My biggest disapointment.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SandyMcBlade

Bennyandtheblades
Reaction score
Mr McCabes idea of a production line of first team player rolling in from the youth Academy.
Great idea if he didn't have to keep selling any good ones to pay for it.....
From the fans point of view has spending all this money on the Academy been worth it ?

Would not have needed to sell if we could have actually got a manager to improve the 1st team at the same time.

Mr McCabes idea of a production line of first team player rolling in from the youth Academy.
From the fans point of view has spending all this money on the Academy been worth it ?
I'd like to know how much we've spent on it and how much we've brought in from it, only after this is known, will anyone be able to really answer it.

It's a great idea IF you can get the academy sides playing like the under 21's who play in a similar fashion to the first team AND you are high enough up the leagues to keep the players when they graduate up the levels.
Arsenal are the obvious example but I remember as a kid, when the reserves played on a Saturday and if you couldn't get away you could go and watch, teams like Liverpool and Everton would rock up with players who even looked liked their first team counterparts (right up to Coady coming on loan and moving like Cunty Gerrard).

It's a great idea IF you can get the academy sides playing like the under 21's who play in a similar fashion to the first team AND you are high enough up the leagues to keep the players when they graduate up the levels.
Arsenal are the obvious example but I remember as a kid, when the reserves played on a Saturday and if you couldn't get away you could go and watch, teams like Liverpool and Everton would rock up with players who even looked liked their first team counterparts (right up to Coady coming on loan and moving like Cunty Gerrard).
Very few of Arsenal's youth players have or had become regular first team fixtures and those that did were sold before the next ones came through.

And I don't remember Coady falling on his arse at vital moments either.

Very few of Arsenal's youth players have or had become regular first team fixtures and those that did were sold before the next ones came through.

And I don't remember Coady falling on his arse at vital moments either.

They may have not broken into the team permanently (after all Arsenal can afford to buy a Sanchez or an Ozil every year) but it means they can fill in for individuals when they are injured or need a rest (I mean a virtual full team of them can wallop us 6-0 even).

They may have not broken into the team permanently (after all Arsenal can afford to buy a Sanchez or an Ozil every year) but it means they can fill in for individuals when they are injured or need a rest (I mean a virtual full team of them can wallop us 6-0 even).
True but at the time Arsenal couldn't afford Ozil or Sanchez because they were paying off the stadium costs. Using the kids was the cheap stop gap option until they could sign top players again. It's probably the cause of the trophy drought they suffered until a couple of seasons ago.

Without the academy, we'd be in fairly large financial trouble due to the appalling way the club is run compared to other clubs of our size.

Arsenal have consistently brought through talent and stolen them from abroad (Bellerin, Fabregas). Wenger, for my money, is the greatest PL manager in the modern era given his resources. The Emirates stadium -which he sacrificed his reputation to build - now makes more money than any club stadium in the world (Barca and Real Madrid are second and third) on a matchday. The football club is now supposedly debt free and never borrows money or is it reliant on sugar daddy money . What he has done for Arsenal is ensure their place among the financial hegemony - possibly for ever. Since they could seriously start to invest in the team organically they have won two FA Cups If this country ever really embraced financial fair play Arsenal and manure would be well ahead of the others. Yes, I am a faboy.

Arsenal have consistently brought through talent and stolen them from abroad (Bellerin, Fabregas). Wenger, for my money, is the greatest PL manager in the modern era given his resources. The Emirates stadium -which he sacrificed his reputation to build - now makes more money than any club stadium in the world (Barca and Real Madrid are second and third) on a matchday. The football club is now supposedly debt free and neither borrows money nor is reliant on sugar daddy money . What he has done for Arsenal is ensure their place among the financial hegemony - possibly for ever. Since they could seriously start to invest in the team organically they have won two FA Cups If this country ever really embraced financial fair play Arsenal and manure would be well ahead of the others. Yes, I am a faboy.

Without the academy, we'd be in fairly large financial trouble due to the appalling way the club is run compared to other clubs of our size.

Even this is now threatened by the new EPPP. See my posts on "ambitious selection strategy" thread. Either upgrade to category one status or no top players to sell or put in first team. Sustainable academy model?

Pre EPPP I would've said it was worth it, post EPPP I don't see how it can work.

Any half decent youngster can get hoovered up by a Category 1 Academy and pay us next to fuck all, so now we have to sell more to make it pay.

A category A academy only has to give 48 hours notice to come wathc one of our players, they could then purchase for a fixed fee ranging from £3K - £40K depending on our academy status and lenght of time the player has been with us.

Mothball it until we get back to the PL (if ever that happens)

Pre EPPP I would've said it was worth it, post EPPP I don't see how it can work.

Any half decent youngster can get hoovered up by a Category 1 Academy and pay us next to fuck all, so now we have to sell more to make it pay.

A category A academy only has to give 48 hours notice to come wathc one of our players, they could then purchase for a fixed fee ranging from £3K - £40K depending on our academy status and lenght of time the player has been with us.

Mothball it until we get back to the PL (if ever that happens)

Its absolutely disgusting. Dreamed up by the same protectionists that want to abolish PL relegation. Either become a shark or become the shark food.

Even this is now threatened by the new EPPP. See my posts on "ambitious selection strategy" thread. Either upgrade to category one status or no top players to sell or put in first team. Sustainable academy model?
We are in the process of upgrading. This process started with upgrades in facilities before this season.

We are in the process of upgrading. This process started with upgrades in facilities before this season.
If this is true its the biggest sign of intent from our owners thus far. Bigger than any signing, as it isn't cheap and ensures the club's ability to sustain itself and evolve longer term. I want the club to upgrade the KOP and make the stadium PL ready but this is much more essential. It would be so sad if it became a white elephant.

On page 11 of Saturday's program it : we are 3rd best performing cat 2 academy; 5th best football league club; 15th best in country. We are coming to the end of the three year EPPP audit cycle and will be audited at category two again early next season. The academy is high up the agenda with United's technical board, including the manager...who is keen to see academy as a focal point for the squad

Last edited:
I wonder how many of these kids who've been nicked by the big clubs end up coming back to us when they've not quite made it?

Hopefully they remember us fondly and, being local, will be desperate for another chance.

I wonder how many of these kids who've been nicked by the big clubs end up coming back to us when they've not quite made it?

Hopefully they remember us fondly and, being local, will be desperate for another chance.

This could be the new model, getting them at a later stage in their development

Adkins has often spoken of clearing a path to the first team for Academy players.

He also recently mentioned what sounded like a long term club ambition of 50% of the first team being homegrown.

You could argue that at times this season when we've had Long, Reed, and Billy on the pitch we've got up to 27.27...%

My biggest disappointment is that we have failed to learn from the mistakes we ( the Club ) have been making for years ........

And there's no evidence that this will change any time soon ..... :(

UTB & FTP

How? Coaches cost at £35 per hour and there are so many coaches at the Academy. Since Maguire, Long is the only one from the Academy to have made more than 25 starts. The idea of having an Academy was to produce enough young players who can play in the Premiership and we are still in the third tier!

Back
Top Bottom