Memries of Barnsley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Geordie Blade

Reaction score
A few to note:

- Tony Agana's late penalty in the epic FA Cup 5th round second replay at Oakwell in 1989/90. I made a full scrap book from the Star's coverage of those ties. I went to the first two games but had to settle for the radio for the third match (which we played at Oakwell after losing a coin toss).
- The whole home crowd hurling abuse at Steve Agnew as he scored their winner at The Lane later in the same season. I really thought that had ruined our promotion chances.
- Losing my glasses in the barmy celebrations on the away end when Ian Bryson scored a last-minute penalty to win 2-1 at Oakwell. Proper nerve from Jock, that was. I think that game might also have had Carl Bradshaw's first goal for United.
- An absolutely cracking 3-3 draw at Bramall Lane in 1999/2000, with a last-minute equaliser from floppy arms Marcus Bent.
- Getting nasty sunstroke when lost 2-1 in 1998/99. I remember Alan Kelly asking the ref to add more time on when we were chasing the game at 1-0 down. Then we equalised very late on, and Kelly's requests backfired as they scored in the last minute of injury time.
- Morgan's 'incident' with Ian Hume at Oakwell in 2008/09, with Ugo Ehiogu also getting sent off.

Weren't Barnsley our last home game in the Championship?

Yep, we drew, 2-2 I think, and were relegated.

I remember Neil Shipperley scoring a belter for Barnsley from the edge of the area after being given about a week to pick his spot. We lost that one 2-1. I also saw us lose away at Barnsley in our last championship season. In fact we seem to lose to them an awful lot.

That 3-3 draw, that was the one where Kozluk spotted them two goals wasn't it? I also remember one of their goals was from a terrible short free kick routine United tried, they broke and Craig Hignett scored.

That 3-3 draw, that was the one where Kozluk spotted them two goals wasn't it? I also remember one of their goals was from a terrible short free kick routine United tried, they broke and Craig Hignett scored.

I'd forgotten that - yes! I know that the game finished really late (there must have been loads of injury time) as I missed my train and had to stay over in Sheffield.

Coming from 0-2 down to draw 2-2, Nathan Blake scored both i think. It was live on terrestrial telly.

They beat us at our place 1-0 the year they went up to the Premiership. When they scored near the end I think that's the barmiest I've ever seen the away end go.

The FA Cup marathon was great, not only 3 matches but the first one was a belter, 2-2, brass band before KO, 33k in the Lane! That last game was postponed twice for weather as well I think? Simon Tracey couldn't watch the penalty there's a picture of him facing the other way!

Yes great memories. Going into the wrong pub on Sheffield Road in Barnsley, being warmly welcomed by the regulars.

If that comes any further i'll bray thi. Come on whats up wi thi are that scallard?

A few to note:

- Tony Agana's late penalty in the epic FA Cup 5th round second replay at Oakwell in 1989/90.

News of Sam Hashimi's takeover filled the Star's front page earlier in the day and all the Blades fans were excited at the news!!!

A few to note:

- Tony Agana's late penalty in the epic FA Cup 5th round second replay at Oakwell in 1989/90. I made a full scrap book from the Star's coverage of those ties. I went to the first two games but had to settle for the radio for the third match (which we played at Oakwell after losing a coin toss).
- The whole home crowd hurling abuse at Steve Agnew as he scored their winner at The Lane later in the same season. I really thought that had ruined our promotion chances.
- Losing my glasses in the barmy celebrations on the away end when Ian Bryson scored a last-minute penalty to win 2-1 at Oakwell. Proper nerve from Jock, that was. I think that game might also have had Carl Bradshaw's first goal for United.
- An absolutely cracking 3-3 draw at Bramall Lane in 1999/2000, with a last-minute equaliser from floppy arms Marcus Bent.
- Getting nasty sunstroke when lost 2-1 in 1998/99. I remember Alan Kelly asking the ref to add more time on when we were chasing the game at 1-0 down. Then we equalised very late on, and Kelly's requests backfired as they scored in the last minute of injury time.
- Morgan's 'incident' with Ian Hume at Oakwell in 2008/09, with Ugo Ehiogu also getting sent off.
Remember most of those games the three cup games where we drew 2-2 at the lane then 0-0 at theirs with bradders missing a pen or a sitter to win it and then not getting home till about 1 in the morning , then I think the next one when we won with the agana penalty

Three of the tightest tensest games I ever went to the home game I think is the biggest crowd ive been in at the lane over 35000

Also remember the game when blackwell nearly got us in the play offs , billy sharp scored a late winner and im sure we outnumbered them in their own stadium

Coming from 0-2 down to draw 2-2, Nathan Blake scored both i think. It was live on terrestrial telly.

I had a penpal at the time who sent me a VHS cassette with that game + Huddersfield away a couple of weeks later. We were very poor in the first half of that season.

I have bad memories from either 79-80 or 80-81 when we played them at BL, whichever it was I can't remember the final score but I can remember watching from the Kop thinking Christ we're in trouble Barnsley are pissing on us. I think their team at the time had Ronnie Glavin at the heart of it possibly Aylott? McCarthy? Banks? and we had a pile of shite. Shudder

I have bad memories from either 79-80 or 80-81 when we played them at BL, whichever it was I can't remember the final score but I can remember watching from the Kop thinking Christ we're in trouble Barnsley are pissing on us. I think their team at the time had Ronnie Glavin at the heart of it possibly Aylott? McCarthy? Banks? and we had a pile of shite. Shudder
League cup in 1982? Glavin ran the show

Bad memeories of Adrian Heaths team surrendering (think it was his last match) heard him on the radio afterwards sounding like a mardy kid. Had to pay full price for my daughter on the away end as we didnt get tickets in advance when you could get concessions on the day in the home ends. Fekking scrounging Dingles !!!

The 1989/90 Cup game. Not only was the game a cracker, I went with a couple of my non-footballing mates. We were stood on the 'hill' behind the goal (left-hand one on the telly), just a slag-heap of cinders with the occasional railway sleepers and crush barriers.
At half-time, we went down the back to the toilets and there was a hot dog caravan doing a roaring trade. One of my mates said 'That's got to be a good earner.' After the final whistle, we and thousands of Blades made the trek back home. Re-tracing our steps down the rear of this 'stand', we noticed that the crowd in front of us mysteriously seemed to be walking about a foot above anybody else.
When we reached that point, we saw why. The caravan had been totally demolished and the crowd were treading over the remains! Bit yobbish, but fucking funny!

The first replay 0-0 was my first away game. A 30,000 crowd and I think they only had a couple of hundred seats at the time. Very different times. I remember being very squashed.

Does anyone have any stats for that billy sharp game im sure there was 5-6000 blades in a 10, 000 crowd but I did have a lot of booze that day

Remember there being loads of trouble a few years ago , got stopped by about thirty bbc on the way down asking who we supported
Then could hear it all kicking off up west st

Bryson last minute winner at Dingledell ,my only time ever on a pitch ,and Morgs scuffing Hume ,it was a bit tasty going back to the car.

Does anyone have any stats for that billy sharp game im sure there was 5-6000 blades in a 10, 000 crowd but I did have a lot of booze that day

Attendance was 15,798, I think there were about 6,500 blades there, so over a third of the attendance.

The Marcus Bent last minute goal was a good memory against the Dingles. Their double over us in the 1996/97 season was not! The away game live on sky was a sickener and all but ended our hopes of automatic promotion.

Back
Top Bottom