McEveley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How did he do last night?
With all the Doyle and Baxter talk I didn't realise Harris was dropped.
I really want to get a settled side now but I'm all for people getting a chance. I'm not a massive Harris fan to be honest

How did he do last night?

Very, very well. Had the pacey Mendez-Liang in his pocket and was solid under the high ball, of which there were a lot. I was impressed; Harris has a job on getting his place back.

Only slight question mark is over his attacking side but with Alcock on the other side bombing forward and Murphy on the wing ahead of him that might not be a bad thing.

So McEveley was LB, with Murphy in front, and Alcock at RB with Davies in front of him?
With Doyle and Basham in the middle - was that the line up?

"So McEveley was LB, with Murphy in front, and Alcock at RB with Davies in front of him?
With Doyle and Basham in the middle - was that the line up?"

Yes.

All four wide players did very well. Think Doyle and Collins experience helped hold the team together, but both looked a little rusty at times. For me McGahey, Basham and McNulty were poor.

Thought McEvely was excellent. A really solid performance against a tricky winger (2nd half against Mendez-Laing - who switched at half time). He was strong, good in the air and defended well. He worked very hard and was throwing himself into challenges, tackles and headers. He's a real warrior and really impressed me. He did not get forward that much, but defensively he was excellent. A very good debut.

Very, very well. Had the pacey Mendez-Liang in his pocket and was solid under the high ball, of which there were a lot. I was impressed; Harris has a job on getting his place back.

Only slight question mark is over his attacking side but with Alcock on the other side bombing forward and Murphy on the wing ahead of him that might not be a bad thing.

But I thought he was the worst player we've ever signed?! There were some full on hissy fits about him on here!

He was very calm and efficient - not a player that will get many comments moving forward but as a defender I see that as a positive !

Really impressed with him. Think the back 4 last night will play on Saturday and are now 'in possession'.

The new Delboy at RB was top draw again.

I'm a Harris fan,but to be honest, he needs a kick up the old harris after his first few performances and McEvely has given it him,its now upto Harris to get his position back and then try to hold onto it,but when he gets that chance is all down to McEvely keeping hold of his spot.

A massive hats off to Cloughy on this one for putting him in at this time.

"Really impressed with him. Think the back 4 last night will play on Saturday and are now 'in possession'."

I hope not, thought McGahey looked very shaky last night. Know he's a young lad learning his trade but he'd be better doing that in the reserves. For me, Butler should be in Saturday, or if Cloughy doesn't fancy him, get a proper dominating centre half brought in. There should be £2m+ burning a hole in his pocket to spend on a decent centre half.

"Really impressed with him. Think the back 4 last night will play on Saturday and are now 'in possession'."

I hope not, thought McGahey looked very shaky last night. Know he's a young lad learning his trade but he'd be better doing that in the reserves. For me, Butler should be in Saturday, or if Cloughy doesn't fancy him, get a proper dominating centre half brought in. There should be £2m+ burning a hole in his pocket to spend on a decent centre half.
Bit harsh on the young lad if you ask me.Collins was absolutely all over the place last night and i don't mind Collins,he improved second half though but that was more down to them tiring if i'm honest.Stick with McGahey because i think he will be a good un,give the lad a chance,he's only played 3 competitive matches for us.

I do indeed have a bit of a man crush on the 'milky bar kid' moDtheGod but that is purely based on how he played on Tuesday neet. I had not really encountered him before, so my affections come down to his 'muck n nettles' 110% style I saw on the pitch.

I thought that Magey looked shaky too. Him and Collins were all over the place and could easily have been punished. They failed to deal with high balls and looked very nervous when Poosh attacked. There were a few lets offs (Howard's excellent save in the first half, them hitting the post first period, Peterborough missed an absolute sitter at 1-1 and Howard saving at the end). I'd probably sticck with that back line, but only if Cllough has fallen out with Butler. Otherwise I woould put the latter in. Collins improved as the game went on, but he has a tendency to get outmuscled and lose a yard (the goal was his fault as he let their defender get goal side of him and steal a yard). However the full backs should stay as they are and we need to get the strongest back 4 and stick with it. They need time to work together and build up a bit of an understanding. If the centre back pairing is Collins and Magahey then so be it, but we should stick with it and let them build a partnership.

The centre halves should be McGahey + another. Collins was shaky last night and as Ollessendro says, we were lucky that more of their mistakes didn't get punished. However, the preseason débacle and the Mansfield game showed that Collins and Butler just don't work together as a pairing - they're basically the same player, one left footed and the other right footed.

Yes, McGahey's wasn't a 10-out-of-10 performance and yes, he's not at the level Maguire was last season but to be honest, I think he's got the potential to be as good if not better than Big Harry given the chance.

Mcevely's first thirty minutes were as bad a debut (for an outfield player) as I can remember. He seemed to try to leave every ball. He did get better and better as time went on though.

Collins has to play for me, McGahey looked a bit too keen to win the ball and prone to mis-kicks and mis-timed challenges. Collins looked a bit dodgy but he was non-stop talk and organising. This talking from him and Doyle is what turned the game for me. Both are not too technically gifted but showed their experience and value to the team.

I'm yet to 'get' the McGahey hype. He has all the physical attributes that you'd expect of a stereotypical CB but I haven't seen anything that makes him stand out, so far i'd say Kennedy (when fit) looked more accomplished last season. When Maguire came in he looked shaky, but he could pick a pass exquisitely and bomb forward whereas McGahey seems to lumps it forward. It's early days so I would be happy to be proved wrong!

Last edited:
"I'm yet to 'get' the McGahey hype."
I'm failing to see it as well. Think he's come with a reputation as the next big think so possibly some are seeing that as he can do no wrong. I thought he was all over the place Tuesday night, wasn't tight enough when he needed to be, sliced clearances, poor reading of the game/positional sense and wasn't great in the air.
Don't think Collins was brilliant either, he should have done better with the goal and was shaky for the next few minutes after. That apart he gave an ok 6/10 performance, although as one or two others have said you can't put a price on his organising of the rest of the defence. He just needs to get games under his belt to get back to his usual reliable self, as was evident as the game wore on. Collins has had 3 years were he has been more than adequate at this level, something I don't think Clough should be binning off for a decidedly dodgy teenager or out of position right-back

"I'm yet to 'get' the McGahey hype."
I'm failing to see it as well. Think he's come with a reputation as the next big think so possibly some are seeing that as he can do no wrong. I thought he was all over the place Tuesday night, wasn't tight enough when he needed to be, sliced clearances, poor reading of the game/positional sense and wasn't great in the air.
Don't think Collins was brilliant either, he should have done better with the goal and was shaky for the next few minutes after. That apart he gave an ok 6/10 performance, although as one or two others have said you can't put a price on his organising of the rest of the defence. He just needs to get games under his belt to get back to his usual reliable self, as was evident as the game wore on. Collins has had 3 years were he has been more than adequate at this level, something I don't think Clough should be binning off for a decidedly dodgy teenager or out of position right-back
You thought Collins only had a few shaky minutes after the goal and thats ito_O,i'm not been funny but Collins had a nightmare nearly all of that first half,but having said all that,Collins brought Maguire through and i think he could do the same with McGahey.They are bound to have a few dodgy moments but they will get it right together.

On the whole though,with the sounds of it,you're willing to let Collins make mistakes because he can organise the rest of the defence and has experience,even though he couldn't even organise his self for that first half,yet as soon as our young lad makes a mistake he gets criticised straight away and has to be taken out of the team.Well i categorically don't agree.We have to start building in some positions,just incase we get promoted,because i'll tell you what,Butler and Collins ain't got a chance of playing together in league 1 never mind the Championship if the friendlies are anything to go by.

So for me,we have to try and let the partnership between Collins and McGahey blossom,even though we will get plenty of errors between now and the end of the season,and they all won't be from McGahey as you are trying to make out.

Mcevely's first thirty minutes were as bad a debut (for an outfield player) as I can remember. He seemed to try to leave every ball. He did get better and better as time went on though.

Collins has to play for me, McGahey looked a bit too keen to win the ball and prone to mis-kicks and mis-timed challenges. Collins looked a bit dodgy but he was non-stop talk and organising. This talking from him and Doyle is what turned the game for me. Both are not too technically gifted but showed their experience and value to the team.
Did you get back to UK to watch that game?

Back
Top Bottom