McGahey looking promising

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
I've got to say I was quite impressed with him when he came on. He looked physical, demanding and won everything that came near him. He looked raw, and quite nervous when Clough threw him in at the deep end last season, but his confidence has risen considerably since and he actually looked quite a player today.

I wouldn't have any qualms if Adkins decided to try Edgar and McGahey as a central defensive partnership until we manage to sign someone. Although Collins had a great game today, and doesn't show any lack of desire, his pace, athleticism and stamina are three qualities McGahey and possibly Edgar can surpass him on.

Edgar began his time here well, but has since looked quite soft and afraid, so I wouldn't mind if McGahey could eventually replaced him if Collins manages to keep his performance level as high as today.

It's still early days for McGahey, but today I thought he gave a glimmer of what the Blackpool coaching staff, any many others were raving about when we signed him.

Thought he did well but we need a leader next to him, I don't think Collins is that man, we kept inviting trouble trying to defend from the 18 yard area when we should be pushing out and driving them backwards, as they did to us.

An organised Centre half should gaffer the back 4

He took his goal well, credit where it's due

That great tackle from Freeman came about as a result of a bad (and typical) error from him. He rushed to close down when he shouldn't have and left a big gap behind him which they exploited. Also played a couple of really poor balls under no pressure but he wasn't the only one.

He headed it well but that's about it.

Probably due to age, but McGahey has an error in him just about every game, a bit like JMac

And he's wearing square boots, along with Collins, who has a square head (well sometimes)

We need a couple of brick shithouse leaders

That great tackle from Freeman came about as a result of a bad (and typical) error from him. He rushed to close down when he shouldn't have and left a big gap behind him which they exploited. Also played a couple of really poor balls under no pressure but he wasn't the only one.

He headed it well but that's about it.
Every young lad is bound to make a few errors easily rectified by experience and game time, I wouldn't say the mistake(s) he made were too much down to quality, purely inexperience. It's more worrying when players like McEveley and Collins, of quite some experience are still making these types of errors. I just thought he looked a step above from where he was at under Clough.

I don"t think anyone at the back impressed and our attacking play saved the day. How we can continue to fail to bring anyone in - both at the back and in midfield - is staggering.

Well I will be taking legal action over the heart attack he gave me when fired that back pass back at Howard, other than that I agree he looked a good player although i'd give him a little bit more time before i'd start him but hopefully we've got a good CB there in a season or two.

I think Edgar and Mcgahey would be too quiet a partnership. I'd rather have Collins bollocking someone.

To be fair to him I thought he had a good game today. It's about time as well.

Totally disagree, was awful and mceverley must be wondering why Collins isn't getting the same grief. 2nd equaliser was his fault for being too deep, couldn't pass forward without giving it away then bollocking him for it. He's getting a free ride from people because the defence is so poor.

Totally disagree, was awful and mceverley must be wondering why Collins isn't getting the same grief. 2nd equaliser was his fault for being too deep, couldn't pass forward without giving it away then bollocking him for it. He's getting a free ride from people because the defence is so poor.
McEveley was awful but that hardly comes as a surprise anymore. Collins is usually nowhere near good enough, and did make some mistakes today but I thought he made up for it in how solid he was at other times in the game.

McEveley played awful but that hardly comes as a surprise anymore. Collins is usually nowhere near good enough, and did make some mistakes today but I thought he made up for it in how solid he was at other times in the game.

Missed all his good bits, apart from the winner. What else?

Missed all his good bits, apart from the winner. What else?
Generally battled well, won most if not all of his headers. He might not be the most elegant of players but he did the dirty side of the game well today. Like I say, he lost possession a few times but I'll let him off for that with his goal. It's a rarity, but a solid performance overall.

Collins did much better today than Edgar did at Vale last week.

It's very difficult to square the centre half equation at the Lane with the current players. Kennedy would be a shoe-in but it's unlikely we'd get a full month out of him, never mind a season. Collins has to be in as he's the only one at the club with anything like leadership qualities, however he needs to be next to a brick shithouse (ie someone like Maguire) as he isn't strong enough, physically, to play the attack-everything role. Edgar is another that would benefit playing next to a dominant centre half and additionally doesn't seem the most vocal on the pitch. McGahey?? Looked better today than he did, say, a year ago but can we really rely on a centre half on the promise of 45 minutes v Rochdale.

For me all answers lead to get a big f***-off centre half, pronto. But most of us have known this since Maguire left the club 15 months ago... criminal that he was never replaced last summer.

Collins did much better today than Edgar did at Vale last week.

It's very difficult to square the centre half equation at the Lane with the current players. Kennedy would be a shoe-in but it's unlikely we'd get a full month out of him, never mind a season. Collins has to be in as he's the only one at the club with anything like leadership qualities, however he needs to be next to a brick shithouse (ie someone like Maguire) as he isn't strong enough, physically, to play the attack-everything role. Edgar is another that would benefit playing next to a dominant centre half and additionally doesn't seem the most vocal on the pitch. McGahey?? Looked better today than he did, say, a year ago but can we really rely on a centre half on the promise of 45 minutes v Rochdale.

For me all answers lead to get a big f***-off centre half, pronto. But most of us have known this since Maguire left the club 15 months ago... criminal that he was never replaced last summer.
I'm not saying we should rely on him. I'm just pointing out that he looked to have shown some real signs of improvement from a few of his horror shows under Clough.

I'll always remember the time he tried shielding it for Howard despite it being so evident the best thing to do was to clear it. Howard didn't fancy coming for it but he persisted to shield until he did. The crowd were going mental for him to clear, but he wasn't having any of it.

McGahey looked decent, then again after JMac and Collins' performances I'd say that even id look half decent!

Played very well. Just that his distribution that was pretty woeful at times (& had Matt Done tearing his hair out once or twice). But he was very dominant in the air & always willing to receive the ball to feet.

Don't think the problems we faced today were with any one of today's three centre-backs (as Rochdale did their intricate passing moves in front of them). It was more Rochdale's passing quality & continuing difficulties with the set-up in midfield (especially because Basham just isn't a defensive/sitting midfielder & never will be IMO).

We did sit far too deep though in the 2nd half (due to worries about a lack of pace?) which just invited Rochdale onto us. Wasn't this the very thing that caused the Clough-Collins fall out?

I've got to say I was quite impressed with him when he came on. He looked physical, demanding and won everything that came near him. He looked raw, and quite nervous when Clough threw him in at the deep end last season, but his confidence has risen considerably since and he actually looked quite a player today.

I wouldn't have any qualms if Adkins decided to try Edgar and McGahey as a central defensive partnership until we manage to sign someone. Although Collins had a great game today, and doesn't show any lack of desire, his pace, athleticism and stamina are three qualities McGahey and possibly Edgar can surpass him on.

Edgar began his time here well, but has since looked quite soft and afraid, so I wouldn't mind if McGahey could eventually replaced him if Collins manages to keep his performance level as high as today.

It's still early days for McGahey, but today I thought he gave a glimmer of what the Blackpool coaching staff, any many others were raving about when we signed him.

As you say Barny, the Blackpool staff were raving about him, and although he still young, he should be really be pressing on now for a first team place. Feared the worst when he came on but he played very well.

Also thought he looked good at Fulham and on Tuesday. Collins was better today, clearly we need to sign someone there but I don't think the individual players are nearly as bad as everyone makes out. Everyone's constantly over dramatic.

I thought Collins was absolutely atrocious first half, far worse than McEverley. Time and again he gave the ball away with sloppy passes, putting us immediately under pressure. Quite frankly, he is simply a long way off good enough to be considered as part of the spine of a promotion winning side. It's just a case of "In the Kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King"

Clearly Adkins wants the team to develop play from the back, but with the exception of Freeman none of our defenders seem comfortable with the ball at their feet. Makes me wonder if maybe he should consider some replacements? Radical I know. :(

I think Edgar and Mcgahey would be too quiet a partnership. I'd rather have Collins bollocking someone.
Collins says fuck all and provides no organisation until he drops a reckit then bollocks one of the younger players. He was largely shit again today so I'd rather Macgahey get a game than Collins.

If a player is going to be bollocking others he needs to be leading by example himself, otherwise there's no respect.

I don't think Collins is good enough to command that respect.

Well fair enough, my point was more about having someone vocal than Collins ability. I just think at least one of the centre backs needs to take charge of the back 4.

Well fair enough, my point was more about having someone vocal than Collins ability. I just think at least one of the centre backs needs to take charge of the back 4.

But he's not. He shouts at people when it's usually one of his own mistakes. People switch off to shit like that

I thought Collins was absolutely atrocious first half, far worse than McEverley. Time and again he gave the ball away with sloppy passes, putting us immediately under pressure. Quite frankly, he is simply a long way off good enough to be considered as part of the spine of a promotion winning side. It's just a case of "In the Kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King"

Clearly Adkins wants the team to develop play from the back, but with the exception of Freeman none of our defenders seem comfortable with the ball at their feet. Makes me wonder if maybe he should consider some replacements? Radical I know. :(

5 of us who normally go sat in 3 different stands for whatever reason yesterday and all said how bad he was without prompting. Some were even 'fans'. McEvereley obviously needs to be here 5 years before he's accepted like fucking Collins

Collins is Collins and until we find someone better he's the best we have.if Clough had not kicked him out when we had no one better he may well have still been here crazy decision by Clough and one of the issues which the board tackled him with at the inquest on our failure.
Yes we want better but until that
time comes he is worth his place
come on blades get behind him
he always gives it his best shot and you cannot ask for more than that.
I look forward to the day we can replace him but come on back the lads

Back
Top Bottom