McGahey and Howard

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ThatJa

Bigger Blade than United's Arab Emirate
Reaction score
When the McGahey was holding the ball close to the pen spot whilst a Yeovil player was pressing him, who do you think was at fault? Howard or McGahey?

Just wondering..

McGahey should have just wellied it clear, having said that I would have hoped Howard would be screaming at him to do just that.

When the McGahey was holding the ball close to the pen spot whilst a Yeovil player was pressing him, who do you think was at fault? Howard or McGahey?

Just wondering..

HM2 was to blame. Never ever ever ever rely on someone else in that part of the pitch.

Anyone got a clip?
I was on the kop and couldn't work out who was closest to the ball

Well iv watched it now about 10 times on Blades player.. From what i can make out, Mcgahey doesnt take a touch as the balls rolling forward, hence the blocking of the man so for me, Howard should have come and got it.. BUT, i do agree he should have wellied it away.. Its 50/50 to be fair, both at fault and mcgahey is holding his arms out to Howard but Howard seems too just stand there, bemused so maybe, as an experienced keeper he could have been a little more vocal.. I think his move was just, but it didnt quite work out like that

I was on the Lane end upper so had a good view of it. To me McGahey misread the situation, he was hoping to shepherd it back to Howard but it was never on, then he just seemed to freeze. As soon as he picked up the keeper wasn't coming for it the defender in him should have kicked in and he should have booted it into row z.

Funnily enough Basham did something similar 5 minutes later when he tried to shield one out for a goal kick and got caught out, both defenders were lucky to get away with it. Still require a no nonsense centre half, who gets onto all the first balls and organises the rest of the defence.

If in doubt, kick it out.

One of the oldest principles in football - comes from the Chris Morgan book of Centre halves - bet he went bonkers in training with Mcgahey today.

UTB

Another is for the goalkeeper - if a defender and attacker are challenging for the ball in such a situation, don't get involved.

George Long was wrongly criticised for a similar situation a couple of seasons ago.

This reminds me of the Marcus Williams V George Long incident under Wilson. Think it was against Exeter?

I ain't gonna criticise Howard but we can do better he's a bit of a juggler / window cleaner we need better sorry but you know I'm right

Claude Davis cost us a win in our Premiership season against - I think - Portsmouth. Tried to usher a ball back to Paddy Kenny when it never had the legs. Defender's fault completely.

Claude Davis cost us a win in our Premiership season against - I think - Portsmouth. Tried to usher a ball back to Paddy Kenny when it never had the legs. Defender's fault completely.

Oh god, don't remind me. I've only just got over that!

Are we allowed to say he was 6 inches from making amends, but hit the post instead?

Kenny didn't play in goal that day, it was Paul Gerrard.. Kenny was always like shit off a shovel coming out in those situations and I wonder if that's why Davis never cleared it. One of so many occassions that season when we were so close to those couple of points that would have kept us up.

I thought that Howard should have been off his line and thrown himself at McGahey's feet. But before that Mc Gahey should have hoofed it

Are we allowed to say he was 6 inches from making amends, but hit the post instead?

So in other words he didn't make amends, and had he exercised better judgement in the first place no amends would have been necessary.

Not this time Howard had to be aware of the forward getting a foot in ,Magahey should always err on the side of ,get fucking rid. I think all the other centre backs we have would have.
its hoof every time in situations like that (clear your lines) from morgs manual on defending 100% right

Back
Top Bottom