Mr Phipps

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yep, I can confirm.
He's SICK of all the dickeheads on twitter pestering him and thinking he makes all the decisions.

I wish him the best, I still don't completely understand what role he had but he seemed a nice fella.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if our vile treatment of him was a contributing factor.

It's a pity that we now have no distraction from the fact that we are part owned by a fat slob whose family kills lots of people on a daily basis.

A good man who was thrust into an awkward, unsuitable position he should've never been in by a clueless football club. I imagine it didn't do his health any favours either. Hope he gets well ASAP.

Echo the thoughts of all those who wish him well.

And also echo the thoughts of those who thought he was in the wrong job to start with, it needed a football man to be the Princes representative on the board who would / could see through the McCabe spin from the start.

He realised what was happening eventually and delivered a couple of frustrated but truthful statements towards the end, firstly on the mess the Clough / Branigan reign left behind and then the sobering statement on the near future which still sends a shudder of trepidation through me.

Nice guy,if we were tearing up the league would have been ok,took the brunt of a lot of frustration
Get well soon Jim

Imagine being sent over to the U.S to act as co-chairman for a Baseball/American Football team and be held up as the figurehead who many of the fans hold responsible for many things, despite knowing little about the sport/culture. It would be a completely ridiculous and daunting situation. But that's basically what he's had to do.

Imagine being sent over to the U.S to act as co-chairman for a Baseball/American Football team and be held up as the figurehead who many of the fans hold responsible for many things, despite knowing little about the sport/culture. It would be a completely ridiculous and daunting situation. But that's basically what he's had to do.
Didn't he put himself on the social media pedestal in the first place?

True and I'd find it so difficult to pretend I gave a shit about baseball or American 'Football'.

Yep, I can confirm.
He's SICK of all the dickeheads on twitter pestering him and thinking he makes all the decisions.

I wish him the best, I still don't completely understand what role he had but he seemed a nice fella.

Presumably (it would be nice to know for sure) he had some say in the dismissal of Clough and the appointment of Adkins and team.

For all his obvious cheeriness I thought his more formal statements were remarkably articulate and analytical.

Corporate lawyer(?), philosophy graduate(?), worked in Iraq after the "Second Gulf War", employed directly by a Saudi Prince - there's plenty of substance there.

Presumably (it would be nice to know for sure) he had some say in the dismissal of Clough and the appointment of Adkins and team.

For all his obvious cheeriness I thought his more formal statements were remarkably articulate and analytical.

Corporate lawyer(?), philosophy graduate(?), worked in Iraq after the "Second Gulf War", employed directly by a Saudi Prince - there's plenty of substance there.

I like Phipps and wish him well, but I'd be interested to hear his views on the Saudi regime whose dollars attracted him there in the first place.

As for his analytical ability, I suspect it damaged his self belief to have backed Clough so heavily only to sack him then pour scorn on him. That wasn't pretty.

But still, all the best to him - hope his health problems are soon over.

Are you comparing working with football fans to being in the Iraqi war?

It's far more complex and a much bigger job trying to keep us positive.

I like Phipps and wish him well, but I'd be interested to hear his views on the Saudi regime whose dollars attracted him there in the first place.

As for his analytical ability, I suspect it damaged his self belief to have backed Clough so heavily only to sack him then pour scorn on him. That wasn't pretty.

But still, all the best to him - hope his health problems are soon over.

Presumes he was attracted by the Saudi regime (presumably Evil) and its dollars.

Pretty sure he once remarked on the similarities between Californians, Sheffielders, and the Saudi people.

I suspect there's more to it than cartoon villainy.

Possibly, but I got the impression that it was part of his remit from the start to act as the mouthpiece for the board.

It seemed to be accidental as he started tweeting and inviting comments from Blades, meeting Blades in the Copthorne and then when they tweeted, he would retweet, at some point he then seemed to be the self appointed spokespersons. Perhaps the Board decided to go with it as we were doing well in the cups and he was liked, that by default he was the spokesman. He was even giving snippets of info and teasers (especially on Brayford) from behind the scenes. He did seem to love it until things fell apart at the seams last season and this.

Can't help but feel he could've handled it much, much better and even reigned it in a bit when it started to get out of control with the negativity.

Back
Top Bottom