a footballer, black boots too tonight which made me like him even more. Immense and like a completely new signing.

That was a game we would've lost last season, the season before, probably the 2 seasons before that as well. They're a much better side than people are giving them credit for. Boateng is EXACTLY the type of midfielder we need and Harrison really tested our centre halves time and time again. They were organised, resiliant and unfazed and will be closer to the top 6 than the bottom 4 come may.

6 unbeaten now, 6th in the league after an awful start and things are really starting to take shape. We're getting there, 2 home clean sheets on the bounce against 2 difficult opponents. Onto Fleetwood now, another good side and another difficult game but play like we have recently away from home and it'll be 7 unbeaten,

Fortress Bramall Lane is on it's way back, slowly but surely.

Yeah mostly agree with that, have to be honest haven't been paying an awful lot of attention to the other teams in League One so thought that Rovers where just one of those Donkey teams that we'd roll over and have done with it. As it turns out they moved the Ball very very well and look a solid upper mid-table side.

Duffy is really the only negative point for me, just got so sick of us doing well, winning the ball high up, giving it Duffy who then proceeded to almost very single time make the wrong choice.

Well I thought that Duffy made a positive contribution. He covered a lot of ground, both attacking and defending on both sides. He also made some good interplay, albeit, sometimes for the sake of it. I thought he had imagination and tried something different to the norm with unexpected directional passes through. They didn't all come off but he tried to be different rather than expected.

I aalso thought that one or two were lacking the ability to keep up the tempo. Lafferty seemed to be blowing hard for the last 15 mins and the midfield slowed down all together

Cannot disagree with what you say danny but I dont think Duffy had a shocker, wasn't at his best but he does hold the ball up well and usually finds a man, also I reckon his work rate is increasing, (cant agree with everything,can we) :)

Certainly not 'dog shit'. No win to me is ever dog shit.

It wasn't stellar, it wasn't great, hell - the best I could say about our performance was 'dogged' but we got exactly what we needed missing a few key players and with a few still getting settled in.

I'll get the negatives out the way first...
Lafferty doesn't look to be any better than Hussey to me, great cross for the goal and good header off the line at the end but he looks lightweight, poor in possession and seems to have 'blank' moments.
Our game management after the goal and subsequent sending off was poor, we really should've killed them off. The players desire to keep the clean sheet was admirable but really we should've killed them off. Fair play to them for making attacking subs after that, they really went for us and were unlucky not to get a point.
Duffy had a shocker, which he tends to. I'd love to see him take his man on and cross like a winger should when he gets himself down the channels. Perfect chance to give Brooks 20 mins yesterday because we would've lost nothing creatively as he was very very off colour. Really hit and miss but he will earn us more points than he loses us this season.
We still don't seem to close down enough on the edge of the box, if Moore's handling wasn't as good as it is then there only needs to be one fumble and it's a tap in. GET OUT!!!

Everyones favourite now, the positives.
JO'C and EEL are the most solid dependable centre halves we've had since Maguire. Head it, kick it, knee it, bollock it. Doesn't matter, just get a body part on it. JO'C in particular is a very good footballer too which is helpful, EEL much more of your Morgan type which is a pleasant surprise.
Moore breeds confidence to his whole team. One unclaimed corner all game which in fairness could've been a disaster but keepers make mistakes. Luckily he happens to make very few, money well spent.
Done is really proving his worth, whether it can work long term who knows but in games like yesterday which are tight and scrappy affairs they're ideal for him. He didn't get much change from their defence but he kept them on their toes all night.
Nice to see Chapman get on the scoresheet and hopefully he can build on that now.
And last but not least... Paul Coutts. What a footballer, black boots too tonight which made me like him even more. Immense and like a completely new signing.

That was a game we would've lost last season, the season before, probably the 2 seasons before that as well. They're a much better side than people are giving them credit for. Boateng is EXACTLY the type of midfielder we need and Harrison really tested our centre halves time and time again. They were organised, resiliant and unfazed and will be closer to the top 6 than the bottom 4 come may.

6 unbeaten now, 6th in the league after an awful start and things are really starting to take shape. We're getting there, 2 home clean sheets on the bounce against 2 difficult opponents. Onto Fleetwood now, another good side and another difficult game but play like we have recently away from home and it'll be 7 unbeaten,

Fortress Bramall Lane is on it's way back, slowly but surely.
Good post Dan.

Agree with all except Duffy, who was OK.

As fans, in that situation we want to see our side kill teams off. No doubt.
But our "game management" as you refer to it was much much better than you suggest. At pro level there is a thin line between stick and twist.

You open up the game going for the knockout punch, you run the risk of getting done on the counter. I have no doubt Wilder would be happy with this aspect although I haven't heard his post match yet so I could be wrong !

UTB

Good post Dan.

But our "game management" as you refer to it was much much better than you suggest. At pro level there is a thin line between stick and twist.

You open up the game going for the knockout punch, you run the risk of getting done on the counter. I have no doubt Wilder would be happy with this aspect although I haven't heard his post match yet so I could be wrong !

UTB
He wasn't very happy, he said he was disappointed the players chose to defend the lead rather than going for the second goal.
But what he says to the press and to the players are two different things.

Enigmatic would describe Duffy perfectly. He's certainly not a winger these days but he is a creator. Infuriating at times but can open doors in a way that no other player in our team can. There are some very good footballers in our midfield now. Let's remember, in football terms, they hardly know each other so teething problems are inevitable. With time and Tufty it surely can only get better. I see us going from strength to strength and expect some really good football (for this level) as the season progresses.

Good post Dan.

UTB

Sorry mate...have a listen on the RS site. :)

Sorry mate...have a listen on the RS site. :)
Just have. Seems Tufty wanted to twist ;)

I still reckon we managed the game well though. But I guess with just a 1 goal lead, one slip up could then cost ya.

UTB

Duffy is going to frustrate this season - players like him always do - but I feel he is absolutely vital to us (especially when there are a lack of alternatives in the squad). He has the ability to turn on to both feet, create a yard and score the odd goal. I'd far rather have him in the team than having a rigid midfield with square passers.

I'm not advocating dropping Duffy if anyone thinks it sounds like that, but for me yesterday was a game where nothing went right for him at all. I think it would've been an ideal opportunity to give Brooks or Whiteman a run out in a similar position, as he certainly wasn't playing wide.

But then again, I'm not the gaffer, and thank god that is the case :)

Agree with nearly everything apart from criticism of Duffy. Like many others, thought he had a decent game. Think he was the one who played the ball out wide for Lafferty in the move for the goal. I went with a mate last night who hadn't been to a game yet this season and he was raving about Duffy, praising his 'interplay'.

Good post.

Just goes to show we all see football differently 'cos I thought Duffy was decent first half. Every time he was on the ball he got his head up and tried to get us going forward, which for me is what we've been lacking in the past.

Anyone can go sideways or backwards, half this forum could probably get into the team if their only job was to turn round and play it to the CB.

Admitadly things don't always come off for him, but he's not one to shy away from the ball when it's not going his way.

I also thought Lafferty wasn't as bad as a few are saying. Yes he sliced a couple of clearances, but his overall play was solid. First and foremost he's a defender, and he defended very well;
Won most of his aerial duels.
Can't remember him getting beat by his winger.
Couple of great tackles to break up play.
As well as putting in a gem of a cross for Chapman. For me he's definitely an improvement on Hussey.

While it is still one of the weaker area's of the team I don't feel he was poor enough to be singled out for criticism... but that might just be me, 3 points, clean sheet, bring on Fleetwood!

UTB

I feel we are desperately in need of a target man up front ... we don't have many options when crossing the ball into the opponent's penalty area. We need someone who can get his head on to those crosses more consistently. We also need more bite in midfield. I feel that Wilder needs to address these weaknesses in the January transfer window if we are to become serious promotion contenders. That's not to say that he hasn't already made vast progress on Adkins's legacy.

I'll sum it up for me............

We still DO NOT have the players for 4-4-2.....thank fuck we have 2 decent centre halves and GK now.......they have helped turn loses and draws from the last 3 games into wins and draws.

CW is playing with fire switching back to 4-4-2...........he had all the warning signs in the first few games of the season.

I don't mind him aiming for 4-4-2 with the right players - we didn't have them before and we haven't got them now.

UTB

We still DO NOT have the players for 4-4-2.....thank fuck we have 2 decent centre halves and GK now.......they have helped turn loses and draws from the last 3 games into wins and draws.

CW is playing with fire switching back to 4-4-2...........he had all the warning signs in the first few games of the season.

I don't mind him aiming for 4-4-2 with the right players - we didn't have them before and we haven't got them now.

UTB
Agree with you Fulwood I didn't understand putting in Scougall to replace Bash and reverting to 442. Everyone is saying how well Bristol R played but we allowed them to do that by our formation. Whilst we have played the 352 formation we have generally dominated possession and most games.
I appreciate we had to make a change with Bash suspended but why put a midget in midfield ? Generally with such a short side especially in midfield and up front we were out muscled all over the pitch so we need some more height and pace in both parts. On the plus side I thought Chapman looked a real talent and why CW hasnt played him in place of Scougall is a puzzle

UTB
Agree entirely, at the risk of creating a forum meltdown think we've been bailed out by the defence & goalkeeper particularly in the last 2 home games, 4-2-3-1 would probably be a safer formation.

Having said that, lots of positives & much to admire about CW - hats off fella.

UTB

I think the fact is that we are not at our best yet and haven't been during this fantastic run of results. There is much more to come, of that I am certain! However, what we do now have in spades is the desire, effort and "never say die" attitude not seen since Warnock's days. Add that to improved performances and maybe strengthening in January and we ARE going places.

COYRAWW

I think the fact is that we are not at our best yet and haven't been during this fantastic run of results. There is much more to come, of that I am certain! However, what we do now have in spades is the desire, effort and "never say die" attitude not seen since Warnock's days. Add that to improved performances and maybe strengthening in January and we ARE going places.

COYRAWW
That's exactly the type of ground we need to build a team on. The never say die attitude could be the difference between mid table and promotion. It's that important.

Agree with alot of the opening post, however, I don't think Duffy had a shocker, he gets more of the ball than anyone else on the pitch (maybe only Coutts comes close) and hasnt got the pace to be an out and out winger, like has been touched on, 3-5-2 suits us much more.

And I disagree that it was a perfect opportunity for Brooks to come on. Slender lead, playing against a big strong side, who were obviously going to go longer and longer as the game went on - no time for a youngster in Brooks mould to come on to help see the game out. If we'd got a second goal with 5/10 to go then yeah, definitely put him on.

Thought CW's substitutions were spot on.

Agree entirely, at the risk of creating a forum meltdown think we've been bailed out by the defence & goalkeeper particularly in the last 2 home games, 4-2-3-1 would probably be a safer formation.

Having said that, lots of positives & much to admire about CW - hats off fella.

UTB
We haven't been "bailed out by the defence & goalkeeper", we simply have defenders and a goalkeeper that are more capable of doing their jobs than some of their recent predecessors.

We defend from the front a lot better, which also helps them out but the bottom line is we defend as a team, and we're better at it now which is turning losses into draws and draws into wins compared to recent teams.

It's wrong to look at the goals against and praise/criticise just the defence just as it's wrong to do the same for the attack in respect of the goals for column.

It's a team game at both ends of the pitch and we're a better team this year and hopefully still evolving.

We haven't been "bailed out by the defence & goalkeeper", we simply have defenders and a goalkeeper that are more capable of doing their jobs than some of their recent predecessors.

We defend from the front a lot better, which also helps them out but the bottom line is we defend as a team, and we're better at it now which is turning losses into draws and draws into wins compared to recent teams.

It's wrong to look at the goals against and praise/criticise just the defence just as it's wrong to do the same for the attack in respect of the goals for column.

It's a team game at both ends of the pitch and we're a better team this year and hopefully still evolving.
That largely depends on your view and interpretation of the game, mine is that against Peterborough & Bristol, our defence & keeper were much the busier - the stats also back this up...

V Peterborough
Shots on target 3 - 10
Corners 6-7

V Bristol Rvrs
Shots on target 3 - 5
Corners 2 - 5

The possession stats are mixed, against Posh it was 46 - 54 opposed to 55 - 45 against Rovers.

That's soccer for you!!

That largely depends on your view and interpretation of the game, mine is that against Peterborough & Bristol, our defence & keeper were much the busier - the stats also back this up...

V Peterborough
Shots on target 3 - 10
Corners 6-7

V Bristol Rvrs
Shots on target 3 - 5
Corners 2 - 5

The possession stats are mixed, against Posh it was 46 - 54 opposed to 55 - 45 against Rovers.

That's soccer for you!!
The only stat that really counts from both games was 1-0 :)

Wasn't he forced to play 4-4-2 though with Bash suspended and Wilson/Wright injured?

I don't think he would have changed it if he could have avoided it, it was more that the situation dictated it.

Spot on mate . The change to 4-4-2 was a forced change due to suspension and injury .

Duffy overall effectiveness was also badly curtailed because of the enforced change aswell ( to be fair though , I still thought he had a decent game ) . It was a lack of support in midfield that curtailed Duffy's overall effectiveness . I lost count of the number of times Duffy had to hold the ball up due to the lack of support .

With 5-3-2 including basham in midfield , support is rarely an issue . With two wing backs and two midfielders freed up by Basham's tireless efforts there are options galore .

With the players we have at our disposal we simply must start with 5-3-2 whenever possible .

I feel we are desperately in need of a target man up front ... we don't have many options when crossing the ball into the opponent's penalty area. We need someone who can get his head on to those crosses more consistently. We also need more bite in midfield. I feel that Wilder needs to address these weaknesses in the January transfer window if we are to become serious promotion contenders. That's not to say that he hasn't already made vast progress on Adkins's legacy.

Agree to an extent but we were missing Clarke and Basham. With those 2 in, we go a long way to addressing those issues. Though Clarke would start on the bench for me and be plan B for now.

Back
Top Bottom