More SUFC youth players get Pro contracts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grappler

Reaction score
image: http://www.sufc.co.uk/cms_images/20160506-l-young-pros135-3097803_613x460.jpg

20160506-l-young-pros135-3097803_613x460.jpg

PUBLISHED

12:00 6th May 2016

With the SteelPhalt Academy continuing the tradition of producing young talent that progresses through to the first-team, United can confirm that six scholars have signed professional contracts for the 2016/17 season.

England youth stopper Aaron Ramsdale, Republic of Ireland defender Graham Kelly, Northern Irish midfielder Shea Gordon and exciting forward Kimarni Smith, along with young prospectsConnor Hall and Nathaniel Crofts have all penned deals with the Blades which will see them continue through the ranks, initially with the development squad.

Ramsdale, who has caught the eye for both the U21s and U18s this season, recently impressed on his England U18s debut in a 4-1 victory over Republic of Ireland at St George's Park, whilst left-back Kelly has been in and around the first-team in recent weeks - both were on duty at Coventry last week.

Meanwhile, Gordon, who has previously skippered the youth team, has impressed having made the step up to the U21s this term and was another who gained international honours in March, playing every minute for his country in three consecutive qualifying games in the Netherlands.

The success of United's scouting system of identifying young local talent and developing it certainly applies to the remaining trio. Smith joined the Blades from Basford United earlier this season and has progressed through the U18s and into the U21s, scoring key goals for both age groups this term.

Whilst striker Hall has impressed mainly for the U18s since joining as a scholar from the FAB Academy, having caught the eye of United staff whilst on trial with the club and winger Crofts recently became the second player to make the grade having come through the United's Futures programme, following a number of impressive displays for the youth team whilst featuring as a trialist.

Commenting on the professional contracts for the aforementioned youngsters, coach Travis Binnion is understandably delighted.

"The lads fully deserve their deals. They have taken different routes to get to this stage and they all have a lot of work to do to progress further to make an impact at first team level.

"They have all shown a lot of promise and are each good characters as well as players. They and all the staff at the Academy have worked hard to achieve this success.

"The first team staff have shown that there is a pathway at United and now it is down to the lads to take this opportunity."

* Pic: Gordon, Ramsdale, Hall, Kelly, Crofts and Smith

Read more at http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/...rofessionals-3097814.aspx#Q1EzpgjWhx5TbMKj.99

The academy is a waste of time just flatten it and build some flats. :)

That lad Shea Gordon looks like a proper footballer.

Well built with attitude

The three on right look really happy about it.

Understandable. One on the right got told they had no ties left. And next to the end got given a trackie top with no Blades badge on it!

Are you sure? I thought most of those are still around and have been part of our successful u-21s.

Only Eastwood and Brooks were in the squad that played Charlton.
Evans and Cockerline were definitely released in January.
I think that (Julian) Kler Heh has gone as well.
I'm not sure what has happened to Jake Wright? Injured maybe?

image: http://www.sufc.co.uk/cms_images/20160506-l-young-pros135-3097803_613x460.jpg

20160506-l-young-pros135-3097803_613x460.jpg

PUBLISHED

12:00 6th May 2016

With the SteelPhalt Academy continuing the tradition of producing young talent that progresses through to the first-team, United can confirm that six scholars have signed professional contracts for the 2016/17 season.

England youth stopper Aaron Ramsdale, Republic of Ireland defender Graham Kelly, Northern Irish midfielder Shea Gordon and exciting forward Kimarni Smith, along with young prospectsConnor Hall and Nathaniel Crofts have all penned deals with the Blades which will see them continue through the ranks, initially with the development squad.

Ramsdale, who has caught the eye for both the U21s and U18s this season, recently impressed on his England U18s debut in a 4-1 victory over Republic of Ireland at St George's Park, whilst left-back Kelly has been in and around the first-team in recent weeks - both were on duty at Coventry last week.

Meanwhile, Gordon, who has previously skippered the youth team, has impressed having made the step up to the U21s this term and was another who gained international honours in March, playing every minute for his country in three consecutive qualifying games in the Netherlands.

The success of United's scouting system of identifying young local talent and developing it certainly applies to the remaining trio. Smith joined the Blades from Basford United earlier this season and has progressed through the U18s and into the U21s, scoring key goals for both age groups this term.

Whilst striker Hall has impressed mainly for the U18s since joining as a scholar from the FAB Academy, having caught the eye of United staff whilst on trial with the club and winger Crofts recently became the second player to make the grade having come through the United's Futures programme, following a number of impressive displays for the youth team whilst featuring as a trialist.

Commenting on the professional contracts for the aforementioned youngsters, coach Travis Binnion is understandably delighted.

"The lads fully deserve their deals. They have taken different routes to get to this stage and they all have a lot of work to do to progress further to make an impact at first team level.

"They have all shown a lot of promise and are each good characters as well as players. They and all the staff at the Academy have worked hard to achieve this success.

"The first team staff have shown that there is a pathway at United and now it is down to the lads to take this opportunity."

* Pic: Gordon, Ramsdale, Hall, Kelly, Crofts and Smith

Read more at http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/...rofessionals-3097814.aspx#Q1EzpgjWhx5TbMKj.99

Lad on the left is wearing a different style tracky top. New training wear? Or nowt else left so blagged from JD and stuck his own badge on

Only Eastwood and Brooks were in the squad that played Charlton.
Evans and Cockerline were definitely released in January.
I think that (Julian) Kler Heh has gone as well.
I'm not sure what has happened to Jake Wright? Injured maybe?
Yes, I think Heh went out on loan to Dumbarton.

I'd guess that only a couple of these make it too, if any. To produce one good player a year on average would be a decent return from any academy.

Yes, I think Heh went out on loan to Dumbarton.

I'd guess that only a couple of these make it too, if any. To produce one good player a year on average would be a decent return from any academy.

I agree but the club can't take on six youngsters every season and then moan that they have too many "Pros" on the books. For me, lads of this age shouldn't be talked of in those terms until they're established in the first team squad.

We should be aiming for about 20 "Senior" players + an unfixed number of talented youngsters. You can't have too many good young players (18-20), providing they genuinely have the potential to make it.

Last edited:
I agree but the club can't take on six youngsters every season and then moan that they have too many "Pros" on the books. For me, lads of this age shouldn't be talked of in those terms until they're established in the first team squad.

We should be aiming for about 20 "Senior" players + an unfixed number of talented youngsters. You can't have too many good young players (18-20), providing they genuinely have the potential to make it.
The moan wasn't really about numbers, it was about money. The 40+ thing was just more spin and waffle.
You just can never be sure with kids how they react to playing in a proper man's game in front of big crowds until they've actually done it. So, as you say, you keep the ones you think might make it and hope for the best.

Understandable. One on the right got told they had no ties left. And next to the end got given a trackie top with no Blades badge on it!

Is that a Star trek original series engineering or a next generation cadet uniform he's got on?

The only players left at the club from the last intake is Brooke's and Wright who is injured.
As for numbers there will be a first team of 20 and a development squad of 10. If any development player is playing well then they could be brought in to the first team setup.

That all sounds straight forward. So welcome to the development young pros and best of luck

It's really difficult to make your way as a professional footballer, it's good to see so many prospects get there first contract but it gets even tougher to get to the first team squad. Clough gave an entire team a contract ,I think they have all gone now .Change of manager makes it very difficult as what one thinks is a good prospect another maybe doasnt, Hopefully continuity will help these lads ( Adkins to stay ?).

Their best chance of making it might be for Adkins to stay, sign Hammond, and they follow his example as a model professional.

This might save them from a miserable future as a semi-pro telling after match stories to hangers-on about what should have been.

But will they be good enough for our Great Leap Forrads?

It's really difficult to make your way as a professional footballer, it's good to see so many prospects get there first contract but it gets even tougher to get to the first team squad.

Even playing in the first team at Man United is no guarantee you've made it and you're here to stay.

Russell Beardsmore was once the Next Big Thing for about a month
Mark Robins - didn't he save SAF's career, and he scored a winner in a League Cup final
even Lee Sharpe some initial success the faded didn't he?
Macheda. Who?

How anyone can tell who will make it and who won't I've no idea.

Oh and Baxter was the next Wayne Rooney wasn't he?

I agree that we just don't know what will happen with them.
At least we have first dibs on them
If they show what it takes.

It doesn't get away from the fact they need a good winning first team to help their development

It's really difficult to make your way as a professional footballer, it's good to see so many prospects get there first contract but it gets even tougher to get to the first team squad. Clough gave an entire team a contract ,I think they have all gone now .Change of manager makes it very difficult as what one thinks is a good prospect another maybe doasnt, Hopefully continuity will help these lads ( Adkins to stay ?).

Well no Clough didn't do that and they haven't all gone.

Back
Top Bottom