Mel Rees

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Before my time but seen quite a few of his highlights, fantastic keeper, gone but never forgotten RIP

Was at that game at Goodison all them years back.

Unbelievable save. He did quite a few in a short Blades career.

Fond memories.

God bless you Mel.

UTB

For a man who only played 9 games such love we have of him and to his family. What a great guy he was and an honour to have at our club.

I remember the girl that had Mel Rees RIP lettered all across her black leather jacket. She wore it for years after and probably still does bless her.

And who can forget that walk across the Wembley pitch.

I was right behind the net at Goodison Park when he made that save. Quite clear he was a good keeper in the short time he played for us.
I remember finding out his death as I walked down Carr Hill in Doncaster to the cricket ground from the railway station having travelled back from university in Liverpool to play. I bought a paper from a newsagent on Balby Road and was shocked to read about it- really sad end. Amazing how a man played 9 games could have such an impact on the club.

Wasn't his debut against Liverpool at home? I remember thinking when I heard that an unknown goalkeeper was in net that we wouldn't have a chance. He pulled off five or six fantastic saves and had one of the best games I've seen a Blades goalkeeper have. RIP.

Always remember the Kop singing "England's No1." and then hearing this shout of "HE'S WELSH!", and the song being changed on the hoof to "WALES Number 1.."

Sadly missed. Never Forgotten.

RIP Mel...

Wasn't his debut against Liverpool at home? I remember thinking when I heard that an unknown goalkeeper was in net that we wouldn't have a chance. He pulled off five or six fantastic saves and had one of the best games I've seen a Blades goalkeeper have. RIP.
I remember that game against Liverpool. We won and Brian Deane scored that goal where Bruce Grobellar was trying to dribble the ball out of his area. Deano nicked the ball off him and hit a 30 yard shot into the goal for 2-0 (I think). Mel Rees played a blinder. After the game I met some Liverpool fans in the pub. They were furious with Grobellar who they said was a clown and praised Mel. I told them he cost £25,000 and they said you mean £250,000? I said no £25000. They couldn't believe it. A great Basset steal and great keeper. A tragic loss but a Blades legend

Yeah and I'm not sure if it was the game that Deano scored from just inside their half

Remember seeing him and thinking what a keeper, still can't believe it was just 9 games

Yeah and I'm not sure if it was the game that Deano scored from just inside their half

Remember seeing him and thinking what a keeper, still can't believe it was just 9 games

It was 8 games. And we had a good run:

United 2 Liverpool 0
Villa 1 United 1
United 2 Oldham 0
Everton 0 United 2
United 2 Spurs 0
United 1 Arsenal 1
Notts County 1 United 3
United 2 Leeds 3

United 2 Liverpool 0
Villa 1 United 1
United 2 Oldham 0
Everton 0 United 2
United 2 Spurs 0
United 1 Arsenal 1
Notts County 1 United 3
United 2 Leeds 3
Brief but brilliant,
The most Saddest era in recent years for a lot of us, the wembley appearence is making my eyes well up now :(
Some Cardiff & Wales fans we swapped scarves with kept in touch for a number of years following his funeral,
(I cant remember much now about the 5? Of us going down now other than how solemn it was, but i do remember how generous the cardiff fans were back early june 93, i'll try scanning the newspaper article ive saved somewhere n get it up here?)

RIP Mel..

As others have said it was a brief spell, but we knew we'd a great keeper on our hands from day one, a sad loss to all..

Don't really know what to add. I saw him at Wembley, he looked pretty bad then bless him, but when I read that he had gone it was still very sad. A short stay, but a profound impact.

last home game of the season was an incredible game where an injury to Mel Rees, cost us a game where I sill dont know how we lost , they cleared 10 good chances and their first goal was offside and freakily lucky

last home game of the season was an incredible game where an injury to Mel Rees, cost us a game where I sill dont know how we lost , they cleared 10 good chances and their first goal was offside and freakily lucky

That was my first game. Cheers BTL

Was at that game at Goodison all them years back.

Unbelievable save. He did quite a few in a short Blades career.

Fond memories.

God bless you Mel.

UTB
Also there, what a save from Mel.
RIP
Never forgotton

United 2 Liverpool 0
Villa 1 United 1
United 2 Oldham 0
Everton 0 United 2
United 2 Spurs 0
United 1 Arsenal 1
Notts County 1 United 3
United 2 Leeds 3

We drew with Villa due to a last minute equaliser by them as well.

What had happened to Tracy and Kelly?

We drew with Villa due to a last minute equaliser by them as well.

What had happened to Tracy and Kelly?
Tracey injured his shoulder after a challenge by Wise in our 2-1 win (Whitehouse scored both goals) at Chelsea. Kelly was still at Preston

At Goodison we were singing "Wales Wales number 1". At the start of the second half, Neville Southall ran to the goal in front of the United fans to be greeted by chants of "Wales Wales number 2!"

Yes a game characterised by him and Deano's 'wonder goal'.

23 years ago yesterday. 26 years is no age to pass. RIP

The finest goalkeeping performance I have witnessed and this wasn't the best save he made that day. That came with pretty much a replica of Gordon Banks famous Pele save. Has anyone ever made such an impact in such a short space of time? 8 games was it?

RIP Mel, gone but never forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom