Must-win at Orient

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheff de party

Reaction score
Might be an obvious thread, but we have to win that if we have any chance of going up I think. If we nail down 5th spot, we will almost certainly play Swindon. No easy task, but if we play MK over two games I think they'll beat us (they might hammer us), but we can do them over 1 game.

Getting past Swindon wouldn't be a walk in the park, but I'd far rather play them in the semis. Orient will be up for it though, fighting for survival.

My prediction: 1-1 with Orient, beat Chezzie, 2-1 win over Swindon at the Lane, lose to MK in the final.

Chessie don't have an easy run in either, Bristol City and us. Saying that, I doubt anyone will be confident of us beating them at the Lane if we're playing for 5th spot.

I'd prefer Preston to MK Dons. One positive about MK Dons is that their stadium is finished now, so the upper tier should be open for the second leg. If we play them, it could end up being like a home game with more Blades fans than MK fans.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe that's not such a big advantage

Might be an obvious thread, but we have to win that if we have any chance of going up I think. If we nail down 5th spot, we will almost certainly play Swindon. No easy task, but if we play MK over two games I think they'll beat us (they might hammer us), but we can do them over 1 game.

Getting past Swindon wouldn't be a walk in the park, but I'd far rather play them in the semis. Orient will be up for it though, fighting for survival.

My prediction: 1-1 with Orient, beat Chezzie, 2-1 win over Swindon at the Lane, lose to MK in the final.

If we beat Chesterfield we'll be above them anyway. Irrespective of the Orient result.

This is the game for resting key players, allowing injuries time to heal and giving fringe players like Adams a chance to stake a claim.

This is the game for resting key players, allowing injuries time to heal and giving fringe players like Adams a chance to stake a claim.

I agree. I would give Magahey, Alcock, Willis, Reed, Adams and McNulty a run out just in case, especially if Rochdale slip up midweek. As you say the Chesterfield game will determine 5th, though to be honest, as I said in another post, its which United turns up on the day rather than which opponents we face that matters most I think.

If we beat Chesterfield we'll be above them anyway. Irrespective of the Orient result.

If Rochdale fail to win tonight then we are in the play offs. If that happens I really don't care who we play but it would be good to think that key players are not risked for two games that don't matter.

We will lose our last two games and here's why.

Rochdale will fail to win at Orient tonight since they have suspensions from sending offs at w/e and hence a weaker team
That will cement our place in the top 6 so the pressure will be off
Orient will get some encouragement from a positive result and will be far more determined than us to put a shift in on Saturday to boost their chances of staying up.
NC will rest key players to "save" them so we will have an understrength team on show
Henderson will score against us.

Chessie will lose to Bristol, who will celebrate their success with a solid performance at the iPro

On the final day of the season proper Chessie will play their normal game against us - since they don't have the squad size to rotate the team selection and all players will be playing for a place in their play off campaign - they will rest Roberts, as he is the one they will want to protect for the semis.
Since the first part of the job has been done (qualifying for play offs) NC will rest key players, again, and we will not show the same determination as the Chesterfield lads
Chessie will come away with all 3 points and go above us into 5th place.

We will get either MKD or Preston in the Semis (still think Preston will prevail to automatic - draw the first leg at home and lose by the odd goal in the second leg.

Reactions: Dkc
As long as we keep him below double figures it'll do for me.

Has Houso flounced off, not seen him for a while?

It looks like he has been lurking and not posting so often - last seen Satdi at 17:08 but not posted since 6th April.
Poor lad is disillusioned with the Blades, Hendo and the prospect of changing his forum moniker :(

It looks like he has been lurking and not posting so often - last seen Satdi at 17:08 but not posted since 6th April.
Poor lad is disillusioned with the Blades, Hendo and the prospect of changing his forum moniker :(
Oh I don't know, plenty of us have called him lots of different names over the years.

MK Dons will be 2nd after tonight, (as I predicted a couple of weeks ago!) they will beat Donny comfortably and Preston will draw away at Notts County.

As far as we are concerned sod resting players and all that bollocks we need momentum. Clough should be telling the lads in training today his starting 11 for the Orient game and this will be the same starting 11 for Chesterfield and the play-offs, (injuries apart)....stop all the resting and tinkering crap that has caused us more problems than it has solved tell those 11 that the season rests on their shoulders, they eat, sleep, drink and shit together from now until it's over.....well that's what I would do anyway!

Whoever we play in the playoffs will be tough games so any would suit me we have lost important games against lower league position clubs for example yeovil but beat higher teams swindon bristol and some good premier league teams so its not beyond us to beat any of our play off contenders.what we need is good solid performances get our passing right show plenty of determination and then our supporters will hopefully get behind the team. they will be as worried about us just as we are with them i reckon it will be the one who capitalises on the others mistakes that will win the games in the playoffs

If Preston drop down to third it will be a big choke. Weren't they 7 points clear of 3rd at one point?

Swindon will be resigned to the Play Offs and they could be resting players. I'd almost prefer Preston to Swindon.

Absolutely this, the Orient game's meaningless in the big picture

Yes rest a few players have them on the subs bench just incase we need some injection in the match, I say bring on whoever in the playoffs we will be victorious COYRAWW.

Assuming Rochdale don't win tonight and can no longer catch us, I would rest anybody who is carrying an injury and go with:-

Turner
Freeman Brayford McGahey Alcock
Basham Doyle Scougall
Calvert-Lewin McNulty Adams

My preferred team for the play-offs would be:-

Howard
Freeman Brayford Kennedy Harris
Basham Doyle Holt
Done Davies Murphy

So seven changes but all straight swaps. Like for like. Position for position.

I think that fit, hungry players are just as likely to get a result as half-fit, knackered players saving themselves for the play-offs.

A few weeks ago I posted that out of all the games in the final run-in it was the Donny and Bradford games that gave me most concern. This was due mainly to the toxic, lethargic atmosphere that prevails at our home games. (Must admit I didn't see the Yeovil result coming).

I feel the same way for the play offs. Be it Preston, Swindon or MKD I am more concerned about getting a result at home than I am in the away leg.

If we can get a positive result at home I think we'll get promoted.

I don't think Colchester, Notts County, Crewe, Crawley, Port Vale, Scunny and Coventry will be too happy if we play a weakened team and lose.

We weren't overly happy when Liverpool played the youth team vs Fulham either, what goes around comes around

I don't think Colchester, Notts County, Crewe, Crawley, Port Vale, Scunny and Coventry will be too happy if we play a weakened team and lose.

I think the 2nd's would have more chance of getting a result. There will be lads hungry to get in the play off team who will get a chance. Sending a 1st team down and losing could be a fucking disaster for this forum, nevermind the squad.

It's away. A must draw game surely?

I disagree. I'd rather beat Orient then rest everyone the game before the playoffs, knowing that even defeat to Chessie won't matter. Chessie have a far better chance of beating us and I'd rather players were rested on the Saturday when they have to play the following Thursday.

90th minute equaliser against Chezzie will do.

That's a good idea. Let everything ride on the last game. We're really good at winning games like that.

Well Orient is definitely a must win game now. Can't rely on MKD beating Dale.

What's to worry about?
It's in our hands :eek:

Nows the time we need the manager to bring all his promotion experience to the proceedings...

....oh hang on a minute!

Reactions: Dkc

Back
Top Bottom